• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New motherboard sporadically stops recognizing GPU upon booting.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

krudus

Registered
So i just upgraded my pc with a new motherboard (Asus Strix z270h gaming) and a new cpu (i7 7700k).

The first few boots everything was fine, but suddenly my year old GTX 1080, which has been working flawlessly until now, is no longer recognized by the pc. After reseating the gpu, it starts working for maybe 1-2 boots, but then its the same tale all over again. It is getting power even when not recognized, the LED lights on the card are active. I have tried different pci-e slots, the problem persists.

The PSU is a 6 year old Corsair tx550m, and before i changed mobo and cpu i had a asrock 770 extreme-m and a core i5 3570k at 4.3 ghz without any problems. Ive updated the bios now twice, reinstalled the gpu drivers, and I have looked into the bios and made sure it doesnt prioritize the iGPU upon boot. What can be the problem here? Advice would be greatly appreciated.

So i just upgraded my pc with a new motherboard (Asus Strix z270h gaming) and a new cpu (i7 7700k).

The first few boots everything was fine, but suddenly my year old GTX 1080, which has been working flawlessly until now, is no longer recognized by the pc. After reseating the gpu, it starts working for maybe 1-2 boots, but then its the same tale all over again. It is getting power even when not recognized, the LED lights on the card are active. I have tried different pci-e slots, the problem persists.

The PSU is a 6 year old Corsair tx550m, and before i changed mobo and cpu i had a asrock 770 extreme-m and a core i5 3570k at 4.3 ghz without any problems. Ive updated the bios now twice, reinstalled the gpu drivers, and I have looked into the bios and made sure it doesnt prioritize the iGPU upon boot. What can be the problem here? Advice would be greatly appreciated.
:welcome:

I'm going to guess that your PSU is failing. I think that 550w is minimum and with 6 years of age, it's probably struggling to do that. If you overclock anything or if your GPU is factory OC'd, it would want even more power. I would buy a good 750w power supply from a trusted manufacture like the Corsair you have now. Don't cheap out.

I'm going to guess that your PSU is failing. I think that 550w is minimum and with 6 years of age, it's probably struggling to do that. If you overclock anything or if your GPU is factory OC'd, it would want even more power. I would buy a good 750w power supply from a trusted manufacture like the Corsair you have now. Don't cheap out.

And Don strikes again! :thup:

550w seems like it would be enough for one graphics card, post back what was the problem.

Thanks for the response. Turns out it wasnt the PSU at all however, the problems disappeared when i turned off fast boot in the mobo bios. I made my ssd my primary drive with the hardware change and i suppose that everything moved too fast for the motherboard to recognize the gpu upon boot, and by the time it could it had already dismissed that slot and moved on to the integrated graphics. This is all speculation though, since im far from an expert on this. The first few times when it successfully recognized the gpu maybe was down to the update process; windows updates and other things that slow things down upon boot gave the motherboard the time to recognize the gpu. Anyway, what i can say with certainty is that everything started working as soon as fast boot was disabled.

For sure it is enough, but the PSU might be starting showing its age (or just be faulty...).

Edit: didn't read your post, lol!

Thanks for the response. Turns out it wasnt the PSU at all however, the problems disappeared when i turned off fast boot in the mobo bios. I made my ssd my primary drive with the hardware change and i suppose that everything moved too fast for the motherboard to recognize the gpu upon boot, and by the time it could it had already dismissed that slot and moved on to the integrated graphics. This is all speculation though, since im far from an expert on this. The first few times when it successfully recognized the gpu maybe was down to the update process; windows updates and other things that slow things down upon boot gave the motherboard the time to recognize the gpu. Anyway, what i can say with certainty is that everything started working as soon as fast boot was disabled.

I'm glad you figured out the problem I did not think it was the PSU.:)

I have something of a similar problem with my system (granted, it is in its 6th year now) where drivers sometimes will not load up when the machine boots up cold. Things like audio and sometimes the keyboard. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the boot SSD and how it responds when cold though, not the PS.

Back