• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member Welcome Mat !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've been a lurker here for QUITE some time but never really felt the need to register since with a little searching all of my questions have been answered.

Then I had a question I couldn't find an answer to.

So yea, hi.

Hello folks, I have a desktop that I overclocked (for the first time, the noob help thread was great for learning a cause and effect relationship to the changes I was making). Unfortunately I now have a nagging error on boot up and was looking for some troubleshooting advice.

I didn't see a "tech support" type of forum, so I posted here (mods please direct me elsewhere if this isn't the right thread for this type of question). I didn't have this error before I started poking around.

My error is "SATA 3 drive - ATAPI incompatible". That drive is identified as my DVD burner (Optiarc DVD-RW AD72415S) on the boot up screen, and it functions just fine if I continue the boot up ignoring the error and let Windows 7 load up.

My trouble shooting:
- device functions ok, assume cable is fine and connection is secure, visual inspection confirms this
- check for firmware update, found new version - install and restart, error still occurs on boot up
- check boot sequence in bios: changed to raid drive first, cd drive second, error still occurs on boot up
- change boot sequence to raid drive first, disable secondary device, error still occurs on boot up

I'm not sure what to check next, or really even what to identify as the low hanging fruit here. At this point, any ideas would be appreciated!

I have an ASUS P6T, core i7 processor, and I'm running Win 7 Ultimate.

Long time lurker first time register-er or something. Can a mod please activate my signature capabilities so I can place my equipment info into it? Thanks!

Oh and Hi everyone!

Edit: Thanks mods you're fast =D

Last edited:
Hello folks, I have a desktop that I overclocked (for the first time, the noob help thread was great for learning a cause and effect relationship to the changes I was making). Unfortunately I now have a nagging error on boot up and was looking for some troubleshooting advice.

I didn't see a "tech support" type of forum, so I posted here (mods please direct me elsewhere if this isn't the right thread for this type of question). I didn't have this error before I started poking around.

My error is "SATA 3 drive - ATAPI incompatible". That drive is identified as my DVD burner (Optiarc DVD-RW AD72415S) on the boot up screen, and it functions just fine if I continue the boot up ignoring the error and let Windows 7 load up.

My trouble shooting:
- device functions ok, assume cable is fine and connection is secure, visual inspection confirms this
- check for firmware update, found new version - install and restart, error still occurs on boot up
- check boot sequence in bios: changed to raid drive first, cd drive second, error still occurs on boot up
- change boot sequence to raid drive first, disable secondary device, error still occurs on boot up

I'm not sure what to check next, or really even what to identify as the low hanging fruit here. At this point, any ideas would be appreciated!

for now, I'd repost this in the motherboard section... :)

Welcome!

My trouble shooting:

for now, I'd repost this in the motherboard section... :)

Welcome!

:welcome: to OCF Reggie i would look around the site and read some of the STICKIES in the sections you would be interested with at first. These will help you gain more knowledge and help you to have better understanding how things work, then try some OCF REVIEWS posted by the Members from this site. ;)

Its up to you overtime you will feel more confident, and ask questions and look for help, as the site was formed by Members to help each other when needed. :attn: :)

Regards,

Ajay.

P.S. Belive it i started like you, just a few years ago now. :thup:

Back