• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erosion

Registered
So for a few weeks now my internet has been spotty with intermittent drops and lots and lots of packet loss, but after messing around a bit and bypassing my router and plugging pc directly into the modem I've come to the conclusion my router is crapping out..

my old router (Asus WL-520GU with DD-WRT firmware) didn't have the best WiFi by any means, 30ft or one wall and it was dead.

looking for something with awesome WiFi that will actually reach my whole house and garage

budget: $70-$120

I'm leaning towards TP-LINK AC1900
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704232

Seeing allot of positive things about it

I'm going to be picking up one of these on my way home from work today to replace my Netgear N600 (never got lucky enough for a DD-WRT Release)...

I have had great success with these in the past for customers with large houses (We are talking multi-million, 4 story homes with the router on the 1st floor). They are on sale for $49.99 in-store at MicroCenter if you wanted to save some money. I was buying these when their MSRP was over $150, so it feels like a great deal to me.

ASUS RT-AC1200 Dual Band 802.11ac Wireless Router

I'm using the TPLink N600 (TL-WDR3600) and it works like a charm. I was going to flash it with a modded firmware, but didn't have the need as it does an outstanding job. I have my Firestick connected to it from my bedroom and the router is in the livingroom with a spare bedroom inbetween :D

I've got the TPLink AC1900 and love it! Strong signal that even my next door neighbor's kids use when the come to visit her. It's been running for one year without any problems. Both bands are strong and the USB ports serve well for plugging in an external hard drive for network backup.

As this thread now has me curious, at what point should a person update their router? Mine is several years old now, but it's a gigabit router and the only wireless devises in my house are cell phones and ipad. With almost everything wired, is there reason to upgrade at any point?

If everything is running fine and you don't need any of the newer technologies then I'd say you should be okay.

I am upgrading mine because I have been running into issues over the last year and the firmware on my Netgear N600 is garbage. Not to mention it can't broadcast WiFi through my small 1100 sqft apartment, it just can't seem to get through the walls with a strong enough signal.

I wouldn't be so desperate to upgrade if I could get DD-WRT firmware for it, but my particular version of the N600 has been "in the works" for years now so needless to say I'll probably never see the modified firmware come out for mine.

Edit: I should also add that usually buying a new router means give and take. Upgrading at this point might get you better signal/speeds on N/AC bands, but you might start to lose backward compatibility. From experience when upgrading clients to N/AC routers often their older devices that could only utilize b/g bands would suffer. Then unfortunately you have to set the router into a special b/g compatibility mode which usually kills your N/AC speeds.

Last edited:
Back