• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
keep in mind I only wanna over clock about .2ghz, just enough to run DmC without a hiccup.

Be careful doing that. Make sure the fans together don't pull more than ~ 1A or you can burn out the mobo/connector.

So if I was going to OC my cpu a lil where would I start? I'm asking because the guide's I've read talk about HT-Links, I don't see one in my bios.

what you are going to want to do is go into cpu configuration and set your cpu overclock to manual. this should give you the ability to change the "Cpu Frequency". Change it from 200 to 205 and then stress test it, keep the temps below what was specified. If it is stable for 20 minutes up it again, When you get to a point where it isn't stable or the temps are too high back it down 5 mhz and then stress it for 2 hours using prime, watching the temps again. If it is still not stable, there are other parameters that may need to be changed such as adding cpu v core, backing down the multiplier on the Ht Link and Dram. We'll cross that bridge when we get to it.

So what is the Ht link? Is that the HT Bus Speed? I'm just wondering cause I've been racking my brain trying to figure that part out lol

Yes the HT link is the bus speed. When Mandrake spoke of the CPU frequency he's talking about the FSB or HT base frequency. This base frequency is used with a multiplier to obtain all the other frequencies. For example the CPU frequency is calculated from FSB of 230 x a multi of 20 = 4600 MHz. Your HT link would be 230x 10 or 2300MHz the north bridge works the same. The ram is a bit different but the end results are the same if you increase the BASE frequency it speeds up as well.
So OC'ing by using the FSB is a bit more complicated since you have tio consider the fact that every change to the base frequency changes 4 others.

good thing I waited

Well it looks like I'm going to have to wait awhile before I try and OC anything. My PSU just fried and took my video card along with it. I'm currently borrowing my roommates HP pos. But I figured out that if I sell my ps3/tv I'll net around 300 dollars, with that I can get a 3.2ghz dualcore amd, 500+W PSU and a Radeon 7750, which would blow my current out of the water and run current games on low graphics. I'll search again after I get the cash and see if there is anything a little better that I can get.

Teleformer if you are going to get a new PSU get a quality unit, you unfortunately have found out what can happen when a budget psu fails. A 500w PSU will be plenty for that system and you will still have room for upgrades. With both my CPU and GPU overclocked to the moon with 11 fans, 6 of which are led and a water pump all at 100% I barely get over 500W drawn from the wall. This is a really good psu for the money, you can also have a look through the power supply section for the recommended ones.

yeh that wasn't a budget PSU lol. Best PSU I've ever owned, lasted me about 3 years. Diablotek 750W, a friend of mine gave it to me cause it didn't work with his motherboard and he lost the reciept or something. I'ma miss the bajillion cables it had. It's ok, I plan on re-using the metal housing from it, figure I can use it for something. Possibly the wiring, I havn't decided yet. I am lookin at a couple of items on craigslist tho. Figure if I can't get someone to buy the tv maybe someone will trade for it.

I am always suspicious of power supplies I cannot find reviews on. I was able to find one on another Diablotek psu and the review wasn't so good.

Well I might have just found a bargain on craigslist. Now I just gotta check it and make sure it's all working, not over heating, etc. It's a am3 3ghz quadcore, 6 gig ram, a 9800gt (I'm ok with that, I like that card lol) and an asus motherboard. I asked him for more detailed specs. I'm just waiting on a reply. Oh, and a 1TB HDD

So after like 3 hours of takling to the guy he finally tells me e's not interested. He just wanted my trashed computer.

Back