• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Setup OC'ing (144/RS482/2x1gb G.Skill)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ziggo0

About 8 months ago I had a nice Opty 165/7800GTX/2x1gb G.Skill setup that was blazin fast crankin out FPS like nothing. My car broke down and sadly I sold it to afford the repair. Since then I've been stuck with a very slow Athlon XP, half a gig of RAM and a retarded 6600GT that doesn't work sometimes (lol). AND FINALLY! I've been able to afford a new setup...lets look at what we got here.

AMD Opteron 144 - Bought it off a user here, they ran it 2.9ghz all day and night with only 1.4vcore. Will be cooled by a Stock AMD Opteron 4 Heatpipe HSF!
DFI Infinity RS482 - Basically it's a mATX DFI Ultra-D. Kick *** for OC'ing on a mATX scale, look at windwithme's review here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=443541&highlight=rs482 - Board has mosfets sinked with copper.
2x1gb G.Skill PC4000 HZ's - Fresh from RMA to a user here, bought shortly by me. Runs DDR500 stock, potential to run up to DDR600. (Look at windwithme's review)
BBA ATi x1800XL - Got this for $130 with a Zalman VF900 already slapped to it. Talk about score :D
Enhance ENP-5150GH 500W - Apparently this is one of the best PSU's for a budget setup, even though it takes a $150 PSU to beat on it. Thanks Rattle :D

All this hardware will be packed into an Aspire Q-Pack case and very tidly wired. I received the HSF & RAM today like planned and the PSU should be here within the next 2 hours (UPS comes so late :(). When that rolls around I'll get this puppy going and I can't wait to OC! I have plans on grabbing a X2 3800 whenever my Tax Return sets in my bank account...I've been starved from OC'ing!

wow ziggo... nice snag... sounds like it should do pretty good.. I'll have to take a look at that mATX board... I'm thinking about going that route..

I have plans on WC'ing it...it was actually my initial plan but I just can't stand this Athlon XP anymore. So...I figure some light OC'ing on air won't kill :D

Edit: Oh my oh my Mr. UPS Man what might this package be? It weighs enough to be a PSU, big enough...Oh, my signature and name please? NO PROBLEM YAY!

Last edited:
just as a side note.. have you received the goods yet? I'm thinking of seriously going the mATX route to save desk space... please let us know how your OCing goes!! I'm very anxious. If your experience turns out well, I just might buy one and a nice little Q-Pack case to go with it. My W/Cing loops could be in an external enclosure- thats no problem..

SuperDave1685 said:
just as a side note.. have you received the goods yet? I'm thinking of seriously going the mATX route to save desk space... please let us know how your OCing goes!! I'm very anxious. If your experience turns out well, I just might buy one and a nice little Q-Pack case to go with it. My W/Cing loops could be in an external enclosure- thats no problem..

Yeah, the goods have arrived, she be all wired up and you know what makes me the happiest guy in the world? I pressed the power button one time, boot up without a single hitch and everything detected WITHOUT A SINGLE PROBLEM! WOOOT!. Dude I can already tell you now I will be happy like no other with this rig. I LAN a lot and I plan on buying a little 15" LCD, maybe 17" to mount to this Q-Pack case and have it detachable for LANing. Oh, and the WC'ing would all be internal except for the Rad which would be mounted to the 120mm exhuast at the rear.

Will have stock benchies posted here in a few, just got done reformatted, I'm getting my install goin :D

Last edited:
Here are the stock numbers.

AMD Opteron 144 @ 200x9 1:1 w/ 1.4vcore - AMD Stock Opteron Heatpipe HSF
x1800XL @ 500/1000 - Zalman VF900

Memory Bandwidth: 4,963mb/s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/200x9_sandra.jpg
SPI 1M: 45.453s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/200x9_spi.jpg
CSS Stress Test: 117FPS (1280x1024, Max Settings, 4x/8x, No HDR)
Idle: 28 ~ 30C
Load: 35 ~ 36C

Here is with the RAM at DDR500 // 250FSB

AMD Opteron 144 @ 250x9 1:1 w/ 1.4vcore - AMD Stock Opteron Heatpipe HSF

Memory Bandwidth: 6,160mb/s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/250x9_sandra.jpg
SPI 1M: 36.532s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/250x9_spi.jpg
CSS Stress Test: 124FPS (1280x1024, Max Settings, 4x/8x, No HDR)
Load: 37 ~ 38C

I tweaked the RAM a little bit...didn't increase the FSB but did some needed changes from auto values.

AMD Opteron 144 @ 250x9 1:1 w/ 1.4vcore - AMD Stock Opteron Heatpipe HSF

Memory Bandwidth: 6,203mb/s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/250x9tweaked_sandra.jpg
SPI 1M: 36.375s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/250x9tweaked_spi.jpg
CSS Stress Test: 122FPS (1280x1024, Max Settings, 4x/8x, No HDR)
Load: 37 ~ 38C

Up to 267 now...CPU stock vcore, RAM stock vdimm, 4x LDT

AMD Opteron 144 @ 267x9 1:1 w/ 1.4vcore - AMD Stock Opteron Heatpipe HSF

Memory Bandwidth: 6,656mb/s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/250x9tweaked_sandra.jpg
SPI 1M: 34.188s - http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/250x9tweaked_spi.jpg
CSS Stress Test: 125FPS (1280x1024, Max Settings, 4x/8x, No HDR)
Idle: 29 ~ 31C
Load: 37 ~ 39C

Last edited:
Hmm...I think I kinda ran into a wall with the RAM OC'ing last night/this morning. I tried 278x9 1:1 and Windows was crashing left and right so. After a few tries I wound up at 263x8 (to eliminate CPU), vdimm at 2.7 and my timing optimizations I just set back to auto. This RAM seems to be hitting a wall, I hope not :( It failed Prime95 after about 2 hours so I put the vdimm back down to 2.6 and hope this will yield a difference.

Can you test to find out the max HTT of the board? I'm just wondering if it can achieve 300HTT so that I can max out my Opteron 170. My Ballistix I have are perfectly stable at 290Mhz 3-4-4-10 1T with 3.0v, but getting those next 10 Mhz are killing me!!

Oh I will. I plan on running 322x9 / 166 as long term. Once I see that 263 is stable for at least about 10 hours (after I come home from work tonight) I'll shoot for a higher HTT

I've got a couple of these boards... nice mobos. Almost the same setup as you.

144 @ 2.9GHz, RS482, & AMD 4-Pipe HSF. (Onboard vid, sound, etc)

Actually mine is just a Folder / File & Game Server ATM. Although I'm transforming it this weekend into an HTPC. :D

I've had difficulty clocking RAM on these boards... all TCCD. Although I haven't put the time into them like I have my DFI nF4 boards. My 144 setup is running a heavy divider and 2-2-2-5 timings @ ~210MHz. I hate the way they didn't split up the ram banks to allow air flow between the dimms when running DC. TCCD can get pretty hot when highly clocked and no extra cooling.

I think you're gonna hit the wall with those HZs ~260-270 w/2.6v. I haven't seen any sets that do better with 2.7v+. On par, that's just where those guys wall.

Here's a pic of one of my RS482 mobos: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/harlam357/comp_room/HPIM0126.jpg

Will keep an eye on this thread... maybe you can help me clock up my mobos a bit better. Care to share which bios you're using and memory timings?

harlam357 said:
I've got a couple of these boards... nice mobos. Almost the same setup as you.

144 @ 2.9GHz, RS482, & AMD 4-Pipe HSF. (Onboard vid, sound, etc)

Actually mine is just a Folder / File & Game Server ATM. Although I'm transforming it this weekend into an HTPC. :D

I've had difficulty clocking RAM on these boards... all TCCD. Although I haven't put the time into them like I have my DFI nF4 boards. My 144 setup is running a heavy divider and 2-2-2-5 timings @ ~210MHz. I hate the way they didn't split up the ram banks to allow air flow between the dimms when running DC. TCCD can get pretty hot when highly clocked and no extra cooling.

I think you're gonna hit the wall with those HZs ~260-270 w/2.6v. I haven't seen any sets that do better with 2.7v+. On par, that's just where those guys wall.

Here's a pic of one of my RS482 mobos: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v663/harlam357/comp_room/HPIM0126.jpg

Will keep an eye on this thread... maybe you can help me clock up my mobos a bit better. Care to share which bios you're using and memory timings?

Hey that is pretty close to mine. Thats going to be a bad *** HTPC rig when it's done :D

I figure since these boards are just-as-if-not-almost-as capable as the DFI Ultra-D, that TCCD should fly. On my old Ultra-D, I had TCCD running 311FSB 1:1 all day. Sadly on these 1gb sticks they have Samsung UCCC so my settings may or may not help you. Right now I'm working with just 3-4-4-8 and the rest Auto, 2.6vdimm. I've read and been told this RAM is usually maxed out with 2.6vdimm so I'm going to leave it there. Right now I'm at 263FSB w/ 2.6vdimm and it's ran Prime95 stable for 3 hours straight. I figured the general sensis with these sticks are in between 260 and 270mhz, which IMHO isn't bad at all.

I'm just trying to max them out to see what they can do right now. If I can get 263 I'll be happy. I know my CPU can do 2.9ghz (322x9) all day long with low volts, that with a 166 divider puts the RAM right at 263. As I said before I'm working with the timings, I'm actually writing down (yes, pen and paper) all the timings I find relating to this board and other successful G.Skill HZ timings. I'll be more than glad to post them once I get around to testing them and/or I'll PM ya once I get a few of them under the belt.

Umm...as far as BIOS, I don't even know. I've considering changing or updating but I can't seem to find any custom BIOS. DFI Street is dead and I'm afraid to post on DIY Street lol. I also have all the MOSFETs sinked with copper ram sinks to help out, I noticed they get hot like no other.

harlam357, I found this a long time ago...the link was bad at old DFI Street and I managed to find it again, this might help a lot. http://www.distantnetwork.net/misc/gskillhz.html

Hmm...BIOS. The latest offical BIOS is 10/30/2006. It's what I have on here. I found this site here: http://www.lejabeach.com/DFI/dfirs482i/dfirs482i.html which has some Beta BIOS on it which are newer, almost 6 months newer. I downloaded the latest beta and I think I'm going to try it. Not sure where it came from though...

This is like the 4th edit...I guess I'm blind but apparently DFI released a newer BIOS for the Infinity RS482 on 01/23/2007. I'm going to try flashing that here in a second instead of the one above. Also...I just found out too that my board has a beta bios on it from 8 months ago o_O

Last edited:
Just as a side question.... anyone have any idea what chips are on the Crucial Ballistix Tracers? ya know, the PC4000 ones? I think I'm going to try some of those settings in that link you posted zigg. Thanks man.. my ram is good to go at 290 like I said.. just 10 more Mhz!!! lol

SuperDave1685 said:
Just as a side question.... anyone have any idea what chips are on the Crucial Ballistix Tracers? ya know, the PC4000 ones? I think I'm going to try some of those settings in that link you posted zigg. Thanks man.. my ram is good to go at 290 like I said.. just 10 more Mhz!!! lol

I believe they have Micron 5B G chips on them. They are known to hit 300 so keep trying man, your sooo close!~

IAmMoen said:
i actually have my gskill HZ's running at 285 so it can be done. Dont assume that 270 is all that those have in them. Good luck! :)

Yeah, I wasn't assuming that just yet. So much testing to do, so little time to do it in :)

Don't flash the BIOS! I already put the best one on there man. The max HTT is greater than 325. If you want to get your Opty to 2.9Ghz or more run a 6:5 divider, you won't take that much of a hit in performance because I've gotten 31sec SPI 1m with that before. Disable Sata 1 because it won't lock as well as your Sata 0.

Crank up your NB-SB voltage +.2 volts for both additional voltage options (I forget what they are called).

Also, put your ram in the Dimm slots furthest away from the CPU. It works better on the RS482s for some reason.

Enjoy!

Maviryk said:
Don't flash the BIOS! I already put the best one on there man. The max HTT is greater than 325. If you want to get your Opty to 2.9Ghz or more run a 6:5 divider, you won't take that much of a hit in performance because I've gotten 31sec SPI 1m with that before. Disable Sata 1 because it won't lock as well as your Sata 0.

Crank up your NB-SB voltage +.2 volts for both additional voltage options (I forget what they are called).

Also, put your ram in the Dimm slots furthest away from the CPU. It works better on the RS482s for some reason.

Enjoy!

Yes Sir! Will do that now :D - What exactly do you mean by Disabling SATA 1? In the BIOS I figure...it's probably the 3rd and 4th SATA port? Also...I don't know if you can remember, but I believe the BIOS you had on here was 10/26/2006, it's what I remembered and it matches up on DFI' Site.

BIOS Updated to 10/26/2006: Check
SATA 1 Disabled: Check
NB-SB Voltages +.2v: Check (For Both)
RAM in DIMM Slots 3 & 4: Check

Last edited:
ziggo0 said:
NB-SB Voltages +.2v: Check (For Both)

Yep... I've found that upping these chipset voltages (although I've only gone +.1v) has yielded better stability at higher OCs.

Just for laughs.. I was going to try out those settings when I got home at 8:30, I was imputing the numbers into the BIOS and I just passed out till like 2am lol. Nothing like a nice drool spot and a keyboard imprint on ya face :D Can someone tell me how to fit that huge *** table on one page? It keeps cutting off the last several columns...

Back