• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig running way hot, need help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

homebuildit

I just upgraded my mobo/cpu/ram on my previously overclocked system I build in 2010. Problem is the new system is running way hot.

I'm using the same corsair 115i I had on the previous build on much older tech which I overclocked like crazy and it was still plenty cool. So I repasted teh cooler block and it's a little better maybe but still way too hot, and apparently is throttling back to stay under 100c.

Any advice?

New system is z370 8700k with Aorus gaming 7, corsair 115i in fractal define c case. It's running right now idling at 75c all cores but tthat's throttled way back to 800mhz. My old system I was oc'd well over 3500mhz while gaming reliably. This thing on the other hand is approaching melting at idle throttled way back.

What am I doing wrong? I dindn't update drivers yet, but I can't imagine any of them causing overheating. Thoughts?

I would check to make sure the pump is working, and that the fans are spinning. If they are, then I would remount the block on your cpu.

By feel..

Is it plugged in properly?

Idle at 75c and throttling sounds like its not mounted right.

if the pump/block feels warm to the touch, or the tubes at the bock feel warm, it's not working.

The pump is part of the cpu block. Make sure that it has power, before you start taking things apart. There is should be some sort of wiring that is connected to the pump.

if the pump/block feels warm to the touch, or the tubes at the bock feel warm, it's not working.

This. Every properly functioning water cooling system "equalizes" within a few minutes so that all parts in the loop will be the same temperature. If the CPU water block is noticeably hotter than the rest of the loop then the water in the loop is not circulating properly.

Thanks guys.

All the wires to the pump are plugged in and the lights on the pump lights up. I can feel a bit of vibration in the hoses and barely in the pump, tough to be sure without a good reference.

I tried repasting with arctic cleaner 1 and 2 and arctic silver 5, 3 times on the new setup no luck. So I swapped back in the old mobo/cpu and remounted it twice and still the same, windows boots up and stays on just long enough to get realtemp running and show me 100 100 100 100 c then shuts itself off. damn.

The radiator and hoses never get warm at all, only place I feel warmth is BEHIND the pump. So I can only guess that the coolant is not circulating. Somehow the pump must have failed at the mobo upgrade build, because it is not cooling at all it seems. Oh and this is with the bclock reset to low default clock settings and still super hot, which always ran super cool even way overclocked.

So I guess I need to get a new cooler too. Unfortunate because this 115i wasn't cheap and I haven't even been using it a year.

FYI I'm using arctic silver 5 applied by their instructions.

I may just go back to air, as one significant problem I have with the liquid is not being sure if pumping or not, while air no need to worry about that.

Any recommendations on what cooler?

Last edited:
Even with water not moving, its going to take more than 30s (boot and bring up RT) or so to reach 100c with an aio attached and not pumping. I still dont think its mounted right somehow. Thats really the only way it can go up so fast.

Even with water not moving, its going to take more than 30s (boot and bring up RT) or so to reach 100c with an aio attached and not pumping. I still dont think its mounted right somehow. Thats really the only way it can go up so fast.

If all else fails I'm willing to upplug my pump and see how Long till over heating but I have alot more water in my loop than the op would.

The water difference between a 2x120 aio and 3x120 custom loop isnt enough to change the story by much. Hell, i could (do/did) leave a ln ln2 pot on a system for 20 mins without a thing in it....but thats a ton of mass to heat up too so...

I can do it now with a corsair h115i and stock 7900x.

Edit: yeah... maybe the pump is dead..took my stock 7900x about a minute after boot to see 90+ and climbing...a lot faster than i thought!

Last edited:
The water difference between a 2x120 aio and 3x120 custom loop isnt enough to change the story by much. Hell, i could (do/did) leave a ln ln2 pot on a system for 20 mins without a thing in it....but thats a ton of mass to heat up too so...

Edit: yeah... maybe the pump is dead..took my stock 7900x about a minute after boot to see 90+ and climbing...a lot faster than i thought!

Thanks for checking that.

Interesting sign of the times, I just got back from driving over an hour to Boston, as I only know of one store in the entire state that stocks enthusiast hardware, Micro Center in Cambridge. I could have bought at best buy which has one same model of cpu cooler in stock at all the stores I checked.

I went with a hyper 212 air cooler due to my liquid pump issue, going to compare temps with the air cooler to what I was running on the old system. Plus I'll have to return the 115i. Another concern I have is the videos of crud in coolant and pump failures, though likely I'm just the recipient of back luck on my 115i, but it was expensive to last 6 months, whatever the cause.

5x120
I thought you would be surprised how fast

Thanks everyone. After a few issues that took forever to build/rebuild/repeatmany and driving a couple hundred miles for same day hardware, I'm extremely happy to report that my main rig is back up and running fast, cool, and at a whisper!

Right now as a test at stock clocking I'm rendering 3 instances of blender VSE files which is taxing my CPU at 47% at 4295mhz at ~50C! And way cooler is all I'm running is a single stock fan Cooler Master 212 and 1 stock exhaust fan, running at a whisper even with the case panels off, WAY quieter than my 115i, those fans were super loud.

Very happy again after a tough week fighting with this thing. Thanks again for all the help, especially from Earthdog who seemed to contribute to all of my threads!

Jay

5x120
I thought you would be surprised how fast

You know what is funny... last night I forgot I unplugged the pump to test and powered it on this morning. With the water at actual ambietn temps, it took around 5-6mins for the PC to shutdown.

@ home - glad its up... !

Back