• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Members Post here,...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
haha :p

Your definition of junk is "ZOMG so fast!"...at home I got 3mb down and 0.4 up, and at work a measly 1.12m down and decent 3.19 up.

The single core client will be a pain to run, but the rest of the machines would do ok-ish.

Wow. Sorry if I Sound a little ungrateful, it's just here, most places have 50 down and 5 up 0_0. Lol, it will be easier just to only have the big rigs do folding. While I'm not here and asleep is when they will be folding, otherwise I'm either gaming, Video processing, Image processing, Audio Processing, or calculating(every now and then i bring one of my big rigs in with me and we use them for setting up other machines)

1st Machine is running. Whats a good CPU Utilization percentage, i'm hear a jet takeoff as it's running at full power right now :D I'm actually gaming with it running.

Wow. Sorry if I Sound a little ungrateful, it's just here, most places have 50 down and 5 up 0_0.
I'm guessing this is just mean, but:
2520892729.png
(500+ kilometers away, past a international border, and through a cable crossing what counts for "a ocean" here in Sweden...)

Lol, it will be easier just to only have the big rigs do folding. While I'm not here and asleep is when they will be folding, otherwise I'm either gaming, Video processing, Image processing, Audio Processing, or calculating
When i do run the F@H client, I simply don't notice it running in the background.I used to have it running 24/7, but i had to stop, the bill for the electricity started to grow out of control. So now i run it as a heater when it's cold outside...

Also, not to sure, when it comes to network load, WU's are in the range of 10's of megabytes. Most are 10-50MB. I think you can still request bigger units with the advanced switch and get units that are a 100MB, or even a few, but i'm not to sure about that.
B!

Last edited:
Okay, both machines have been hauling. My rigs show one with 45,000(GPU ENABLED) points per day, and the other is 12,000(GPU DISABLED). They sound like they are gonna take off. :/ I can't leave these running 100% otherwise I'm never gonna sleep.

Keep an eye on the one with GPU enabled. Might have to leave one CPU core off duty, it tends to need one to manage the GPU work.

And yeah, dependent on your cooling, it can get rather noisy. It's going to be at full load, so it's going to sound like when it's working, or gaming...
B!

Haha, My cooling on them is Air, and since they are stock at 2.6 ghz and they both are at 4.00ghz(one is temporarily at 3.6, the non GPU one) it's running hot. Cooling is 2 Delta EFB1212SHE's (has 3 AFB1212SH-PWM's on the front but they are currently off) on the GPU one and 2 Delta AFB1212SH's on the Non GPU one.

Been going for about an 2 hours now.

RIG1
GPU temp is only 67C
CPU 73C

RIG2
CPU 65C

As for power, I run alot of stuff here(Amplifiers, Heating and cooling, Plasma monitors) so my personal bills turn about what would be equivalent to 340USD a month :D

I should prolly get around to update my signature, it's sort of outdated.... Anyway. My I5 2500K is running at stock speed, has 2 92mm Vantec Tornado and a Delta TFB1212GHE feeding air in to the chassi. Idling to full load, they stay between 28 & 32% speed during this time of the year. It has a Noctua NH-U12P with a pair of their fans sandwiching it. For some odd reason it sticks at around 80-85% also idle to full load. But i have to admit, i'm cheating. I'm having a pair of screaming 40mm Deltas in the rear that kick in when the air from the CPU cooler heats up. I'm using a mCubed BigNG to control the fans, using target temp for intake and CPU fans, and a curve for the exhaust. The deltas are hitting some 6400rpm, it's been a while, but Google tells me it should be "AFB0512HHB". If the other fans are loud, these are screeeeeeeeeeeeeming. And they absolutely HATE PWM control. whistling and funky noises all through the rpm range, and it doesn't matter what PWM frequency you use. They are small screaming pigs, and squeal like it. Again, this time of year, they aren't really spinning, at all tho. Pulled a few days worth of WU's just a few days ago, just to make sure i didn't forget how it feels, and they didn't even start up.
(Thank God)

Prolly should mention this to. Don't get a Chieftech UNC-410S-B in the hopes of building a silent high work-load rack unit. There isn't exhaust-fans enough, for obvious reasons.
(Not enough real-estate)

B!

:welcome: Arkade!

FAH takes a very low idle priority, (even yields to screensavers), but it is VERY efficient, and will use 99 to 100% of the cpu cores (all of them), that you allow, if they're not being used.

For intense gaming you'll want to pause or quit it, because it gets into this kind of a cycle:

You are gaming - FAH steps aside -
you consider your next strategic move in the game -
FAH sees the lack of activity, and begins folding -
you want to make your next move, but now it has a little lag, because FAH has to step aside again.

And that goes on too much if it's an intense game, with a lot of time critical keystrokes.

Are you using the v7 folding client (control)? If so, it will lose very little when you press the quit or pause button, when needed for gaming.

Well my Second rig won't stay stable Folding at 100% for more than about 2 hours D: 0x124. My super rig is still going. I used to have Sayno Denki 9sg1212P1G01's in my big rig with 3 Nidec Servo G1238's(yes, the king of all 120x38mm fans, at 6300 RPM, a true screamer.) i'm going to have to go off 100% load on both machines. To noizy.

Hmm, I don't know about this, I set it to 15 %, and it still went to 100% CPU?

Last edited:
I think you like them japanese server fans :D
I have two Nidec Beta-v 5300rpm pwm beasts, I got a pwm splitter cable to control speed via the mobo header. I'm quite sure you don't need them at full blast. Can't you reduce the rpm somehow?
Whenever I turn on the beast fans my gf looks at me with a really scary face, a girl that likes turbine fans is an oddity :p
As for the cpu usage, it will probably be at 100% constantly, no need to worry if you're running a stable oc.

I think you like them japanese server fans :D
I have two Nidec Beta-v 5300rpm pwm beasts, I got a pwm splitter cable to control speed via the mobo header. I'm quite sure you don't need them at full blast. Can't you reduce the rpm somehow?
Whenever I turn on the beast fans my gf looks at me with a really scary face, a girl that likes turbine fans is an oddity :p
As for the cpu usage, it will probably be at 100% constantly, no need to worry if you're running a stable oc.

Again, I'm not worried about a stable OC, I'm worried for my CPU's Lifespan.

I don't need the fans maxed out, Again, my Delta's are currently in the cases. Removed the big fans after one of my Sanyo's went into a fireball(don't ask). It's not annoying and high pitched, but I sleep in the same room as all my machines. This kinda sucks.

My second rig is having issues all the sudden, and won't stay working so i'm not going to fold with it.

How do I fold with the PS3, I may set my PS3's up for Folding.(have 2 that just gather dust)

Also I'm an oddity. Thats why alot of the guys like me though :D

Currently the GPU enabled rig is at 77C on the CPU, and 68C on the GPU(is a GTX 570) Ambient temp is 22C

I've decided I'm going to have to move this onto the Smaller Machines, or I'm not going to be folding at all. It's way to much noise to keep running on my big machines.

Last edited:
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I messed up when i brought my big rig back. The one with the GPU folding, I attached my 18AWG power cable, not my 12AWG, the cord actually melted and shorted internally. Damn.

The key to a quiet PC on air is to maximize the thermal transfer unit (the tower of radiant metal), and use quiet fans.

I have 2 PC's and a 4cpu server within 5 feet of me, folding. And I can't hear a thing beyond a faint whisper.

I fold ONLY on the cpu's - GPU folding is good, but my two gpu's screamed also - then 1 of them died. I use the other one only for gaming.

For a radiant heat exchange tower, something like the Cooler Master 212 is good (there are several virtual copies of it), and a quiet fan sized to fit it. 14-16 decibels should be your goal. Be sure it is made with hardware for your socket size.

The two i7's PC's I have are overclocked, but they stay well under their thermal max by 20 degrees, and that's key - heat ages electronics, prematurely.

And let's watch those cord sizes -- Yikes! :shock:

Arkade, I think you should post a picture of your rigs innards...I suspect we could improve the airflow and noise levels at the same time. We still have little info of what you're running :p
I melted a molex to 4 pin adapter with my fans too, not funny, it even killed an old 775 board too.

The key to a quiet PC on air is to maximize the thermal transfer unit (the tower of radiant metal), and use quiet fans.

I have 2 PC's and a 4cpu server within 5 feet of me, folding. And I can't hear a thing beyond a faint whisper.

I fold ONLY on the cpu's - GPU folding is good, but my two gpu's screamed also - then 1 of them died. I use the other one only for gaming.

For a radiant heat exchange tower, something like the Cooler Master 212 is good (there are several virtual copies of it), and a quiet fan sized to fit it. 14-16 decibels should be your goal. Be sure it is made with hardware for your socket size.

The two i7's PC's I have are overclocked, but they stay well under their thermal max by 20 degrees, and that's key - heat ages electronics, prematurely.

And let's watch those cord sizes -- Yikes! :shock:

Well the thing is the 920 is 130 watt TDP stock at 2.6ghz, I'm probably almost over 200 Watt TDP with it at 4.0 Ghz. I'm not gonna bother with a new cooler, my rigs wasn't built to go Full power 24/7(It can though). My temps of 77C aren't bad for full load. Intel Thermal Throttling is engaged at 90C. So i'm not worried about heat. I'm not to worried about making a quieter machine.
Welcome on board Arkade :welcome:

Seems you'll pull some serious PPD :)

When i start folding with the Servers, yes i will be, will also let my i7 laptop do some.(with GTX 285M)

Arkade, I think you should post a picture of your rigs innards...I suspect we could improve the airflow and noise levels at the same time. We still have little info of what you're running :p
I melted a molex to 4 pin adapter with my fans too, not funny, it even killed an old 775 board too.

Air flow in the case is really good. ATM my front 3 AFB1212SH's aren't running Because I'm still tweaking my PWM Controller, my 2 Top 140MM's aren't in the case, just the back 2 EFB1212SHE's and the side PFC1212DE(running at lowest RPM). It's in a Darkfleet 85 case. If you want lots of specs and whatnot http://www.modsrigs.com/detail.aspx?BuildID=30600

Ah, you're using that intel heatsink...it works pretty good. I normally fold on cpus, tried gpu folding for a while and got awesome ppd but I ran the card underclocked and undervolted. Too much noise/heat in the room with it full tilt.
Nice rig ;)
I ordered a pwm splitter cable, let's hope it doesn't melt on me.

I know the feeling - one of my folders is an i7 940, but it's a bad revision, and won't go past 3.5GHz, stable. At 70-80°C it folds fine, 24/7, but the heatsink is big (and cheap).

I don't game much at all, but when I do, I shut down the folding. The v7 folding client makes that so much better than the older one! :thup:

Back