• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New system issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

The_Candyman

Registered
Hello, I'm the candyman, most people call me Candy for short. I'm a new member, but i do visit the main site every now and then.

Well, since no one I know can help me. First ill start with my new system specs

AMD64 3000+ 939 Venice
DFI LanParty UT nF4
XFX 6600GT PCI-E
2x512 HyperX (400)
2x120 GB IDE HDD's
CD-RW
DVD-ROM

Ok... To be honest, I dont even know what my problem is, ill just try and describe issues, and hope for nice feedback, and good questions, if there are any..

I got my new parts... installed them... and one stupid thing I did was not check my PSU, i thought I had a 480W, but i had a 400W (it came with my Rosewill case)... So while noticing this before I try booted... I only had one of my HD's and my CD-RW drive plugged into power, so i didn't fry my PSU.

It wont detect my IDE devices, so i have to go to BIOS, detect them and reboot. Once i do that i set it to boot b CD first, i put in my disc. Now, it goes the black screen saying "Setup is detecting current config"... then it'll go to the blue Windows Setup screen.. At the bottom (in the gray bar area) it (i cant say exactly.. just the routine crap) says like "press F3 to load RAID" or w/e.... Then... that text goes away, and it just freezes. At least im sure its freezing. I dont see anything happen, i let it run for 30 mins just to see if something was running slow, nope.. Nothing.. So it just sits there at the Windows Setup screen, all blue, cept for the gray/tan bar at the bottom, that's just blank.

BTW, I've taken A+, so I know a few things, but that damn class is never up-to-date... lol.. Thank you guys for any help I get.. I really appreciate this, Im going to MML (June 23rd) and I really need to get this working 1-2 weeks before so i can have everything, including games, up to date.

-Candy

Last edited:
Well Welcome to the forums :welcome:

Have you reset the bios... Also I think it comes with a disk for this exact issue

Hmm... Reset the BIOS.. As in to defaults?.. Ya i've done that.. And a disk.. Hmmm Ill go look for one now.. As in Floppy disk, or CD disc?.. :)

Candy

nvm that disk is only for sata raid. Did you check to make sure one drive was on master and the other one on slave?

If that doesnt work just try the floppy disk (black floppy that says SATA RAID driver disk nvidia nf4)

There are also windows boot disks you can try but you need like 6 floppys to use them.

Also just check the cpu/heatsink to make sure its seated correctly cause i have had funny things happen and when i reseat the heatsink everything works fine

Ok... Well I've tried that floppy already (SATA RAID) it does nothing. And yes my HD's are set to Master and Slave... I did have one set to Master w/ Slave, and the other to Slave, and it wasn't detecting my master HD, but then i remembed I only have my Master plugged in, so i had to remove the jumpers, and set it to just Master. Anyway, ill probably come back on here later tonight.. Im gonna take everything out... and reseed everything... While i'm doing this, if anyone has questions to ask me that may help me.. Please do..

Candy

Also run with the minimum... i.e. dont run the second hdd, a second cd drive, and etc.

Make sure everything is corrected correctly (I had issues when I installed my new board because I forgot to attach the molex connector to the mobo)

Well... I knew about this.. But i kinda forgot.. Do you think this may be happening b/c my mobo us a 24 pin, and my PSU is 20 pin?..

Candy

I dont think that should cause this problem but that may be a specific issue for your board. The 20 to 24 pin adaptor worked fine on my old mobo.

Ok.. I took everything out... EVERYTHING... put everything back in.. 1 by 1... plugged everything back in... Inserted my windows disc, got to Windows Setup screen... and same thing.. but im about to eat.. So im just gonna let it sit there, maybe (which i highly doubt) it's just taking a very long time... I hope so.... = (

Candy

Welcome to the forums from me too :)

Is the PSU that came with the case something like this one?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...ower Computer Case 400W Power Supply - Retail

If so, you have a problem and it's name is Deer (one of the worst PSU makers out there). This is exactly the kind of issue I've come to expect from their units - ATM I do think you have power issues. My suggestion would be to replace it, whether it's the cause of the problem or not, with something 400w+ and a good 12v specification from Fortron/Sparkle, Seasonic, Antec, Enermax, PC P&C, OCZ, or Zippy.

If you have friends with known good PSU's you can borrow, give that a try and see if it clears things up.

Can't make out the label on that one, but considering the price I think it's probably about the same quality if it's not a Deer. Rosewill gets their PSU's from a number of different makers, of which Deer is the worst and ATNG is the best (the ATNG ones aren't so bad).

Good luck :)

http://www.xoxide.com/ultra-x-connect-500-watt.html

Ok, my buddy showed me this PSU yesterday, and I wouldn't buy iy.. But it has a $30 MIR, comming to about $60 for total. Now it says it has "6 4-pin Peripheral power connectors" Now.. I'd rather look/sound stupid on these forums than pay $90 for a PSU that dont work... Those 4-pin power connectors are like the regular power conectors i'd use on an IDE device, correct?.. Im 99% sure... but that 1% is making me ask this question.. haha.. :p

Candy
**EDIT**
Dont even worry about that question.. I found something that told me correctly.. haha... Like I said, I dont mind making myself sound stupid, as long as i dont do anything wrong.. haha

No such thing as a stupid question ;)

These Ultras are a good step up from Deer already. They're about average quality - you could easily do better or worse. I wouldn't personally buy one though, even with a MIR bringing it down to a more reasonable $60, where Fortron/Sparkle pretty much runs the "bang for the buck" show. If you're looking to go modular, the OCZ Modstream and Antec Neopower are better choices.

That be a Deer alright. L&C Power, Allied, and Deer are all owned by the same company - Foxconn. You can find their products everywhere, mostly in cheap cases where the PSU is the item they skimp on to sell it that cheap. Other aliases I know of off the top of my head are Eagle, Austin, US-Can, Tsunami, Mustang, Duro, and Okia. And I know I'm forgetting a few - too many to remember. A lot of companies will have something decent at the top end and Deer at the bottom end, like Rosewill.

It'll be interesting to see if the Ultra you borrow (if that's the one you're borrowing) will solve the problem. These are Taiwan Youngyear made - slightly below average, but not usually dangerous to hardware like these Deer units are.

Back