• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Member Welcome Mat !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
New member. Hi Everyone👋

Hi everyone.
Thought it would be good to join this awesome forum.
Been reading posts of here for a couple months learning alot and seeing the wealth of knowledge on here.

Thanks in advance for all help.

Hi Overclockers....

A very special greetings from Indonesia... to this great community...
1st of all... Stay Healthy and Stay Safe.

I was a silent reader and watchdog in this Community for quite few years and have never participated actively because never tried seriously any significant OClking :p.
But as I may want to share something which few others have tried, I decided to join, learn and share.... :clap:
Best wishes to all here....

--- Sub --- ;););)

Hi Everyone,

First off, wow hear I was thinking forums are dead, and we have to rely on sifting through reddit jokes for awards...

How exciting it is for me to discover such a busy forum, based around a new found hobby.

First up a bit about me, I'll be here for the long haul, I will ask questions, I will not pretend to know things I dont, I ask that who ever is on the reciving end, remember you were once me.

Im a 30's something Australian male, growing up was always using the Pentium (first PC our family had) for mischief, or "hacking" changing image textures in games to create mods, Pretend to be moderators on an interactive chat forum called Habbo Hotel. Man I felt untouchable with my Moderator badge I had somehow worked out how to edit onto my character using a program called "Art Money"

Im from the pre Youtube times, The times where if you wanted to learn about things in detail, you would find a forum. Still to this day I refer to forum posts or topics as above the words of Jesus Christ (pun). So You've figured im a bit of a smart arse also, dry humorous sarcasm I like to call it. I was a troll before a troll was a thing. Now I guess I send like a Boomer... Oh God, NO. Im sure theres a bunch of you, younger and older than me and thats a perfect forum.

I made a couple about mini bikes years ago, consider myself a respectful new member, but I will not tolerate bullying or speaking down to people. Reason being is forums are safe places. Well they used to be.

I hear by declare, I will UTFSE when I find fit, but sometimes I want a different voice, or a slightly different question. I am not hear to waste your or my time.

For those who aren't bored to death right now, are the Forum I intend to learn, grow, and maybe teach with. So please when you see my low post count asking a n00b question. Remember while I am a N00b at OC'ing, I am L337 in other fields. Like learning to play Counterstrike as a mod of Halflife with Bots because Dialup connections didnt allow multiplayer. Im hear to share experiences with others and to avoid those that think they are superior by clicking in some numbers and hitting a button to get a big boy score.

So without further yarns, Id like to present my first ever single handed PC Build (Just think back to that very first one and how satisfying it was)

I wont bore you with the specs here. But I will tell you this my new buddies. In my first day of OC'ing Ive managed to get a 3600 at 4.25GHZ all cores, Tightened the timings in my CL18 3600 ram, Install a 1080ti MSI Gaming X and get a 4043 on Heaven 4.0 within a few hours. All from learning from others and using some common sense. This may be laughable to the 1337 K I N G P ! N Wannabees (That guy is so bad ***, i donno why I think i have a man crush) but I also managed to get the top 3 highest scored 1080 TI on GPUBenchmark (I know this isnt the OC way of life, but as a New dude with a new build, to actually get even close to that is an achievement, as I built a "regular" setup I thought It was only fair I match against other "regular" setups.

View attachment 211390

2139mhz Max Core Clock
6276mhz Max Mem Clock
Stable in AIDA64
Max 58c

from what Ive researched, They are not bad numbers for a Fully cased, Cheap AIO Build.. Input please?

So I know its not much but they are my credentials, as to why Im going to be a good member, and maybe one day a Pro OverClocker. I feel the more I learn about the inner workings the more helpful/competitive ill become. So being my first build and not being a traditional PC Guy, I took to my case fans with Spraypaint, My case with an angle grinder, and will probably pull apart the Gaming X to change the red.

Before
View attachment 211391

After
View attachment 211392

These have replaced the white ID Cooling Fans, they are hand painted Noctua NF 12s :)

Im running a Thermaltake S500G Snow Edition. I wanted to run my AIO next to Mobo, but the case wasnt intended for that... So out came the Angle grinder. I willl install Airfilters inside of the case once the rubber seal is finished, it will look factory and Give me a kick *** Air System.
View attachment 211393

Oh and Im also working on gutting a Mac G3, installing a Qotom Mini PC and using it for a Retro style Smart Home Device/Firewall/CCTV System.

So thats about it from me, Please let me know if youd like to see or hear anymore about my project, Im also working with some carbon fibre to help with GPU sag that will act as a way to hide wiring also.

So I'm No expert, yet. But invite me into the family and youll have a guy who thinks outside of the box, and is willing to learn. also 4043 Heaven 4.0 first ever day on a 1080 ti... Not bad for the new kid.. on a 240 AIO.

Dont take me too serious, Sarcasm is my language. But watch out all those Keyboard warriors running off the shelf ****... Im going to introduce a couple of concepts, that will upset some diehards.

It might take a lil while before I pick up on the language and the comedy/lack there of. Just dont treat me like your better than me, or anyone for that matter, I will stand up for anyone being bullied. Im from a time forums were safe for anyone. Dont mess with my nostaligia.

SLAYso

Welcome to the forums SLAYso. Your background isn't much different than many of ours. This forum was destined to follow in the footsteps of so many other great ones. We are very lucky and thankful that 3 of our admins stepped up, ponied up, and purchased the forum back from the parent company before getting shutdown. Now, so long as there is still interest in computing and overclocking this site should be secured for the long haul.

As far your prior hacking/trolling, while I find it funny (I have a dark/sarcastic sense of humor too), it is obviously frowned on at this establishment. But the past is the past, but I would highly discourage doing that here. Our team is pretty on top of things and trolls, bots, and general low life's get quickly bounced. Lol

The best way to learn overclocking is to pick up some older gear and start hanging around the competitive benchmarking sub forums. Some of the most knowledgeable chaps hang out there.

Best of luck in your new studies.

Welcome to the forums SLAYso. Your background isn't much different than many of ours. This forum was destined to follow in the footsteps of so many other great ones. We are very lucky and thankful that 3 of our admins stepped up, ponied up, and purchased the forum back from the parent company before getting shutdown. Now, so long as there is still interest in computing and overclocking this site should be secured for the long haul.

As far your prior hacking/trolling, while I find it funny (I have a dark/sarcastic sense of humor too), it is obviously frowned on at this establishment. But the past is the past, but I would highly discourage doing that here. Our team is pretty on top of things and trolls, bots, and general low life's get quickly bounced. Lol

The best way to learn overclocking is to pick up some older gear and start hanging around the competitive benchmarking sub forums. Some of the most knowledgeable chaps hang out there.

Best of luck in your new studies.

I did not know the history of the forum, as the closest computer forum I came to were dedicated to Highly frowned upon cracked software. I must be at the right place then, for the members to become the custodians and carry on the legacy goes to show the level of human beings you have gracing the pages. I suppose many are like myself stuck between social norms, technologies and the memory of how informative the internet was before, dancing like a dodo became more popular than how to rebuild a computer.

I only mentioned the humour/sarcasm as I was yet to be greeted by anyone and have to be prepared to defend my honor (Seems thats the way reddit is now), It is really refreshing to hear most members arent into or up for any of that hoo haa. What I will try and do is provide some light hearted entertainment as I ask stupid questions and do stupid things. What I lack in knowledge, I make up for on MSPAINT...

Having just built the PC, as a half work/half play machine, I spent a tonne of research because for all I know, I might get bored of it. I ended up with a great mix of Budget, Performance and Upgradability.

While i wont be looking at competitive benchmarking straight up, I will use this forum as an encyclopedia of like minded people.

Funny thing is I work in the industry, direct with Manufacturers and have only just built the PC as a Workhorse/Test rig.

Im all about against the grain, Custom work, when it comes to anything. Ive already started contemplating a few ideas, not to be 1337 max score, but more to challenge myself.

Ok the big question:

Do I buy another 1080 TI Gaming X for roughly 500USD? brings my total GPU cost to $1000USD. Suits 1440p fine, but support seems to be flimsy? WHAT WILL I MISS OUT ON BY STICKING TO OLDER GEN SLI?

Im mainly interested in CyberPunk, Im praying like Witcher 3 it has support; I know the titles that support it and dont, and Im fine with tweaking before gaming. But for CyberPunk I need that SLI goodness to ensure decent FPS at 1440p

I dont have to have the latest and greatest, but if my heaven marks are anything to go by, The 1080TI has come along way! I was blown away at running over 6200mhz with temps below 63. One AIO 240mm. I haave a pretty unique fan setup that feeds the radiator with fresh air from larger fans, so the air that the Rad does not use, gets dispersed over my GPU and out the back exhaust.

Id rather push convential limits before introducing Liquid Nitrogen...

Im thinking along the lines of an enclosed GPU case that disperses a cold, electronically safe gas while utilising stock fans. I dont know to me overclocking Im still in the past...

Ive got some cool things in the works guys, probably complete garbage to the Pro's, but Unique is in fashion.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

From one of those three admins, welcome!

An Admin welcome... Awww now your bringing back memories. Good on you for keep the dream alive. a few communities I was in recently got rid of the forum and its just never been the same since. Check your PMs mate, I feel I could contribute in some way to the place that will be my second home for a while to come.

From one of those three admins, welcome!

Shoot me a PM please, cap.

Ok the big question:

Do I buy another 1080 TI Gaming X for roughly 500USD? brings my total GPU cost to $1000USD. Suits 1440p fine, but support seems to be flimsy? WHAT WILL I MISS OUT ON BY STICKING TO OLDER GEN SLI?

Im mainly interested in CyberPunk, Im praying like Witcher 3 it has support; I know the titles that support it and dont, and Im fine with tweaking before gaming. But for CyberPunk I need that SLI goodness to ensure decent FPS at 1440p

I dont have to have the latest and greatest, but if my heaven marks are anything to go by, The 1080TI has come along way! I was blown away at running over 6200mhz with temps below 63. One AIO 240mm. I haave a pretty unique fan setup that feeds the radiator with fresh air from larger fans, so the air that the Rad does not use, gets dispersed over my GPU and out the back exhaust.

Id rather push convential limits before introducing Liquid Nitrogen...

Im thinking along the lines of an enclosed GPU case that disperses a cold, electronically safe gas while utilising stock fans. I dont know to me overclocking Im still in the past...

Ive got some cool things in the works guys, probably complete garbage to the Pro's, but Unique is in fashion.

An Admin welcome... Awww now your bringing back memories. Good on you for keep the dream alive. a few communities I was in recently got rid of the forum and its just never been the same since. Check your PMs mate, I feel I could contribute in some way to the place that will be my second home for a while to come.

Shoot me a PM please, cap.

Your question up top of the quote is probably better suited to a new thread in the GPU section :thup:

PM sent

Hi from Colorado - I've used this forum on and off for years, but never posted. Grew up playing with computers (born in 85). Built my first PC around 2007 or 2008 (first time I had enough money to do so) with an Intel Core 2 Duo and a e-GeForce 8800 GTS. My professional background is in mechanical engineering and power plant operations and maintenance.

My most recent system (i7-5820K, GTX 980) I started tinkering with overclocking and cooling. My tinkering finally got me a fried motherboard a few weeks ago on that system. So after about five years since my last build, I am finally looking at a new build. Given that my kids are a bit older now and I have more time (and money) to play games and tinker, I'm wanting to delver into this hobby a bit deeper. So I may be asking for help as I spec out my new build (also been asking some questions on pcpartpicker) and then eventually browsing around and maybe posting for help on other topics as I mess around with the new build.

Hi,

I'm Alex from Holland and i am an iMac Pro technicus and want to take it further. Came here since the late 90's but never made an account. So after more then 20 years i needed to make on haha

Back