• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New mouse time, recomendations requested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David_N

It's time for a new mouse, as my last mouse finally kicked the can.

Here are my options (all prices in CAD):

Creative HD7600L - $47
Logitech MX518 - $47
Logitech G5 - $50
Razer Copperhead - $60
Razer Diamondback - $40
Razer Deathadder - $51

I do a lot of photoshop work, a fair bit of gaming, and other than that just general tasks. I'm looking for something comfortable yet precise because I spend a minimum of two hours a day on the PC and up to 8 hours (4-6 isn't unusual on the average day).

On a side note, which mouse pad is better in your opinion?
Icemat 2nd Edition $41
Razer eXactMat - $35
Stelpad Qck - $11

If anyone has any personal opinions on the above mice I would absolutely love to hear them. Thanks! :beer:

Last edited:
I've owned the MX518 and Deathadder and do similar tasks on my rig (photoshop/illustrator etc... & gaming mostly).

If you want easy quick dpi switching so you can go from a round of (insert FPS here) to PS and back again without a hitch... I like the MX518. Having the switch on top is nice. That mouse is nice for gaming too.

But I actually like the Deathadder better for gaming. I have it set to pole at 1000Hz @ 1800dpi. Runs smooth as butter! But switching profiles is a bit clunkier on the DA. You either use a button on the bottom which is hard to press IMO or open the Driver panel and do it there.

For a mousepad I do not recommend the QcK for the Deathadder. Simply because of increased lift-off height. Although I am pretty used to it now. fUNC or maybe that IceMat would be better.

Alright, MX518 ordered! I'm still undecided about the mouse pad, I'm kind of leaning towards the eXactmat because it has a wrist comforter thing on it, plus it has double sides which would be great for switching between gaming and photoshopping... I suppose I just made up my own mind : )

Thanks for the help fellows!

Thanks Thund3rball, that helps a lot! Which mouse did you find had the lightest software? I hate clunky and annoying drivers bloating my system up...

You won't be dissapointed. I bought that mouse because the DA was not available yet at the time and it was rated #2 overall against the DA for performance & value.

I can't remember the mx518 resource usuage. I sold it to my friend when I got the DA but I can check it out tonight at his place. My DA (if I have the driver panel open) is using 9,764 K. I don't really leave it open all the time though I usually have it off and just open it if I need to change profiles. Once the profile is set you don't need the driver panel anymore unless you want to change again. It keeps the profile through a system restart too which is nice.

I went with a g5, but the mx518 is a great mouse also. I'd have ended up getting one if I didn't end up finding a g5 for cheaper. :santa:

Back