• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Setup OC'ing (144/RS482/2x1gb G.Skill)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
With the previous BIOS & using the closest RAM slots, i managed to get about 4 hours and 30 minutes of stability @ 263x8 before Prime95 errored. I went to the above stated settings and now it fails in just over a hour :(

SuperDave1685 said:
JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY, WHAT CASE ARE YOU USING?

Aspire Q-Pack

SuperDave1685 said:
Just for laughs.. I was going to try out those settings when I got home at 8:30, I was imputing the numbers into the BIOS and I just passed out till like 2am lol. Nothing like a nice drool spot and a keyboard imprint on ya face :D Can someone tell me how to fit that huge *** table on one page? It keeps cutting off the last several columns...

LOL...I've been up till very early the past couple days OC'ing and other what not, so nice to have a decent rig again!

Hmm... weird...

In that case, change the BIOS back to the previous one, then up the Vcore... if you have temps to spare...

What are your load temps BTW? I always had w/cing on that mobo...

And you meant 263x9 correct? Because 263x8 is way too low...

Oh, you changed your HTT bandwidth to x3 right? Because x4 or x5 is no go.

Hows that Q-Pack? I wonder if theres enough room in there for a pump... I doubt it though... I was gonna drill a hole in the top of the case to route my cpu block tubes through and use some standoffs to mount the radiator on top of the case... Does the little temperature gauge actually work?

There's room in there, may be a bit cramped, but you can fit everything inside the case if you really, really wanted to(but it would make for a very cramped space). (obviously have to use an MCP350/355)

I had my 1900xt and Opteron 165 watercooled with 1/2" ID tubing inside the Qpack, with the rad/pump external (only because I was using 2 dual heatercores).

The temp gauges are great and surprisingly accurate. I taped one to the side of my radiator and the other infront for the air intake to measure ambient and water temps.

Maviryk said:
Hmm... weird...

In that case, change the BIOS back to the previous one, then up the Vcore... if you have temps to spare...

What are your load temps BTW? I always had w/cing on that mobo...

And you meant 263x9 correct? Because 263x8 is way too low...

Oh, you changed your HTT bandwidth to x3 right? Because x4 or x5 is no go.

My load temps are around 36 ~ 40C pending ambient.

I've been using the 8x multi to find my RAM's max while eliminating the CPU. I've been using 4x because it doesn't seem to high...but if 3x is the trick, it didn't work either. 4x LDT I failed Prime95 after about 4 ~ 5 hours, 3x I failed in 2 hours.

SuperDave1685 said:
Hows that Q-Pack? I wonder if theres enough room in there for a pump... I doubt it though... I was gonna drill a hole in the top of the case to route my cpu block tubes through and use some standoffs to mount the radiator on top of the case... Does the little temperature gauge actually work?

I love it...nice and small, easy to move around, once I mount the LCD to it, it will be awesome for LANs.

Oy... lets try x9 multi and x3 LDT and see what happens...

I'm not sure what setting x8 multi and x3 LDT does.

You'll be ok up to ~48C.

Oh btw I'm not sure how much weight that handle can withstand so mounting the LCD to it may not be the best of ideas. :eek:

Finally, an UPDATE!

Well lots of things have happened in the past day concerning this setup and overclocking. I've given up on getting 263FSB 1:1 stable and moved onto say 255FSB 1:1 so I can run 312x9/166 (RAM would be at 255 in the end). Well, when I went to go try this, no matter how many times I put it in, I tried all 10 BIOSs, different voltages, everything, anything over 300HTT would just give a nice long BEEP. I eventually switched to a BIOS some people recommenced on the old DFI Street for over 300HTT, which is the 7/11/2006 BIOS. I tried that and still, no post. There is this setting called "Odd Divisor Correct" which rounds up the multiplier to 12 if your using an odd numbered multi (I was using 9). Now, with this being done, some way some how it allowed me to run 312x9/166, post and boot just fine. My RAM however was at 242 (because of the divide by 12 for multiplier) instead of 255 because of that setting. Low and behold, I slow learn this board is picky like a mother effer. I turned off that setting to bring my RAM up and here is what I had to do.

1. Set general RAM settings instead of Auto
2. 3x LDT
3. NB/SB voltage had to be +0.2v or else it wouldn't post.
4. Disable CLK Spread or however its spelled.

By doing this, I have been able to post, boot and run just fine. I'm currently running Prime95 on 312x9/166, 1.50vcore and the above settings. It's almost a hour and a half in and looking great so far! Here are some bench results of the max of my setup so far...

312x9/166 255fsb
=====================
SPI 1M: 29.869s
Bandwidth: 7,224mb/s

323x9/166 263fsb
=====================
SPI 1M: 28.921s
Bandwidth: 7,378mb/s

312x9/166 224fsb
=====================
SPI 1M: 30.343s
Bandwidth: 6,756mb/s

323x9/166 242fsb
=====================
SPI 1M: 29.359s
Bandwidth: 7,031mb/s

An almost 27s 1M PI! Pretty impressive once you work the kinks outta this board.

And finally...YAY! An overclock that was stable, and not to shabby eh? 312x9/166, 2.8ghz, nice round even number, 29s SPI 1M and over 7k memory bandwidth.

312x9_166_255_prime95.jpg

Temps are a bit warm, for some reason its above freezing outside and my room actually got warm? So...normally it's about 31 ~ 33C Idle, 44 ~ 47C Load. When my room is warm, 33C ~ 35C Idle & 47C ~ 50C Load. Now I can honestly say I'm happy with this board. Just took a while to get to know her before I got in ;)

I'm sure you can get 2.9 Ghz out of it stable, it's what I had my Opty 144 running at.

If your ram is holding you back try setting it to 2T.

Maviryk said:
I'm sure you can get 2.9 Ghz out of it stable, it's what I had my Opty 144 running at.

If your ram is holding you back try setting it to 2T.

Yeah, I'm sure I could as well but I need better cooling. I'll never use 2T ever ever ever...it kills performance and bandwidth.

3%?? Where did that number come from? When I was trying to get my Crucial Ballistix to do 300Mhz, at 1T, it yielded about 7200MB/s, and at 2T, it was like 6200 MB/s...thats a huge difference if you ask me.. At 272Mhz at 3-4-4-8, I get around 7250Mb/s.... I'll take the lower RAM speed with tighter timings and more bandwidth any day...

Back