• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New rig!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

freeagent

Ok so the other day something happened to my rig. I’m not sure what it was but the end result was I lost 3 hdd’s. I think they still work but I’m thinking the ports are done, meaning I lost some functionality. The grey ports that my ssd an tb drive are plugged into still work. Also, after that glitch I had to flash the bios because it wouldn’t read the right amount of ram. I’m pretty sure the same thing happened to my brother when he owned it.

So, I’m on a budget and this is what I was looking at for about 540 cad.

Cpu:
https://www.newegg.ca/amd-ryzen-5-2600x/p/N82E16819113497?Item=N82E16819113497

Mobo:
https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16813119100?Item=N82E16813119100

Ram:
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232475?Item=N82E16820232475

I’m open to suggestions if you see anything out of place.. hoping to place the order today!

From what I understand, you want RAM with an even # CAS for AMD. The RAM you selected has a CAS of 15. Switching to a slightly slower CAS 16 raises the price by a few $$$. I'm not too sure about this requirement so hopefully someone else will chime in.

I'm thinking this RAM would be a safer bet and give you full headroom to OC if it ever came up.
https://www.newegg.ca/g-skill-16gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232476

Thank you sir I will make the changes :thup:

Okay, so Im home from work. I lost my picture drive on my z77 system, so I tried it in my x58 system and it fired right up, all pictures and all my stuff on the other drives are there thankfully. I took them from my x58 and directly back to my z77 and hit go and bam there they were! The exact same thing happened to my brother when he owned this, except he lost his c and d drive, this time I had c and d but lost e, f, and g. I think it was because of my Auzentech prelude that "may" have gotten moist once when it was on my kitchen table and my then 3 year old bumped his sippy cup. But I could have sworn it worked but I guess not heh.. So, if something similar happens to you, maybe give that a whirl before you spend on a new rig.

But I am super impressed that you can buy a good 6 core cpu, mobo and okish ram for the cost of a mid range intel or mid to high amd cpu. I initially chose the 2600x and would have had that all for under $520. I still might, just because I'm getting sick of this things ****.

Last edited:
What was in the Sippy Cup? If it was juice or worse soda, y eah some sugar can do damage. Otherwise I'd still have a difficult time believing that its a sound card that got wet once. More likely something is going on causing the bios to become corrupted from time to time, stop recognizing drives etc. Could try flashing it.

For the build I would go with the 2600 and an all core overclock personally, although for only $20 the higher boost clock might be worth it if you mostly do single core stuff. The X also has a better cooler, if you plan to use the stock cooler. If possible I would try to get a stronger motherboard if you see yourself dropping a CPU with more cores into it in the future. This one has a rebate available https://www.newegg.ca/p/N82E16813157835. Of course, who knows if cores are going to become more relevant to gaming or not.

It was just water. I know the card works as I've used it a few times before.. but I use HDMI to my amp so don't really need it right now. This board is funky. I got it from my brother, and it pretty much did the exact same thing to him, minus the memory disappearing. He lost c and d drive, and couldn't get them to work on any channel or port. That was what I saw with my 3 drives. When I plugged each one into my x58 they all came back to life. I put them back in my z77 and they appeared right away too. Great. Something must have got scribbled. I fight for time on both of my computers, so now Im thinking Ill just build a new one anyways. the 2600 is only 180, but might just go with something in the 1k range. I might just roll with intel at this point I will do some more research.

Edit:

Ok so it did it again, can’t get it to see my drives. Got my new intel ssds today, and had a taste of 1.0GB/s for a bit. Kinda choked but whatever. Dammit.

Last edited:
I lost 3 hdd’s.
Also, after that glitch I had to flash the bios because it wouldn’t read the right amount of ram.
I’m pretty sure the same thing happened to my brother when he owned it.
Ok so it did it again, can’t get it to see my drives.
That's a lot of weird events and whenever I see a lot of weird, unexplained events, I want to verify power before spending money on anything else. I would swap in a known good PSU. And I would put that computer on a good UPS with AVR. A surge and spike protector is little more than a fancy and expensive extension cord. Plus, they wear out! And finally, check the wall outlets.

Every home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded to Earth ground. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets (outlets near water) too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the home and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Don't forget a new motherboard constitutes a new computer for software licensing purposes. If your current Windows license is an OEM/System Builder license (as the vast majority are), they are not "legally" transferable to a new computer under any circumstances. If that is the case for you, be sure to budget for a new OS license too. And then I recommend getting a full "Retail" license as they then are legally transferable to new computers.

I can see the all of my drives on my other pc. The mobo fires right up, can oc and looks completely normal, but it will not see any hdd/ssd on any channel or port with new and old cables. Rails look good. I miss my baby. Looked on Newegg for a new board but they cost as much as something current and is a refurb from god knows where. I’m paying rent on two places right now so the timing couldn’t have been better lol. I see mixed reviews from newer AMD stuff, strong but buggy, not as refined? Either way I don’t want to spend the money but at the same time I don’t want to waste it on a frustration box so I will spend if I have to :D

Edit:

Eff it I’m just going to get a 3600.

Last edited:
Speaking of sippy cups, I have to clean my keyboard again and am seriously considering putting saran wrap over it this time. Having to remove all the caps and wash by hand is a pita.

Ok, so yesterday I completely stripped my rig down, pulled the cpu and everything. Laid everything on the table and put it all back together after a good cleaning, plugged one of my drives in and hit go, and everything turned on but no hdd to be seen. None of them. I pretty much wrote it off right there. But! I was replacing my moms hdd in her dell lappy with my old m4 256.. big difference btw.. anyways, nothing wrong with her hdd and for S+G I plugged in her drive. hit go and BAM! saw the hdd fired right up, it was beautiful. I am now running my new drives in raid, and I have all of my other drives back. I have seven drives plugged in and Its working great right now. I talked to my brother on steam last night and told him what was going on, and he said it did the exact same thing before he gave it to me.

So I got my baby going again. But I still want something else. I have a Define C mini TG that is unused right now, bought it used thinking it would fit ATX, but there was a misunderstanding due to a language barrier.. So anyways, I wouldn't mind putting something in there. I'm so on the fence between R5 3600 and 9600K. Was thinking on maybe running it between 5-5.2 if I could figger out how to oc it. I know AMD is good right now, but.. got burned a few times in the past and having a hard time letting go :D

OK. So you already noted that your SATA ports are different colors. The colors denote different features which often relates to them be connected via different chipsets. One of your chipssets is wonky as frick. The marketing states that some of the ports are natively supported by the Intel chipset @ SATA III 6Gbs. Those would be the blue, gray and white ports and from what I understand of your problem, should probably be avoided. The navy blue are connected via a different chipset. While they are only SATA II 3Gbs, it sounds like they at least work.

This is from the web page:
Intel® Z77 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray,
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue,
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue,

Last edited:
Just watched this recently. Interesting stuff from Tech Jesus.

Tech Jesus...LOL! That is hillarious! I have tried to watch this guys vids before but have a hard time understanding what he is saying. His voice is difficult to understand. I like what he has to say...its just hard to hear.

OK. So you already noted that your SATA ports are different colors. The colors denote different features which often relates to them be connected via different chipsets. One of your chipssets is wonky as frick. The marketing states that some of the ports are natively supported by the Intel chipset @ SATA III 6Gbs. Those would be the blue, gray and white ports and from what I understand of your problem, should probably be avoided. The navy blue are connected via a different chipset. While they are only SATA II 3Gbs, it sounds like they at least work.

This is from the web page:
Intel® Z77 chipset :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), gray,
4 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), blue,
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
Supports Intel® Smart Response Technology, Intel® Rapid Start Technology, Intel® Smart Connect Technology
ASMedia® PCIe SATA controller :
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), navy blue,

Honestly, I think its a UEFI glitch. This board and CPU used to belong to my brother, it did the same thing to him when he owned it. he couldn't get it to see any SATA ports, all I did when he brought it over was take the ssd out of my R3F and plugged it into his board and it fired right up, like nothing was wrong.. He was blown away. Then it did the exact same thing to me, and I even flashed the bios and it seemed to help briefly, and then it just crapped its pants. I happened to be working on my moms laptop and had her hdd out, and for s+g I just plugged it into the board and it fired right up like nothing happened. And it is still running just fine, though I am not running 7x drives anymore, I am down to four, but all the ports work. I am still going to build a new rig, I have a Define Mini C TG that I bought by accident.. But my Meshify C in its current form has such wicked airflow, and a bit more room. So once I figure out what I want to do on that front then I will drop some bucks. I love my Meshify, but that little Define mini is classy.

I have my Intel drives on the grey ports, and my TB drives on the light blue ports. I was using the dark blue ports at one point and they seemed to work just fine. But those aren't intel so they aren't in use.. Tech Jesus is pretty cool. I started watching him about 6 months ago I guess. Actually, I just got into youtube last winter lol. Lots of neat stuff to watch there.

Is it steady "working" with just four drives? If so, you could have an underpowered PSU.

Back