• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

imposter

Hi everyone, Long time no see! How's everyone. !

It's been a while since I posted last here, now that I'm done with college, hopefully you guys will be seeing more of me :)

I've been using my Core 2 Quad for quiet some time now, But i think its time for an upgrade.

I don't plan on doing any overclocking (sorry guys =[) or gaming on this rig, but rather a lot of intense simulations that require a lot of cpu. Since I live near a microcenter I thought this was perfect for taking advantage of Core i7 4770K processor deal they have + 40 dollars off a motherboard.

At first galance, the best motherboard I could see was the GA-Z97X-SLI for 105. Because I've been out of the loop for so long, because of college, I just wanted to get your opinion of what good choice of motherboard would be. I've been a die heart Asus fan for the most part, but it seems these days Gigabyte has some quality comparable parts.
I don't mind putting more into the motherboard if the features it supports are worth it, ie those that take advantage of unlocked processor. It seems there are two markets for motherboards. High end gaming, with fancy gaming features, or simpler ones like the gigabyte board I linked too.

My question to you guys is which motherboard would you pick?

Thank you in advance !

-Imposter :bday:

I like the ASUS Z97-A. It has everything you need for $150. The board you've linked to will be fine as well, though I wouldn't attempt to overclock on it, but it'll be fine for stock operation.

If you will not be overclocking or overclocking heavily, that board is fine. If you are not overclocking at all, get a non "K" based CPU.

"I don't mind putting more into the motherboard if the features it supports are worth it"

That hits the nail on the head, grab a board with the features you will actually use, if not overclocking I agree with EarthDog, I would grab this,

http://www.microcenter.com/product/432163/Core_i7-4790_36_GHz_1150_Boxed_Processor

Gives you 100 Mhz more is 10 bucks cheaper and has better TIM :)

Good call I missed that. Agreed. That is the new CPU. If you want to wait for the unlocked version, the 4790K, it will be out in about a month.

Again, your motherboard and CPU choice will determine whether overclocking will be possible. The quality of the cooling solution you use will determine how high of an overclock you can achieve.

yea since he isnt ocing, that board is perfect. i would put any extra money you can into a faster stock clocked cpu.

Hi guys,

thank you for the discussion and your input.

Ended up going with the Asus board that was mentioned, since microcenter gives you 40$ off a motherboard as well, figured why not =]. In case I decide to overclock in the future.

If you will not be overclocking or overclocking heavily, that board is fine. If you are not overclocking at all, get a non "K" based CPU.

I had not considered getting the i7-4790 that is definitely a good point. I already got the cpu, and looks like benchmarks are around the same, but definitely a good point to remember for the future. I say that I won't overclock, but chances are I still may tinker around in the bios :bday::p

In any case I'll certainly post back when the rest of the newegg parts come in :) Thank's everyone for your help.
Imposter :bday:

Hey imp, long time no see! Whats up man? How've you been? :)

SN! You are still here =]. Glad to see that.

Finished with college, now I have a full time job, I can afford new toys and have time to look at forums, so thus I am back! How about you?

SN! You are still here =]. Glad to see that.

Finished with college, now I have a full time job, I can afford new toys and have time to look at forums, so thus I am back! How about you?

Life is grand! Graduated last year and moved to sunny CA to start my new faculty appointment. Been doing tons of outdoors stuff and in general my life is about maintaining a heart rate of 60bpm. :D

Back