• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Grafics card, possible bottleneck?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

clownet1

Hello! My name is Kevin and im new to this forum, and i hope you can help me out with some questions.

I just got a Gtx 660Ti in a birthday present. Tho my friends told me that my cpu wont support it bcuz of BD´s poor Gaming preformance.

This is what im Running atm:
Cpu: Fx-6100 with stock cooler @stock speed 3,3 (3,8 boost)
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M (Link:http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/M5A78LM_LX/)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8192MB 1600MHz
Harddrive: Seagate 1000GB 7200RPM 32MB
PSU: Corsair Gaming Series GS600 - 600Watt - 80Plus

(GPU link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127697)

So my question is:
Will it bottleneck and if it does bottleneck should i try overclock if i could get my hands on a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

Ps. I do not wanna sell my Cpu. My friend told me to buy his AMD Phenom II X4 965 3,4GHz Black Edition, but i rather save my money for the new AMd cpu that will come in an near future (I hope).Ds.

Thanks in advance!

Regards Kevin:)

First off, your friend is just trying to get you to buy his Phenom. I'm not on top of the 6xx series but I don't see how you could bottleneck unless you are playing at a really low resolution. You should be good to install it and go :)

Ah ok... Tho im so confused by all these reviews that tell me that the Fx-6100 is bad for gaming generally and the older Amd processor is even better... This has made me think ALOT on this matter. And i am no expert but is the Amd Fx-6100 really that bad as people (Including my friend) trying to make it sound? ;( Me myself Love Amd due to limitations in budget. My last Cpu The Athlon Never disipointed me EVER and have done its job very well untill the die it died and i got my rig "updated".

Basic questions: what games at what resolution now and in the future?
A 23 inch 1080p monitor should be no problem.
Any GPU intensive game no problem.
CPU intensive an overclocked 965 might have an edge.
Anandtech Bench: FX-8150 vs Phenom II 965
The FX-8150 is the only one listed, for gaming the FX-series 4100-8150 perform about equally
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=102

You should be able to find benchmarks for the FX-6100 for genuine comparison
For the three games listed at 1680x1050 resolution high settings there is no bottleneck.

There has been a price performance heat penalty with the FX-series AMD chips. This does not make them bad or poor. It just means paying usual pricing you can buy more gaming performance per dollar with Intel. When the FX-series was new the Phenom II unlocked and overclocked chips definitely outperformed the FX.
Times change, the software/firmware for FX chips has improved, the tricks required to max out FX performance are known. In the benchmarks shown (admittedly at stock speeds), FX is 9 fps faster, 3 fps slower, 3 fps faster.
For the most part when both are overclocked the Phenom will perform a little better more often.

I do not see any great differences, and the FX is far better in some non gaming applications. Especially as an upgrade is planned, I can see no problem with keeping the FX-6100.

Last edited:
Phenom IIs might be a bit better than a FX-4xxx CPU, and Phenom II X6's might be a bit better than FX-6xxx CPUs. But it's not worth the time or money to switch from one to another. They're basically the same performance in games. The "failure" of Bulldozer was more because it was so overhyped than it actually being bad.

It should be fine. If you want to overclock anyway for more performance, you probably need a better cooler, FX CPUs run hot.

Basic questions: what games at what resolution now and in the future?
A 23 inch 1080p monitor should be no problem.
Any GPU intensive game no problem.
CPU intensive an overclocked 965 might have an edge.
Anandtech Bench: FX-8150 vs Phenom II 965
The FX-8150 is the only one listed, for gaming the FX-series 4100-8150 perform about equally
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/434?vs=102

You should be able to find benchmarks for the FX-6100 for genuine comparison
For the three games listed at 1680x1050 resolution high settings there is no bottleneck.

Thanks, this give me abit of joy bcuz all those reviews and comments i read about the fx-6100 made me so dissapointed. I had this feeling that i had just wasted my money on nothin usefull :/

The 212 EVO is a pretty solid heatsink. You dont really want to OC FX on the stock HS/F. Given the 6100 isnt as hot as the 8120 you probably wont find much thermal headroom.

As far as performance goes on BD its not bad its just not quite as fast clock for clock as the PH-II core was, however, they clock higher and provide more threads per dollar than the previous generation. Id call that as close to an even trade off as you can get without billions to throw into research like Intel can.

The 212 EVO is a pretty solid heatsink. You dont really want to OC FX on the stock HS/F. Given the 6100 isnt as hot as the 8120 you probably wont find much thermal headroom.

As far as performance goes on BD its not bad its just not quite as fast clock for clock as the PH-II core was, however, they clock higher and provide more threads per dollar than the previous generation. Id call that as close to an even trade off as you can get without billions to throw into research like Intel can.

Thanks for the Response!

I will try OC it since ive heard the BD is quite easy to OC. :)

Back