• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New DFI nF4 Ultra-D build...so perty!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
TimoneX said:
With regards to SLI lite, semi SLI, or whatever you want to call SLI w/o a bridge, it simply wasn't very successful. I began with forceware beta 71.81, but had little confidence since I've been tracking krag's thread and requested he test SLI w/ the bridge removed. It came as no surprise when 3dmark01se greeted me with only a blank screen. Next I grabbed 66.74, which was the closest I could find to the highly sought 66.75. This DID work, but there were artifacts all over the screen and the scores weren't any better than a single card. I then got decided to swap the 2 video cards putting the injured one in the primary slot and the good one in PCI-E4. Running 2001se again resulted in corruption on only a two inch band on top and a two inch band on the left side of the screen. I assume this implies that the artifacts are being caused by the damaged card. I've since shipped the damaged card back to newegg, so further SLI testing will have to wait.

Something odd I've noticed is that the newest bios(2/17) will not allow me to post with one vid card if the board is configured for SLI. Previous bios versions would post. If you configure the modded board for normal operation and have only one card installed a "hidden" bios option seems to appear entitled "Dual 6600GT card support" and the options are Enabled, Disabled, and Auto. I haven't a clue what this is about, but I'm thinking it's a DFI attempt to defeat nVidia's crackdown "unauthorized" SLI. Not being able to explore this further at present really really makes me angry with newegg for wrecking my second video card. Oh well patience *IS* supposed to be a virtue after all. Trouble is I lost my virtue 2 decades ago. :p

Seems like nvidia and DFI (new Bios) both trying to close the hole for the, as u call "semi" SLI. Too bad!! :temper: I was wondering what will happen if we just set jumpers to "SLI" on a Ultra without mod the chip (and of course without SLI bridge). will we have the 8X on both slots?
On the other side, if we finally find some 3rd part bridge, are we able to drive 2 monitors? ;)

just trying ti figure out how this works

I don't believe DFI is trying to close this hole at all, I think their stance has been to placate nVidia and nothing more. It's DFI that created this entire hole to begin with. To my knowledge there isn't another board like the Ultra-D w/ any facilities to reconfigure PCI-E lanes to 8x 8x shipping with an Ultra chip. The reconfiguring is done in hardware(jumpers) so I see no reason why it wouldn't reconfigure to 8x 8x whether there's an Ultra, SLI, or modded Ultra chip under the hood. What DFI has done here has been to tick off their supplier in order to bring a board to market a chipset maker would never want to see the light of day. It's a situation very much like Abit was in with the BP6, which enabled dual operation with old PII celeries.

Now here's an interesting twist. The v71.80 drivers work but drop my score by 150 marks or so. Then I got curious and did the secondleveldatacache=200 tweak. This caused v71.81 drivers to work, but also at a lower score than I got with v70.41(w/o tweak). Investigating benchmarks(everest & P95) shows that with the tweak my memory scores are far lower, like 8% lower. It seems like increasing the datacache to 512k in windows is introducing more latency and allowing the tests to run...albeit w/ slower performance.

I think tweaker is just misreporting it actually. It's set to cas 1.5 in BIOS.

I had to increase the read preamble to 6.0(from 5.5) to get 3dmark03 to complete with Forceware v71.81 installed. Unfortunately it's still slower than 70.41 by a little over 100pts.

TimoneX , do you know if your board is compatible with the Zalman 7700-Cu heatsink 120mm fan?

OakenGoby said:
TimoneX:
After seeing how far you have come with that TwinMOS SP with Winbond UTT chips, I am considering trying some. Here is a link to some TwinMOS memory on Newegg, is this what you ordered and just hoped it was the Winbond UTT?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=1

Thanks!

A few people have ordered this ram and said they received it with UTT chips. I bought some last week, they'll be here on Monday so I'll be able to confirm if some of them come with the sweet chips. I think with this ram as well as the sp ram you could receive UTT or some other brand that no one seems to like.

OK,
So this isn't the SP Ram, I haven't seen it on Newegg's site, maybe they are out and took it off. What is the difference between this and the SP? Is SP more likely to have the UTT chips? My other current choice is the OCZ Gold VX PC3200. But if I can save over a $100 in going with this stuff I will.

OakenGoby said:
OK,
So this isn't the SP Ram, I haven't seen it on Newegg's site, maybe they are out and took it off. What is the difference between this and the SP? Is SP more likely to have the UTT chips? My other current choice is the OCZ Gold VX PC3200. But if I can save over a $100 in going with this stuff I will.

All I've read is that Twinmos uses at least two vendors.... Windbond and some other company.... it seems both the Twinmos ram uses the UTT.... really its just luck of the draw....

So, there is no real difference between the Twinmos SP and others, are there any reviews anyone has found on the net about the Twinmos with Winbond chips?

OakenGoby said:
TimoneX:
After seeing how far you have come with that TwinMOS SP with Winbond UTT chips, I am considering trying some. Here is a link to some TwinMOS memory on Newegg, is this what you ordered and just hoped it was the Winbond UTT?
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-062&depa=1

Thanks!

No I got the Twinmos Speed Premium sticks. Like these:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-218-405&depa=0

Some of the guys have said they got UTT with the TMII kits like you linked, but I believe they're always 50D(5.0ns) chips. Either way it's a gamble and the TMSP chips are generally of a higher quality, and only a few bucks more. All of this explains why they disappear so quickly. :)

HousERaT said:
All I've read is that Twinmos uses at least two vendors.... Windbond and some other company.... it seems both the Twinmos ram uses the UTT.... really its just luck of the draw....

Twinmos uses the Infineon(winbond) UTT chips and PSC chips on their stuff. You can get lucky with the TMII or TMSP and get UTT chips, but the TMSP has the 44D chips whereas I believe everyone that's received UTT chips with the TMII sticks has received the 50D chips.

TimoneX said:
Twinmos uses the Infineon(winbond) UTT chips and PSC chips on their stuff. You can get lucky with the TMII or TMSP and get UTT chips, but the TMSP has the 44D chips whereas I believe everyone that's received UTT chips with the TMII sticks has received the 50D chips.

Thanks for the info bro... guess it's good I got both..... now if I can just get lucky enough to receive the UTT chips.... I swear if I get four sticks of UTT, I'm calling in sick.... :)

So TimoneX, how many volts do you have pouring into those 44Ds? (sounds like a bra size.... :)) and what is your final fsb and timings?

Back