• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Egg and Tax

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I see where as a non California resident I'm now getting charged for state tax when I order something from New Egg. Didn't realize it but they now have a physical presence in Washington state and have been expanding their operations to do the same in many other states as well, Canada and internationally as they have been bought out by a Chinese firm. This takes away most of my incentive to use New Egg for bigger ticket items and will likely cause me to shift more of my business to Amazon since if I'm going to pay state tax anyway I might as well take advantage of my Amazon Prime membership and get faster delivery. I'll still be looking for sales on NewEgg, however.

Also, what happened to the "Vendors" disscussion section that used to be on OC forums. Couldn't find it just now. Found it. Wasn't scrolling down far enough.

Last edited:
Hehe, I stopped buying from azmaon when I was back in Florida and they started charging taxes.

Same here. We have distribution warehouse for Amazon and newegg. Now I get taxed for both, but amazon seems to ship and arrive much faster. Only using newegg on rare occasion now. Tear.

Actually, sometimes Walmart has great buys on computer components! They sort of quietly eased into the market. And one day I discovered that I could buy computer components on Walmart. Imagine that! Next thing you know you be able to pick up a "super sized" motherboard at McDonalds with fries.

Yeah, totally forgot about that! Got on their website quite a while back and saw some rx 480's I think. Thought it was like a 3rd party market place thing. Is that still the case or are they selling them directly?

Oh he was serious!? I thought Sir Trents meant sarcasm when I reached for fries.

Off topic, YESS! I thanked everybody here :)

I guess you guys have just been lucky. Here in Canada I have had to pay PST/HST/GST or whatever they want to call it next year since I have been able to use newegg to buy bits. 10 years maybe? Amazon isn't my first choice. I prefer Canada Computers brick and mortar. Get it immediately no shipping and they price match, selection is usually pretty good excep for ram that's just cheap junk for the most part.

Last edited:
You guys all realize you're legally obligated to report any purchases where sales tax is not assessed during the purchase process while doing your yearly US taxes, correct?

You guys all realize you're legally obligated to report any purchases where sales tax is not assessed during the purchase process while doing your yearly US taxes, correct?

Assuming you don't live in a state without sales tax like Oregon or Delaware.

While this is true, what percentage of people do you think actually do this?
And is it really worth everybody's time to actually track and prosecute every person that didn't?
It's a government scare tactic.

While this is true, what percentage of people do you think actually do this?
And is it really worth everybody's time to actually track and prosecute every person that didn't?
It's a government scare tactic.

Never said that a high percentage of people do this or that the government is going to track down every person who doesn't. Simply stating what is/isn't legal.
It's also a national law to always signal when turning/merging in a vehicle, even in a dedicated turn lane. How many people (especially in cities) do that? How many get pulled over for not signaling?

Back