• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Newbie85

Registered
Hey everyone. I am new to this site and new to OCing. I have been contemplating OCing for a while and have decided to give this site a look to see if I can get any suggestions or if i should just keep it as is. Everything is currently set at stock original settings as I have not made any adjustments. I do some gaming (WoW and Diablo 3) and I am also learning web developing so I use text editors, photoshop, etc.

My system:

Corsair 900T Black Case
Windows 7 Home 64-bit
Asus M3N72-D Mobo
Amd Phenom ll x4 940 Black Edition
Corsair Hydro Enclosed Loop CPU Water cooling (doing a Push-Pull setup)
Corsair TX650W PSU
4 Gigs PC2-6400 PNY RAM
XFX ATI Radeon HD 5770 GPU
60G OCZ Agility2 SSD boot drive
320G WD SATA data drive

I will also make an attempt to attach a screen shot showing the CPUID information. I know I have a ton of air cooling (220MM fan in front and top of case, 4 120MM side fans.) I appreciate any and all help/advice.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    631.1 KB · Views: 101
do you know how to use your bios?

Yes I am familiar with the BIOS. I've done repairs and custom installs and messed around with settings for about 12 years, just never ventured into OCing and messing with voltages and what not in the bios

now, you have taken the airflow away from the things around the water block you mounted called the vrm section this is shown by the line in hardware monitor called tmpin2. can you mount a fan on the side of the case to blow in to area on the side of the cpu that is oposite from the memory?
if you can, do so now.
if you can't, do it anyway.

you list 4 side case fans.
are they all intake fans?

Last edited:
if you have not fried it, tmpin2 is the socket/vrm temp and you are almost double what we like to see it at high clocks.

Last edited:
now, you have taken the airflow away from the things around the water block you mounted called the vrm section this is shown by the line in hardware monitor called tmpin2. can you mount a fan on the side of the case to blow in to area on the side of the cpu that is oposite from the memory?
if you can, do so now.
if you can't, do it anyway.

you list 4 side case fans.
are they all intake fans?

2 of the fans on the side intake and the other 2 are exhaust to help with the heat from the graphics card. Should I turn all 4 into intake?

124? Can it get that high without frying? Jesus x_x

As a follow up to some concerns on this temp I have done some online reading. I've read a lot about how the cpuid could be misreading that making it incorrect and that if it really was that hot then I would deffinitely know it. I also have read some other suggestions for other types of monitors that I could try. So I will do a little more investigating and see if I can find the problem. I have put my hand into my case even after hours of raiding in WoW before when I played a lot and it never felt concerningly hot. I have great wire management so none of the cables are interfering. I'm hoping its just a misreading. I'll also try to post a picture if the inside of my case tonight to show a better idea of my setup

As a follow up to some concerns on this temp I have done some online reading. I've read a lot about how the cpuid could be misreading that making it incorrect and that if it really was that hot then I would deffinitely know it. I also have read some other suggestions for other types of monitors that I could try. So I will do a little more investigating and see if I can find the problem. I have put my hand into my case even after hours of raiding in WoW before when I played a lot and it never felt concerningly hot. I have great wire management so none of the cables are interfering. I'm hoping its just a misreading. I'll also try to post a picture if the inside of my case tonight to show a better idea of my setup

Run P95 for a few minutes, then touch your mosfet / VRM heatsink (The long skinny one beside the CPU on your motherboard, not the square beneath your CPU, if you didn't know)

If it hurts to touch, it could be a reading something close to that high.. If it is very cool, then it very well could have a bad connection and the temp could be true as well.

I always say it does well to give your VRM and NB heatsinks a little push, sometimes they don't make good contact with what they are cooling out of the assembly line :attn:

and all 4 case side fans as intake till we work this out.
post hardware monitor screensot in EVERY POST,till we work this out.

and all 4 case side fans as intake till we work this out.
post hardware monitor screensot in EVERY POST,till we work this out.

Ok so I will turn the other 2 fans around. I have also made the changes in the cpu voltage to drop it drom 1.44v to 1.375v. Also attached is a picture of the inside of my case. The two fans attached to my Rad for my closed loop are server case fans and run at a very high RPM bringing in cool air from the back which feels like it blows on the VRM heatsink. I am writing this as I am currently running P95 as well. I have been running it for almost 10 minutes and the TMPIN2 number hasnt moved one bit and is staying steady at 118*C so I believe this is not reading correctly or is reading something else. I can place my hand on the VRM Heatsink and leave it there as it is pretty cool. My temps on my cpu are reading at 39*-40*C during P95 so far. I will post a pic of this as well.

Attachments

• DSC_0034.gif
    DSC_0034.gif
    265.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Untitled3.png
    Untitled3.png
    229.7 KB · Views: 86
newbie85, could you e-mail asus support and get them to define the sensors displayed as tmpin0 and tmpin2 in hardware monitor. I have gotten a pm from mr. trents and this only seems to have been sorted out for the gigabyte boards.
doing this will also help add to the info in the heads around here.

I suspect you will be told that tmpin0 is actually the socket temp but i am not comfy till they say one way or the other.

newbie85, could you e-mail asus support and get them to define the sensors displayed as tmpin0 and tmpin2 in hardware monitor. I have gotten a pm from mr. trents and this only seems to have been sorted out for the gigabyte boards.
doing this will also help add to the info in the heads around here.

I suspect you will be told that tmpin0 is actually the socket temp but i am not comfy till they say one way or the other.

Sure i will give it a try and get in contact with Asus tomorrow and see if I can get an answer from them. I ran P95 for about 2 hours today and the highest I saw CPU temp go was 41*C and the tmpin temp still hovered at 118*C

Good evening, I have finally had a chance to send in the support ticket to ASUS. They should get back to me within 48 hours according to an email I received.

Good evening, I have finally had a chance to send in the support ticket to ASUS. They should get back to me within 48 hours according to an email I received.

Don't sit up at night waiting for that email from Asus tech.

Don't sit up at night waiting for that email from Asus tech.

Ha, so I've heard from a lot of stuff I read while trying to find the best way to find the serial number for my mobo (got it second hand). ASUS tech isn't very helpful from what Ive read

I haven't found any motherboard manufacturers that have very responsive tech support. I suppose a lot of them are understaffed and overwhelmed.

I dunno, I've asked Gigabyte support questions about their products through the normal support channel and they've come back to me within 48 hours with BIOS screens and all, exactly what I asked, won a sale (990FXA-UD5 Rev 1.1) out of me.

ASUS support usually the same kind of experience personally. Took me 6 months to RMA my motherboard, they kept making new tickets for me, and turnaround on my board (it was repaired at the facility) was about 10 business days total.

Back