• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I know the feeling - one of my folders is an i7 940, but it's a bad revision, and won't go past 3.5GHz, stable. At 70-80°C it folds fine, 24/7, but the heatsink is big (and cheap).

I don't game much at all, but when I do, I shut down the folding. The v7 folding client makes that so much better than the older one! :thup:

I'mma guess you have a C Revision then. They weren't bad, they just had alot more limits. Personally I think the 940 was garbage compared to the 920.

Ah, you're using that intel heatsink...it works pretty good. I normally fold on cpus, tried gpu folding for a while and got awesome ppd but I ran the card underclocked and undervolted. Too much noise/heat in the room with it full tilt.
Nice rig ;)
I ordered a pwm splitter cable, let's hope it doesn't melt on me.

Yeah It's Nidecs DBX-B Heatsink for the 980X and 990X, the coolers trick is the fan behind it. if i shut those off, the thing goes up 4 to 5C instantly. GPU Folding is what i'm going to let my tower do. My GTX 570 Even oced is only hitting 67C with the fan at 60% speed. 100% fan speed got me 57C. The newer 570HD is horrible. They went back to the 550/560ti design cooler.

Anyways, I'm going to rerun dedicated circuits today, and hopefully Kobus is in with my 1,000FT of Cat5 :D

Before i forget, i'd personally just remove the Ground and 12v supply from your PWM fans and run them through a molex connector, just leave the tach and PWM, like i did with my denki's.

That's what the pwm splitter does, but I'm not sure the wire is thick enough for both fans feeding off it.
I could try your suggestion if things get hot ;)

I did that with any of my fans over 1.5 Amps. Gonna be putting the AFB1212SH's back into service hopefully before the end of the month. Also got to put my 140mm's in on Friday when I finish modding them.

Yes, my 940 is a C version - which isn't good for O/C'ing, but Newegg won't send you the specific version you want. :(

You got 140x38mm Denkis? (I'm falling for you already lol)

Yes i do, although the one pictured is my 120mm, I have 2 140's Labeled San Ace 140L's, 9LB1412S501. 286 CFM!!!(Note these are 140X51, not 140X38)

I'm assuming by that reaction that 140mm San Aces are rare? Got them off ebay for 50 each :p Was gonna get the 38mm version(109L1412H102) but I went "159 CFM VS 286 CFM..." you can guess the rest.

Yes, my 940 is a C version - which isn't good for O/C'ing, but Newegg won't send you the specific version you want. :(

Yep, that's Newegg alright. If i had another D0 to send you I would. Sadly alot of my I7's are rev C0 too. My good rigs is a D0.

Hmm, I think I might not be doing folding with you guys D:, I don't like having my machine under these kind of loads for extended periods of time. It can do it, but it's not what I built it for. I may let it run on the Alternate machines, and possibly my laptop, but my 2 Big rigs will not continue running this. I'll have my big rigs and laptop keep going until i set the servers up or decide to completely ditch the idea.

Last edited:
Folding HAS to be something that is comfortable for you. We're having a "sprint" race for 10 days in April, but the overall project is a VERY long term one. You can't just grit your teeth and say you'll be there until it's over. It's much too long for that.

Folding HAS to be something that is comfortable for you. We're having a "sprint" race for 10 days in April, but the overall project is a VERY long term one. You can't just grit your teeth and say you'll be there until it's over. It's much too long for that.

I'd guess you could say I'm not comfortable in a way. My biggest Issues with running it on the big rigs is they often aren't running, and often are moved around, even from country to country. So When they are running, It's because I'm using it :p My other issue again was that I am not comfortable having this thing always under 100% load. I'm just not. Even on light being at 50% load I just don't think it's for me. So sorry for not being able to help you guys out. Really am. I will for sure follow you guys on this. But I just don't think it's for me. I'm going to let my machine finish it's current jobs, then I'll be dropping it.

To all of you still folding Good Luck.

Sad to hear that Arkade...

And yeah, 51mm thick you said? Those are definitely rare, and you having those...lol
(L)

Sorry, I'd love it more if the client had a scheduler. And yeah, I have 2 from ebay. Right now I don't know what happened to them. They were misplaced somewhere in the Lab room. Everyone want to use my stuff D: My replacement 120mm SG is finally here(Kobus just brought it to me, so he got his hug for the day :p), and tomorrow, Andrew is returning my 3 120mm Nidec TA500's. Curious, you have pics of your rig, I love seeing true master pieces.

Sad to hear that Arkade...

And yeah, 51mm thick you said? Those are definitely rare, and you having those...lol
(L)

Sorry, I'd love it more if the client had a scheduler. And yeah, I have 2 from ebay. Right now I don't know what happened to them. They were misplaced somewhere in the Lab room. Everyone want to use my stuff D: My replacement 120mm SG is finally here(Kobus just brought it to me, so he got his hug for the day :p), and tomorrow, Andrew is returning my 3 120mm Nidec TA500's. Curious, you have pics of your rig, I love seeing true master pieces.

Well, exactly five weeks since I created my F@H account and three weeks of serious attention to the project... just finished my 105th WU and crossed the 200k point marker a few minutes ago. Definitely need to have more of the 20k+ days that I easily get when I don't have a rig down for a long period of tweaking or benching.

What is considered to be an "above average" PPD total for someone running ordinary desktop systems and not anything elaborate like server chips, multi-GPU or 4P dedicated machines? I know sort of where the theoretical PPD projections land, but know not many people truly fold their desktop 100% 24/7....

A warm welcome to you :welcome:

Take a seat, grab a beer :beer: and have fun :)

If you have any questions let us know.

Back