• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New keyboard options

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

i6pwr

My current keyboard came with my 866Mhz Dell from almost 20 years ago, so looking for an upgrade. :cool:

Been looking at the K95 Platinum but question the size of the board and do I really need the 6 extra keys.

Also read a lot about software issues so I would like to ask if the K70 is the better buy if I don't need the 6 extra keys.

Also with headsets, I read there's no audio pass through but is that with the 3.5mm port or USB?

Sorry if these questions are basic but again, it's been awhile since I looked at keyboards. The price of both these boards are steep, but I like the layout and the volume wheel.

Will be for both web and gaming but not hardcore gaming, hardcore as in max sensitivity, FPS, etc.

All advice amd criticism welcome.

I have the older version of the K70 keyboard and I LOVE IT. The default lighting setting on the keyboard was/is perfect for me and my style of use for it. I love that on my unit, there is a toggle to turn all of the LEDs from off/low/med/high..... At night, I can hit the button one or more times to turn off the back lighting when I leave my little office, low while typing/gaming in the dark and high when typing/gaming in the daylight. Great feature. My WASD and arrow keys are lit up white while the rest are red. Makes it easy to orient when in fast paced action.

I also like the roller bar (or whatever it's called) in the upper right. I can quickly adjust volume without having my hand leave the keyboard.

The K70 is mechanical so select the type of switch you want carefully. I did not want clicky sounds so I think I got the "browns". Each "color" is actually a name of a different type of switch and not the actual color of the LED or switch itself. Different colors will have click or no click and different force to depress. It also has a "N" rollover meaning that each and every key has it's own dedicated circut which you do not get with cheap keyboards. Meaning that if you are in fast paced action, every key stroke will register even if you fat-finger. This is a good thing.

finally, I think that you'll find that mechanical keyboards in general will last a very long time. I've had mine for maybe 5 years and none of the lettering is wearing off.

I may have butchered the terminology here but I know I got the concepts right.

Back