• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new Q9550, old mobo/ram

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

madvad

This is my first post here, my third OC, so I’m familiar enough with the terms, but by no means an expert.

I recently upgraded my processor from an E4500 to a Q9550 E0, keeping my mobo and RAM, which are listed below:

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L v 2.0
http://www.gigabyte.us/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2629
Patriot 4 x 1GB
http://www.patriotmemory.com/products/detailp.jsp?prodline=5&catid=2&prodgroupid=38&id=317&type=1

Previously, I had the E4500 OC’ed to 2.93 GHz (FSB 266) with my RAM running at 800 MHz 4-4-4-12 timings. The lowest (or highest) multiplier for ram that my mobo provides is 1:2. Mobo lists factors as 2, 3, 3.33, 4, etc.

I OC’ed my Q9550 but I had to settle for 3.4 GHz (FSB 400) with RAM at the same settings as with my previous OC. My temperatures are in low 30’s at idle and low 40’s at full load/stressing, with aftermarket cooling. The voltage for the CPU is set at 1.1875V. Right now, and back with the E4500, I had to boost the voltages to get the ram to run at the timings stated above. (+0.2V for RAM, +0.1V for bridges).

My problem is that I can’t seem to push Q9550 beyond FSB of 400, I think the RAM is incapable of being OC’ed beyond 800 MHz. I increased voltages on the sticks, nsb and ssb. I went as high as 1.35 on the CPU, +0.4 on the RAM (2.2 theoretically, based on readings), and boosted bridge voltages as well by 0.2V. I also increased the timings to 5-5-5-16. Nothing seems to work. Even at lower 400 FSB settings, e.g., 425 MHz, I managed to boot once, but most of the time the keyboard would lock up at OS selection screen (I run a dual-boot system).

Is there something else I should try, or is my mobo/ram the limiting factor and I should be happy with my rock solid 3.4… (but I’m not hehe). :bang head

Try removing two sticks of RAM, and leave the remaining two in either slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for a dual channel config. Leave the DRAM timings at 4-4-4-12 and 2.1V, then start increasing the FSB past 400MHz on a 2.00B System Memory Multiplier / 333 MCH strap = an effective 800MHz+ DRAM frequency.

Thanks for a quick reply. What is this going to accomplish or what is this eliminating from the equation, meaning, do you suspect some of the RAM to be malfunctioning?

If this works, and I'm able to OC, can I then put in the other 2 sticks?

You'll have a much easier time reaching > 800MHz by removing two of the four sticks. All 4 DIMM slots populated = higher stress on the MCH, which increases as you raise the FSB. You'd be better off purchasing 2 x 2GB sticks of DDR2-800 or higher, than spending the time trying to stabilize your system w/ 4 x 1GB installed.

Thanks for the advice, since I just wanted to swap the CPU without changing the rest of the system, I'm not going to do anything at this point. But for future reference I'll be getting least no. of sticks.

Back