• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New plans for a rig. Check it out!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i would change the mouse to a logitech g5

you can change the speed with the push of a button and you can add\remove weight with the included weight tray

and for the o/s i would go with vista...

the vid drivers for sli right now are a little flakey but looking like big improvements on the way

and just make sure all of your drivers are available for vista x86 or vistax64 depending on what you decide to run

I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH VISTA :)

EmAn said:
i would change the mouse to a logitech g5

you can change the speed with the push of a button and you can add\remove weight with the included weight tray

and for the o/s i would go with vista...

the vid drivers for sli right now are a little flakey but looking like big improvements on the way

and just make sure all of your drivers are available for vista x86 or vistax64 depending on what you decide to run

I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS WITH VISTA :)

Im just gonna stick with a cheap mouse for now. I plan on upgrading in the future, so its not a big deal as i wont hardly game right now. Mostly just browsing and typing.

As for Vista im going to see if my brother can get it for me.

After doing the math, you'll save less than $100 by going AMD. The prices are still dropping on Intel right now, so if you wait a couple more weeks and maybe cheap out and get the Gigabyte S3 mobo, you can probably get down to only about $50-$60 difference. I've seen Fry sales for combo deals that are cheaper than AMD, although the mobos tend to be crappy. Personally, I'd spend that little extra more to have a bunch more performance and stability. The Core 2 Duo destroys anything AMD currently has to offer.

Last edited:
Isn't directx10 only supported on vista? That alone should be reason enough (or for many the only reason) to upgrade to vista. Especially if you're going to buy an 8800 now or any other directx10 card down the line.

batboy said:
After doing the math, you'll save less than $100 by going AMD. The prices are still dropping on Intel right now, so if you wait a couple more weeks and maybe cheap out and get the Gigabyte S3 mobo, you can probably get down to only about $50-$60 difference. I've seen Fry sales for combo deals that are cheaper than AMD, although the mobos tend to be crappy. Personally, I'd spend that little extra more to have a bunch more performance and stability. The Core 2 Duo destroys anything AMD currently has to offer.

I really can only wait and see what happens between AMD and Intel. By the time I purchase everything, everything could be completely different for all i know. So, im not set on either of them yet as I will wait to see what price changes there are and so on. But 100 bucks is hard work for the job that i have. Im only working part time on the weekends making 5.15 i think. Roughly 20 hours of work there and its hard work too. Not just flipping burgers at the local McDonalds... lol. :)

Edit: Yeah, I have also decided with Vista. I does make sense, plus ive never used it so itll be interesting for me.

Back