• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking, questions about +4200 x2 manchester

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MykC

his is my first post at this site, so hello to all. I'll also say I've never really messed seriously with over clocking my CPU before so a lot of this is new to me.

CPU: AMD 64x2 Manchester 4200+ @ 2.21 Ghz
Motherboard: MSI K8N Neo4 Series (MS-7125)
RAM: 2x SuperTalent SUPERTALENT 1 GB PC3200 DDR SDRAM
Video: ATI Radeon x1950 pro 256 MB
Power: OCZ 420W Powerstream
Othersoftware: Everest, SuperPI and Prime95 2.58

The computer has an after market cooling solution. I'm not sure what it is since I bought the original computer 2nd hand, but its a really large heat sink with a large fan mounted on the side of the heat sink (so that the fan is facing the bottom of the case), anyways...

As of now, I have it stable the system stable at 20% OC which is FSB 240 Mhz, HT 4x, CPU Voltage @ +3.3% 1.446 with the ram at 166 Mhz.
Idle:
CPU 38 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 37 °C
CPU #1 / Core #2 39 °C

Load (10mins of Prime95 Torture):
CPU 52 °C
CPU #1 / Core #1 54 °C
CPU #1 / Core #2 60 °C

I'm trying to hit a stable FSB of 240 MHZ. I read the stick on A64s which I was read else where doesn't necessarily transfer to the X2s. So I have a few questions:

a) What idle and load temperatures are "safe"?
c) Do I need to be concerned with all CPU temps ie CPU, CPU Core #1 and CPU Core #2?
c) How long do I have to stress the CPU before I get an accurate load temp.
d) What type of FSB should I be aiming for with this type of CPU?

a)50C or below is recommended (although up to 60C if it's stable)
b)yes
c)a couple minutes of Prime 95 running both cores
d)depends, everyone is different, I would suspect 2.4GHz as a min oc

is that voltage required to make it stable? if you could lower the voltage and stay stable you might be able to go alot higher, your temps are closing in the "heat wall".

I dropped the Voltage to 1.396 and the FSB to 234 Mhz (18% OC) and the system is under 50C at load for the CPU CORE #2, CPU and CORE 1 are both around 45C.

Whats the difference between CPU and CPU Core 1/2?

CPU 1 and 2 are the on die sensors, temp sensors right on (in) the CPU, the other sensor is usually mounted right below the CPU socket (motherboard). There is quite often a dicrepency between the 2 on die sensors and sometimes as much as 10C, especially with the X2's.

50C or below is recommended (although up to 60C if it's stable)

OMG really? My Manchester 4200+ runs STOCK at near 50C on idle and 70+ on load. I haven't checked the thermal specifications of the processor but with Q-Fan enabled, the cpu fan doesn't even go to 100% speed until you reach 72C.

With 10% overclocking, it's still in the 70's under load.

But even with Q-Fan disabled and fan running fast, it still idles at 40 some almost 50. (Note, these are stock heat sink and fan)

If what you are saying is true, i better check the thermal paste....not looking to get new HSAF for this old beast.

Correction: It's about 40-45C idle but still 70+ under load for stock speeds.

Last edited:
Back