• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mobo for my ageing computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Turks

Registered
(SEE SIG) I have a P4 1.6A GHz cpu in a Tyan Trinity 510 mobo that uses the VIA P4X266A chipset. I wanted to get a new mobo for my P4 so I can overclock it, cause I read that you can overclock the 1.6A's really well.

Also this is the P4 1.6 "A" GHz that has the Northwood core and 512kb L2 cache. (Just so no one thinks that I have a Williamette core.)

First I should ask, can you run a the 400MHz FSB P4's with a dual channel memory setup? Would it give a decent performance boost?

I am looking at the ASUS P4P800 SE or the ABIT IS7. (Suggestions anyone?)

I was also going to upgrade my psu to a 400watt one and also get a new cpu cooler for when I overclock my cpu.

I just got my Radeon 9800se so I don't know what else to upgrade that would be useful. My next system I am starting from scratch(except for videocard if AGP is still on the new mobo's next year).

I just want a performance boost for little cost. I am just trying to hold out for next summer, cause I really want an Athlon 64 and I'm waiting for the nForce 4 chipset. Also I am waiting for the 90nm socket 939 's and also want to see if they release that socket 900 that I read about.

Thanks

Ok, the 1.6A was a classic overclocker a couple of years ago. Running at 133 FSB is a no brainer. Some will do 2.4 to 2.5 gig (+/-) with good cooling (your mileage may vary).

Yes, the 1.6A will run in a dual channel mobo. If you have two matched sticks of RAM, then dual channel will work and you'll nearly double memory bandwidth. If I read your signature right, you have 2X256 of PC2100? If so, then you are good to go.

The mobos you listed are both good, but I would personally recommend the Abit AI7. I know it's a little more than the IS7, but it's well worth it. With a good cooler and PS, you should be all set.

I don't know how well your RAM will overclock, but once you get at some point beyond 133 FSB, you might need to use the 5:4 memory ratio. But, you can cross that bridge when you come to it. Good luck.

This guy has a 1.8A and got the Abit AI7 (I got one too). Sounds like he's happy.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=315580

Thanks for the info! That other thread helped a lot. Does the AI7 differ form the IS7 in that it has the uGuru while the IS7 doesn't. What exactly is the uGuru thing?

I bought my ram sticks a year apart, but they were the same manufaturer and model number so they may work. Do they have to be Matched pairs? If they don't work I guess I can buy new ram. But you do bring up a good point about them overclocking passed 133FSB.

The uGuru is a marketing gimmick, I never use it. It allows no-brainer overclocking in pre-set amounts like 10% and stuff like that. The AI7 has vdimm settings up to 3.2v compared to only 2.8v of the IS7. The AI7 is a feature rich mobo with a better layout than the IS7. The AI7 is a great overclocker (see my signature).

Your RAM should work ok in dual channel.

I may still buy new ram anyway so I can at least know that my ram isn't holding back overclocking the cpu.

I was also thinking of getting a new psu. Will a psu like the Antec True 380w have enough power to run my system after a new mobo and after overclocking my cpu? My psu now is an el cheapo Codegen 300w psu, and it still is working fine after I installed my radeon 9800se a week ago.

As for the cpu cooler I saw the CoolerMaster Aero 4 Lite. It seemed to do weel in the reviews I read, and my cpu should run cooler than those, since mines older, probably even when it's overclocked?

The Antec True Power series is good. If you can swing a few bucks more, the Antec True 480w is excellent.

If you get good RAM, you can always use it if you upgrade processors later too. I'd get at least PC3200 if you do decide on more RAM. Might as well get 2X512 to future proof it too.

I don't know anything about that CoolerMaster heatsink.

In another thread I asked a question similar to this, and batboy also suggested the AI7 there.

I ended up buying one, and I'm VERY. HAPPY. I DID. This board is awesome, and not just because of the overclocking features. It's feature rich and well made, too boot. I currently have a 1.8 Northwood (18x100) running at 18x170 @ 3.06 ghz, completely and utterly stable. The processor gets just barely unstable at 18x180, sometimes crashing a game after a few hours of play. 170 is stable in prime95, while 180 is not.

I migrated to this system from an AMD AthlonXP 2000+, and I ran that processor at 10x180 - at 18x170, I have nearly twice the memory bandwidth with the P4. I seriously love this board. I plan on getting a 2.4c sometime in the near future, as I have 2 sticks of ddr466 that are seriously under-stressed right now, and from what I've seen (looking at batboy's sig) my motherboard is WAAY under stressed, an FSB of 170 is like kindergarten for it. ;P )

InThrees said:
...and from what I've seen (looking at batboy's sig) my motherboard is WAAY under stressed, an FSB of 170 is like kindergarten for it. ;P )

LMAO... cute

I've had my AI7 mobo up to 292 FSB with my 2.4C.

Back