• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New PSU recommendation please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PicodeGallo

I currently use 2 PC's all of the time. One is my gaming PC, the other is my internet PC (no gaming). The latter is on 24/7/365 and is very similar to what you see in my sig, but without the 980ti and PSU. I came home today and noticed it was off. I hit the power button and nothing happened but a constant buzzing sound coming from the PSU area (no beeps, lights, nothing but buzzing). I figured it's dead as the PSU is really old (OCZ I think?). I figure I have a couple of options:

1. Replace it with a power saving PSU. The video card is a Sapphire 7950HD, but will eventually get the 980ti.

2. Replace my gaming rig's PSU and get a new PSU for it, while internet computer gets the Corsair in my sig.

Either way, I would like a quality PSU, but don't want to spend $200 for one. Around a $100 or so for option two would be about right (I don't mind paying more if it's worth it). Sometime this year, I will likely upgrade the GPU in my gaming rig, maybe a 2080 unless new cards are around the corner. I do not OC to any extreme level, but I do OC some.

What would be your recommendation? I'm very much open to options...I don't have a lot of time to research this stuff like I used too.

Mkre the TX v2 to the web machine and get another. Evga supernova G2,3/P2,3 sounds about right.:)

Could easily choose a Seasonic Focus + gold instead, or a prime even. Although I will be honest my Seasonic has coil wine in eco mode while folding, which goes away when I turn eco mode off. So I never use the eco mode, but the fan is silent otherwise.

While 750W is adequate for the 2080, the TX series are not as well built as some PSUs. They are serviceable, however substantially increasing the load on one after several years sounds less appealing than placing a new PSU in the rig that will get the 2080.

Since you have two rigs, did you attempt to boot the non-functioning rig on the functioning PSU? Always a small chance other hardware was damaged.

I think I haven't noticed it happening on my G3... but I doubt it is being tickled half the time anyway. If it happens, I couldn't hear it over the EVGA CLC 240 on auto and one other 120mm fan (test bench).

That said, a quick google brought me this from EVGA forums (and EVGA rep said the following):
The fan behavior that has been described in this thread is normal for that unit. It is a byproduct of producing a high watt PSU in a smaller chassis. The fan noise is necessary for keeping the internals as cool as possible, failure rates of G3 units are very low as a result. If the aggressive curve when using ECO is too loud, I would recommend running the unit with ECO mode OFF as that tends to have a gentler curve that will ramp up much less under gaming or heavy loads.

Could easily choose a Seasonic Focus + gold instead, or a prime even. Although I will be honest my Seasonic has coil wine in eco mode while folding, which goes away when I turn eco mode off. So I never use the eco mode, but the fan is silent otherwise.

While 750W is adequate for the 2080, the TX series are not as well built as some PSUs. They are serviceable, however substantially increasing the load on one after several years sounds less appealing than placing a new PSU in the rig that will get the 2080.

Since you have two rigs, did you attempt to boot the non-functioning rig on the functioning PSU? Always a small chance other hardware was damaged.

Have you contacted Seasonic about the coil wine in eco mode and do they all have coil wine in eco mode?

I never thought it was a big deal. My understanding is that coil wine is benign. My card wines too, I think it is just variance in the particular unit and the amount of load. I suppose I could see if they agree.

If you contact Seasonic post back what they say. I have a very quiet PC and would not tolerate any coil wine.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have not tested the problem computer. I most certainly will, but I like the idea of a better PSU for my gaming rig. If it turns out to not be the PSU, it never hurts to have a spare.

So, Seasonic Prime Gold, Platinum, Titanium, 12 year warranty

vs.

EVGA G's and P's, 10 year warranty

Any thoughts? Do the efficiency ratings really make much difference?

Platinum isnt worth it, really. Go gold. If you are willing to pay the potential premium for an extra 2 year warranty, go for it. Seasonic prime are awesome psus too!

I would just save some money and purchase the FOCUS PLUS.

Does the Focus Plus have GPU compatibility issues?

From Seasonic

We have discovered few issues with some high end GPU cards on market due to their huge spike under load that could trigger safeties on PSU. We have since then took action to handle this

The new version on market have been modified accordingly to handle such behavior. No issue to expect. May you have any issue, contact us any time.

Thank you.

I went with the Seasonic Prime Gold (750w). It was $10 more than the equivalent EVGA. Also forgot I had a bunch of Amazon points saved up, so it ended up being well under $100.

Thank you guys!

Back