• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Setup, Need council on OCing. Am I maxed out or can I try diff settings?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I respect Woomack's opinion with regards to running memory on both Intel and AMD platforms... And for that matter Johann also has lots of experience/knowledge with AMD...

But there is a long time overclocker from Finland named "The Stilt" who is very knowledgeable about AMD plaftforms including FX. You can do an "advanced" search for his posts over at Overclock.net FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club

Memory stress on the FX IMC with regards to quantity of sticks/DIMMS occupied... D/R = Double sided DRAM stick and S/R = Single sided DRAM stick:

FX memory snip 1.PNG

Running 32GB on newer FX:

FX memory snip 2.PNG
FX memory snip 3.PNG
Photos can be clicked here... http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club/56670#post_24773718

He was testing Samsung/Hynix based kits... And your Ballistix kit is most likely has some variant of Micron D9 ic?

I'd try running/testing them at ~1866 speed which seems to be well suited for FX... Maybe 10-10-10-30-2T or perhaps a little tighter with 9-10-9-28-2T and maybe ~1.55v/1.575v/1.6v dram voltage.

Please note that The Stilt was using/running a CHVF-Z motherboard not MSI... But I also noticed that your board actually did have a single Corsair Platinum 1866 32GB kit qualified by MSI in link posted earlier by Kenrou.

Last edited:
I respect Woomack's opinion with regards to running memory on both Intel and AMD platforms... And for that matter Johann also has lots of experience/knowledge with AMD...

But there is a long time overclocker from Finland named "The Stilt" who is very knowledgeable about AMD plaftforms including FX. You can do an "advanced" search for his posts over at Overclock.net FX-8320/FX-8350 Vishera Owners Club:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club

Memory stress on the FX IMC with regards to quantity of sticks/DIMMS occupied... D/R = Double sided DRAM stick and S/R = Single sided DRAM stick:

View attachment 178083

Running 32GB on newer FX:

View attachment 178084
View attachment 178085
Photos can be clicked here... http://www.overclock.net/t/1318995/official-fx-8320-fx-8350-vishera-owners-club/56670#post_24773718

He was testing Samsung/Hynix based kits... And your Ballistix kit is most likely has some variant of Micron D9 ic?

I'd try running/testing them at ~1866 speed which seems to be well suited for FX... Maybe 10-10-10-30-2T or perhaps a little tighter with 9-10-9-28-2T and maybe ~1.55v/1.575v/1.6v dram voltage.

Please note that The Stilt was using/running a CHVF-Z motherboard not MSI... But I also noticed that your board actually did have a single Corsair Platinum 1866 32GB kit qualified by MSI in link posted earlier by Kenrou.

I have ordered 2 140mm fans for the front of my case, I wanted to have that little extra airflow. So when I tear down into it, I'll take the 4 sticks out and try a single Samsung 1866 8GB stick I have and see if there's any difference in what I'm able to do. I'm not sure what Crucial uses for this Elite series RAM, but they do use Micron, Samsung, and SK Hynix

Last edited:
I have ordered 2 140mm fans for the front of my case, I wanted to have that little extra airflow. So when I tear down into it, I'll take the 4 sticks out and try a single Samsung 1866 8GB stick I have and see if there's any difference in what I'm able to do. I'm not sure what Crucial uses for this Elite series RAM, but they do use Micron, Samsung, and SK Hynix

Better flow through your case is always good.

CaddiDaddi already mentioned this earlier... Have you figured out a way to get some sort of spot fan blowing over your VRM heatsink? An 8-core FX will generate lots of heat for that part of the motherboard when running under full load. I run on an open air bench with my rig so it easy for me to prop a fan on it. Others will use plastic zip ties or double stick tape to mount a fan inside a case on the heatsink. Some people will go as far as mounting an additional slim fan against the underside of the board over the bottom socket bracket.

Running full bank dimms has got me a little curious... So I've swapped out a 2x4GB kit for 4x4GB sticks (Actually they are two identically spec'd 2x4GB kits not a quad kit but they both have the same type of Samsung ic)... I'll do some testing at ~1866C8 and see how it goes.

P1040237.JPG
FX-8370@4.9GHz DDR3-1866C8 4x4GB.PNG

Better flow through your case is always good.

CaddiDaddi already mentioned this earlier... Have you figured out a way to get some sort of spot fan blowing over your VRM heatsink? An 8-core FX will generate lots of heat for that part of the motherboard when running under full load. I run on an open air bench with my rig so it easy for me to prop a fan on it. Others will use plastic zip ties or double stick tape to mount a fan inside a case on the heatsink. Some people will go as far as mounting an additional slim fan against the underside of the board over the bottom socket bracket.

Running full bank dimms has got me a little curious... So I've swapped out a 2x4GB kit for 4x4GB sticks (Actually they are two identically spec'd 2x4GB kits not a quad kit but they both have the same type of Samsung ic)... I'll do some testing at ~1866C8 and see how it goes.

View attachment 178093
View attachment 178094

Yeah, figured I'd put the old stock heatsink fan that came with the CPU on the heatsink for the VRMs when the others come in and I open her up.

Back