• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New plans for a rig. Check it out!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

millhouse

Hey all, Heres what i have come up with as a rig to build this summer. What do you think?

RED = Not Changing
WHITE = Flexible

Case: LIAN LI PC-V1000BPlus II Black Aluminum ATX Mid Tower

Motherboard: EVGA 122-M2-NF59-TR Socket AM2 NVIDIA nForce 590 SLI MCP ATX AMD Motherboard

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Windsor 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket AM2 Processor (Motherboard and CPU combo on newegg)

Video Card: XFX PVT73GUGF3 GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 (maybe future sli)

Sound Card: Onboard

CPU Cooler: ZALMAN CNPS 9500 (Already Own)

Memory: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM

DVD: LITE-ON Black IDE Burner

Power Supply: FSP Group AX500-A

Fan controlling: Will come later when fans are upgraded, maybe a rheostat for the Delta GFB fan... lol

Monitor: Dell E228WFP 22" Widescreen

Keyboard: Black Saitek Eclipse Blue Backlight

Mouse: Microsoft BX3-00008

Operating System: Unsure between XP or Vista with the problems i hear with Vista.

Extras: AS Ceramique, Any needed cables, zip ties, Delta 120x76mm GFB1212VHW :drool: (Already Own)

Help if im missing anything. Id prefer to be able to get everything from newegg, but that wont happen so if you guys know where to get stuff the cheapest then post up!

Edit: Sorry I didnt have time to finish the thread... Anyways i really need to get my bearings back and help would be greatly appreciated. I try and read up on things in my spare time but i have little to no spare time most days. Suggestions on other parts that are maybe cheaper and as good would be nice. I would like to keep the cost down. I wont be doing very much gaiming on here, but would like a mid-end video card. Thanks for your input!

- millhouse

Last edited:
Bump. I really needs some advice here.

Edit: also changed some stuff around in first post

Not sure if you've seen the Intel C2D chips but they are doing significantly better than AMD right now. Price drops coming up at the end of April to look forward to. :)

inkfx said:
Not sure if you've seen the Intel C2D chips but they are doing significantly better than AMD right now. Price drops coming up at the end of April to look forward to. :)

Ive been out of it too long ive never even heard of it.

What aspects does it outperform AMD's?

Everything!

Dude 8800GTS and C2D are pure rape right now. The only thing is you cant get a good E6600 C2D any more. Look at my sig, I can easily run 3.8 with slightly above stock voltages. They outpi and out perform amds chips easily. Right now amd is offering a Dual Dual-Core FX series of processing thats competing with intels qx6700, which is essentially 2 e6700 in 1 die.
Basically we now have 2 chipsets that are really the overclockers. Intel 965 and 975X. 965 is able to achieve speeds around 600mhz fsb where 975x is only able to hit 445 when pushing hard. The 975x chipset is PERFECT with the E6600 because of its 9x multi ect, E6700 work well also, The thing is all the good E6600 6700 cores are going into intels quad setup. So its extremely rare to get a good clocking chip now.

So, if your going to go with a e6400/e6300 I recommend gigabytes 965 board or biostars tforce 965pt board, the p5b is extremly finicky and has alot of bugs in it, the audio it comes with is horrendous! Its also expensive.

Ok thanks for reading my fragmented thoughts I hope i made since.

Lets see amd do this!

4ghz%20+%20super%20pi.jpg

Last edited:
I'd get a seagate 320gb hd
Get a lian li V600b, if you'd prefer a smaller case, without the wheels.
for a bit more you can get a 8800GTS with 648MB.
Buy this psu (Corsair 620w)- 130$: http://www.buy.com/prod/corsair-hx6...lar-atx-power-supply/q/loc/101/203270718.html
I'd also go with this monitor(Just because I find it looks cooler): http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-5205

And the Amd prices just went down quite a bit. I'd go for an AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103773

If your going to be overclocking and stuff I highly recommend the pc Power and cooling 750 silencer. The corsair is good but nice overclocks + a high end GTS will bring even the strongest psus to its knees. Not saying the corsair isnt a good psu, Just saying u can get better with a little bit more money.

Yes kutos on the seagate 320, there god like!

tyler_bishop said:
If your going to be overclocking and stuff I highly recommend the pc Power and cooling 750 silencer. The corsair is good but nice overclocks + a high end GTS will bring even the strongest psus to its knees. Not saying the corsair isnt a good psu, Just saying u can get better with a little bit more money.

Yes kutos on the seagate 320, there god like!

The power on the corsair is conservatively rated. 620 watts at 50 degree C. other manufacturers rate their power supplies at a lower temperature, like 40 degrees. At 40 degrees, the corsair would be about 750 watts. the cables are also modular, so rather easy to install. It also runs quiet and cool.
I couldn't more highly recommend it. It will also save you a couple bucks for the quality you'll be getting.
You won't need more power... so why not save some $.

Whew... lets see here.

After looking into the Dell 22" Monitor, i agree with you on the looks but it is also cheaper than the one i want. I will change that.

Seagate 320gb: After looking into it I like it and then the "get perpendicular" song popped back into my head. I was trying so hard to forget that song... lol. Dont know if i need 320 gigs but hey what the heck!

Corsair 620w is nice, but its on the high side for price and i dont have very much to throw around as i would like, even by summer. I have a budget of no more than $1200 since i dont have a super high paying job plus i have other expenses. I like the modular design, but it comes with a cost. As for the PC P&C... well just the name spells expensive, and i wont need that much power as I will do very moderate overclocking on it.

The Lian Li V600b is nice, but im not sure as to how big i want my case to be. I dont want a full tower as they are just immense. I believe i have picked out a midtower but i know i want an aluminum case for sure. Doesnt have to be a lian li, but i do like them.

... the AMD X2 6000+ Windsor i do like. Not much of an intel fan myself, but im not against them. Depending on what funds i have will tell which Windsor i get. They are unbelievably cheap to me since last year when i was looking into building a rig with the X2s that had just come out. So well see on that!

What i really need help on is a good AMD mobo and mid end video card and RAM. I rarely game on PC since i have a 360, but i would like to be able to run higher settings when i do game on the PC. Plus anything you guys recommend i am game for.

EDIT: 8800GTS is way out of my price range... lol it is nice though! I need a Video card that is DirectX 10 and is mid end AKA cheap (is DirectX 10 out yet?), but works very nicely. I was looking at 7600GS and 7600GT. Are they any good? They are directX 9 but read on one that it could be converted to DirectX 10.

Keep posting up! BTW those results are very impressive with that C2D!

Last edited:
For 1200$

The only way you can get directx10 is with an 8800. You can get the 8800gts for as little as 280$
Try balancing the price of the cpu with that of the gfx card.
I recommend this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16814127280

The lian li v600b is smaller than the v1000.
The Lian Li PC-7B+II may be less attractive but its just as good: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112099

-To save $, make sure your motherboard has an intergraded sound card. Also make sure its a decent one(read reviews).
-make sure its socket type is AM2.
If you want SLI I recommend these mobos:
590:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128011
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813188016
Cheaper, but great specs:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813128321

Get a retail Hard drive they cost a bit more but you need the kit that comes with it.

I wouldn't cut back on the memory:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820231087

You can probably get everything for around 1300$-1350$. I know its a stretch but, you might regret it. Two months ago all this would near 2000$

Last edited:
golfking222 said:
If you want DX10 why not go for the 8800GTS w/ 320mb of memory. That should save you some money.

I think what im going to do is get a cheaper video card and then by the time more directX 10 cards are out and are cheaper then i will have the funds for it. I just dont need a 280 vid card. DirectX 10 can wait if thats my only choice. As for onboard sound, thats what i was going for, but didnt look to see if the mobo has it or not.

That gigabyte board fits my needs perfectly. I wanted the option of sli just in case in the future i needed it. Plus it doesnt cost any more than the BIOSTAR board.

Im still in need of recommendations for everything. Mostly a videocard! :)

Last edited:
What do you guys think about Vista? I hear of problems with games running on them or something of that sort. Should I wait a while and just go with XP? I could probably get Vista free through my brother at Mount Union College since he works for the help desk. What should i do?

Hardin said:
Why not get a Nforce 5 series motherboard?

Wow... didnt even know there was an nForce5. I feel like a noob all over again! I changed it. You see this is why i started the thread... lol. Thanks for pointing that out to me!

millhouse said:
I think what im going to do is get a cheaper video card and then by the time more directX 10 cards are out and are cheaper then i will have the funds for it. I just dont need a 280 vid card. DirectX 10 can wait if thats my only choice. As for onboard sound, thats what i was going for, but didnt look to see if the mobo has it or not.

That gigabyte board fits my needs perfectly. I wanted the option of sli just in case in the future i needed it. Plus it doesnt cost any more than the BIOSTAR board.

Im still in need of recommendations for everything. Mostly a videocard! :)

If you want a less expensive video card to hold you over until DX10 gets a little cheaper, get a 7900 GS. They can be had for around $139.99 and are fantastic cards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130056

There is nothing to consider on the AMD side right now. Intel Core 2 Duo owns everything. If you are thinking SLI at some point, get a mobo with the Nvidia 680i chipset and the E4300 CPU or better yet the E6420 CPU. Nothing can touch these new Intel dual cores.

tyler_bishop said:
Everything!

Dude 8800GTS and C2D are pure rape right now. The only thing is you cant get a good E6600 C2D any more

Not to hijack your thread or anything, but why can't you get a good e6600 now? What has intel done different?

Back