• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Switch Coming October 8th

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rainless

Old Member
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nintendo-switch-oled-coming-october-132215588.html

64GB of memory. 7-inch screen... not much else.

Not the "faster processor! 4k 120hz HDMI!" that some people were expecting and... to be honest... was a little unrealistic.

Of course they wouldn't be able to come out with a brand new console when they've JUST SOLD like 700 million Switches.

(Although I think even that betrayal wouldn't be enough to deter the Nintendo fanboys.)

Was upset at not being able to get a Switch at the beginning of the pandemic and getting stuck with a Lite. But NOW it seems I saved myself some cash! I can sell the Switch light and upgrade to the new Switch which, hopefully, doesn't have the original's drift problem. (which I never experienced with the Lite.)

Honestly disappointed. I don't think it would be unreasonable to believe they could put out a 4k capable switch using Nvidia's newer tegra chips. Generally Jason Schreir is pretty on point with his info and leaks. So maybe there is still something else coming eventually, similar to the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X mid-gen upgrade. (Or New 3DS XL or whatever it was... With the asinine naming and barely used).

I DOUBT the next version will have different joycons. I imagine they will be the same and still suffer from drift issues. I had to rma both of our joycons because of it, and it spent 99% of the time docked and only used them for playing Pokemon Let's go games by the kids.

So basically $50 more for 64GB built in storage, an improved stand, Ethernet in the dock, and an OLED screen. If I was buying my first switch id consider it, but we already have two. If they had released one that offered 4K/HDR and announced games that will be updated to support it and future games I would have gotten one so each of the kids and I would have our own.

Honestly disappointed. I don't think it would be unreasonable to believe they could put out a 4k capable switch using Nvidia's newer tegra chips. Generally Jason Schreir is pretty on point with his info and leaks. So maybe there is still something else coming eventually, similar to the PS4 Pro/Xbox One X mid-gen upgrade. (Or New 3DS XL or whatever it was... With the asinine naming and barely used).

I DOUBT the next version will have different joycons. I imagine they will be the same and still suffer from drift issues. I had to rma both of our joycons because of it, and it spent 99% of the time docked and only used them for playing Pokemon Let's go games by the kids.

So basically $50 more for 64GB built in storage, an improved stand, Ethernet in the dock, and an OLED screen. If I was buying my first switch id consider it, but we already have two. If they had released one that offered 4K/HDR and announced games that will be updated to support it and future games I would have gotten one so each of the kids and I would have our own.

Yeah I think that's what everyone was expecting. It's really quite the swerve...

...but I really don't think anything else is coming after this.

Honestly that MIGHT have originally been their goal... but maybe it was an issue of the Pandemic and the supply chain and all the cell phone and tablet makers snatching up all the 4K chips while meanwhile there was a surplus of 1080p chips.

That's how the BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera 6K came about...

They were selling Pocket 4K cameras faster than they could crank out Micro-Four Thirds (MFT) sensors... but they had PLENTY of APS-C sensors laying around.

Thinking about getting one of these to play BOTW....and whatever Metroid title is out.:cool: Wondering if my eyes can read the text on the screen...:unsure:

Thinking about getting one of these to play BOTW....and whatever Metroid title is out.:cool: Wondering if my eyes can read the text on the screen...:unsure:
You can play either on the handheld or on another display, just FYI. My Switch (I didn't get the OLED version) came with a dock for using it with a monitor/TV.

We have the Switch OLED & my wife says the handheld picture is great. I've only played it connected to the TV.

My kids occasionally play with the switch(es) undocked, but for me 99.9% is on the dock.

Well, I hate you all.

Found a "reseller" selling one of the white OLEDs for "only" $50 above MSRP, decided to jump on it. Been meaning to give BotW and this pokemans thing a go.

I am familiar with the hardware...but using the TV is out...Otherwise I would have the PS4 or PC display on it...Wife needs the TV pretty much 24/7. I miss playing in my Mancave on the big TV. Just want to sit in my recliner at night when I am too tired to walk 15' to the PC(PS4)....:unsure::p

So the consensus is that its fun? Going to order one now for my Bday in August.:cool:;)

Looking for an OLED BOTW bundle...Does this bundle from Walmart look within reason? I can get it by Wed. $554 +tax

Last edited:
Could always use steam link to stream to your phone and link a controller to it also

Could always use steam link to stream to your phone and link a controller to it also
Yeah I tried that but it seemed too much for me...I bought the controller when it was really cheap. It was to stream to the TV. I didn't like the controller that much and like to look at 3 screens at once...TV , Pixelbook and Pixel phone. I am counting on the switch controller's to be much better. I never game on my phone to be honest. If it is not much better than a phone , maybe I should skip it...

That bundle price seems really high to me. I was able to pick from 3 sites (walmart, bestbuy & gamestop) to buy a switch oled at retail ($349) back in December. I don't understand why they are unavailable now, but it just bothers me to see these Walmart 'partners' ripping people off. Personally I would wait for a little bit to see if they come back in stock at retail again.

But I'm kinda cheap. :thup:

I ended up sleeping on it and cancelled my order...I thought delivery was Wednesday ...It is Wednesday the 9th...Walmart has to contact the seller and the seller decides if it can be cancelled. If it ships and I have to return it..I'll keep it. Otherwise I'll keep playing the PS4.

EDIT: First message from seller it was too late...I would need to return it...Message today...Order was cancelled. I admit I am a little disappointed was looking forward to playing BoTW,:cry:

Last edited:
That's a shame, and a little surprising. Got mine through Walmart too and they shipped it direct, didn't know they were doing the marketplace thing as well.

It's crazy. Here in Europe it would be EXTREMELY DIFFICULT to avoid ANY Switch. Especially the OLED version. This reminds me of the Great Nintendo Wii Controller Shortage that, apparently, only existed in North America. (At the time I posted a photo from the Virgin Megastore on the Champs Elysee where they had THOUSANDS of Wii Controllers stacked to the sky...)

Here you can get a Switch at the grocery store, cell phone shops, probably the laundromat...

Back