• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so I've been reading a lot on overclocking this evening and I've come across P95 and IBT. Any thoughts? Id like to see a stable OC of 3.4 or 3.5 as ive read a lot of people have done it.successfully with the same CPU

The reality of the situation -

1. You have a low end motherboard of an old generation that wasn't even initially designed for your CPU. This doesn't mean an overclock isn't doable, I've done over 4.2 GHz on a 965 BE with an M3N78-AM.

2. To be honest, the temperature readings coming from HWMonitor aren't all that important except the reading from the CPU, which is read correctly. (33c - 40c in your screenshot).

3. ASUS may not respond to you about the temperature readings - they have better things to deal with than to dig up a mid-range 4 year old board for 30 seconds of testing.

4. 3.4-3.6 GHz is realistic, maybe a little bit more. :) ...I don't know why you decreased voltage lower than stock though. You're gonna need 1.45v+ ;)

The reality of the situation -

1. You have a low end motherboard of an old generation that wasn't even initially designed for your CPU. This doesn't mean an overclock isn't doable, I've done over 4.2 GHz on a 965 BE with an M3N78-AM.

2. To be honest, the temperature readings coming from HWMonitor aren't all that important except the reading from the CPU, which is read correctly. (33c - 40c in your screenshot).

3. ASUS may not respond to you about the temperature readings - they have better things to deal with than to dig up a mid-range 4 year old board for 30 seconds of testing.

4. 3.4-3.6 GHz is realistic, maybe a little bit more. :) ...I don't know why you decreased voltage lower than stock though. You're gonna need 1.45v+ ;)

Ok. Well like I said I am completely new to the OC world I do plan on eventually, after the holidays, saving up to buy a newer set up as I will need it for the web developing aspect. I've got very limited knowledge on BIOS OCing which is why I came to this site for some input and advice so that I wont have to worry about frying anything as much in making the wrong changes

Try setting the CPU Multiplier to 16x in the BIOS and voltage to 1.425v :)
Post a screenshot of Prime95 back here, and keep watch on that TEMPIN2 reading, if it gets over 140c, stop the test. Also, is much heat coming from the VRM area under load? (Left side of the motherboard near rear I/O panel)

Try setting the CPU Multiplier to 16x in the BIOS and voltage to 1.425v :)
Post a screenshot of Prime95 back here, and keep watch on that TEMPIN2 reading, if it gets over 140c, stop the test. Also, is much heat coming from the VRM area under load? (Left side of the motherboard near rear I/O panel)

Ok I will try that. How long should I run P95 for before posting back a SS? Ive kept an eye on TEMPIN2 all the time and within just a few mins of boot up it goes from 90*C to 124*C and there is barely any heat comming from the VRM area as I have been able to even touch the heatsink towards the end of a 45 minute P95 blend test so I am not sure exactly what the TEMPIN2 measures

What about the northbridge / southbridge heatsinks? I wouldn't imagine the Southbridge heatsink getting that hot nor the northbridge.

In the bios nothing is outrageous for temperature readouts are they? If all of those are fine then just ignore TMPIN2.

30 minutes to an hour will work.

What about the northbridge / southbridge heatsinks? I wouldn't imagine the Southbridge heatsink getting that hot nor the northbridge.

In the bios nothing is outrageous for temperature readouts are they? If all of those are fine then just ignore TMPIN2.

Nothing on my MOBO is hot to the touch and no crazy readouts or anything in BIOS. I will run P95 at the suggested setting either tonight or tomorrow and post a SS if successful

As far as the 118C on tmpin2, I have a feeling that it's just a false "aux" reading. I wouldn't worry about it at all.

Ok so I ran P95 for an hour at the 1.425V but I did the cpu multiplier x17.0. The hottest temp I saw was 45*C. I have attached an image. No errors or warnings. The picture quality looks off cause I had to save it as a .gif file to compensate for the size of the file (running dual monitors ATM while usually I run Eyefinity)

Attachments

• Untitled3.gif
    Untitled3.gif
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Alright, looks good. :)
Keep upping the CPU Multi by .5x and see what ya get.

I like to work backwards, so you could set something like 18.5x which will probably fail and work your way down.

Beep, now that I look closer at your avatar I see it's an LN chamber. At first I thought it was a sea slug.

Back