• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New fan makes huge difference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

Installed a SILVERSTONE FHP-141 140mmx38mm fan on one end of my Coolermaster Nepton 280L AIO and knocked off 3c from idle temps and 7c from max load temps! Amazing! I wish there were clearance on the other end of the radiator for another one but there isn't. Got a Yate Loon 140x25 on the way, however which should do better than what's there now which is a Delta 120x25mm high speed fan. The Delta moves a lot of air but doesn't completely cover the 140mm wide radiator.

The SILVERSTONE FHP-141 is simply an amazing fan! Huge static pressure increase over the stock 25mm thick fan and you can really feel the difference in the volume of air coming out the top of the rad. The Silverstone is also quieter than the stock fan at full throttle and you can turn it down to almost nothing with a fan controller before it stalls. Really low impedence.

Last edited:
doubt the the YL will be better.. it has nowhere near the Static Pressure the FHP has

Thruth is, there not a lot 140x25mm @12v with decent SP.
There's the AP-141 & the Bitfenix Spectre Pro... AND the NZXT FX-140KRX-PWM (which comes with the Kraken X60)
Delta & SanAce has nothing, only 140x38.
ADDA or Sunon or MNB has a 140x32

Of course, you could always mount some serious fannage on the outside of the case :)
like these: http://www.sunon.com/tw/products/pdf/DCFAN/PF14038_0.pdf
https://db.sanyodenki.co.jp/product_db_e/coolingfan/dcfan/dc_fan_detail.php?master_id=2312

Rollie, your extremism never cease to amaze me. :rofl: 5k-6k RPM fans? Really dude?! looool

You always liked extra ketchup on your fries don't you? :p Or in my case, extra onions in my sammiches.

43552465.jpg

Back on topic everyone. Nothing to see here. Carry on.

(My apologies OP, Rollie made me do it) :chair:

doubt the the YL will be better.. it has nowhere near the Static Pressure the FHP has

You misunderstood what I said I think. I'm not replacing the Silverstone FHP with the 140x25mm Yate Loon. I'm putting the Yate loon in the other fan spot where there is not enough clearance to put another FHP. The 8 pin 12v connector is flush with the edge of the motherboard in that area. The Yate Loon 140mm High Speed will be replacing the Delta 120x25 mm.

You misunderstood what I said I think. I'm not replacing the Silverstone FHP with the 140x25mm Yate Loon. I'm putting the Yate loon in the other fan spot where there is not enough clearance to put another FHP. The 8 pin 12v connector is flush with the edge of the motherboard in that area. The Yate Loon 140mm High Speed will be replacing the Delta 120x25 mm.

okidoki :thup:

Anyone see the aerocool Deadsilence fans? I've got them running on my 140mm rad's and they seem to move a good bit of air.

Anyone see the aerocool Deadsilence fans? I've got them running on my 140mm rad's and they seem to move a good bit of air.

look, a fan with "go faster" stripes :)

Then again, they must have done something right, since almost 2mm H²O is very respectable.

Not cheap thou

Well I think they're more along the lines of a fan with the "go faster while lookin pretty cool" stripes. Their performance is pretty good though.

Got the high speed 140mm Yate Loons yesterday and replaced the 120mm Delta with one of them. Max load temps are the same so no gain or loss there but the Yate Loon is much quieter. With my Sunbeam Rehobus fan controller I can turn that fan down to where it's barely turning. It has very little impedance. I have never seen a fan that could be turned down that low without stalling. Although it doesn't move as much air at full speed as I had hoped the low impedance is really impressive. The Yate Loons are sleeve bearing fans, however, so my only concern is how long it will last, particularly in that vertical blow orientation.

Okay, got to eat some crow here. The new fan (Silverstone 140x38mm) didn't make a huge difference as I thought. Somehow, my bios settings got changed and the 6c difference I thought I was getting were due to the bios change to a lower frequency, voltages and restoration of the green settings. Two Yate Loon 140 mm high speed fans gave the same temps and were much quieter.

But all that is irrelevant as the Nepton 280L pump developed an annoying high pitch squeal. I removed the cooler and replaced it with my trusty old super quiet Noctua D14 which gave me max load temps only 4c higher. And no worries about some component failing like the pump. I've got my 2600k oveclock fine tuned now and running on lower voltages so not so many watts to cool. The Noctua would fall behind more and more I'm sure if there were more watts to take care of but for what I have now it's very adequate. Max load temps under Prime95 or IBT are 69c.

I'm hoping Coolermaster will give me an RMA on the Nepton and if so I may just sell the replacement if that happens. Would like to get one of those Swiftech AIO systems with the 120x3 radiator someday anyway.

let me know when you get the rad, I have a few syth ultra kaze, 120x38-3000 rpm fans laying around.

let me know when you get the rad, I have a few syth ultra kaze, 120x38-3000 rpm fans laying around.

Thanks for the offer, Caddi Daddi. I'll keep that in mind. Don't know if I'll get that Swiftech system anytime soon. My Noctual is more than enough to handle the 2600k at the frequency and voltage levels of the present overclock.

Anybody had any experience with Coolermaster tech support and RMAs?

Okay, this is maddening! CoreTemp and HWMonitor give me max load core temp readings 8c lower than Realtemp. I've researched this and apparently it has to do with using different TJ Max values as the reference point. Since I was using different monitoring software at different times I am now completely unsure what actual effect changing fans has had. Most often, however, I've used HWMonitor which seems to agree with CoreTemp.

By the way, I have found CoreTemp to be unstable. Sometimes it will open to the desktop and sometimes it will open to the notification area and sometimes it won't open at all. And sometimes when I right click on the desktop icon the rnenu is grayed out. Anyone else having trouble with this utility?

i havent had any issues with CT loading like that. i update CT about every 2-3months even though its on my 920 rig.

From my understanding, real temp is best used with intel chips. HW and some others are usually used for AMD but HW should be close with real temp.

There is a built in tool for Realtemp where you can change the TJ Max default value if you want. The default is 105c which is probably closer to being accurate for IB and Haswell but I've read the TJ Max for SB is more like 95c. CoreTemp uses 98c for the SB TJ Max and apparently HWMonitor does as well since they agree with each other.

Back