• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new to ryzen! 3800x questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

steveokinevo

hey everyone!

I finally upgraded to AM4 and everything seems to be working good. at the moment everything is at default values. i have tried to use the DOCP in bios to help with memory but seems to not agree as it just beeps at me and eventually tells me it wont boot right and i have to get back into bios to set everything to optimized defaults, which is where i am now. my end goal is just to set everything to stable max #'s (NOT OVERCLOCKED) just wanna get the memory and cpu running at its peak. here's what it looks like these days....

new setup.jpg

thx for the help!

I see you have Trident Z 3200 but mow much and what timings. Maybe post a SPD tab shot from CPUz. The G.Skill usually works quite well hopefully we can get it straightened out shortly.

We still don't know how much total RAM you are running as you are only showing us slot 1 in CPU-z>SPD tab. How much total RAM do you have installed? Please attach the "Memory" and "Motherboard" tabs from CPU-z.

Attachments

• Slot 1.jpg
    Slot 1.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 505
Please edit your Signature to reflect the amount of RAM you have.

Right now you are running at 2311 mhz for your RAM.

To get the full 3200 mhz., try manually stetting the RAM frequency to 3200 and the RAM voltage to 1.35. If 1.35 doesn't get you there, try 1.4 volts.

Please edit your Signature to reflect the amount of RAM you have.

Right now you are running at 2311 mhz for your RAM.

To get the full 3200 mhz., try manually stetting the RAM frequency to 3200 and the RAM voltage to 1.35. If 1.35 doesn't get you there, try 1.4 volts.

fixed the sig.

i tried 3200 at 1.35 & 1.40. no luck, just beeps and loops. also tried 3200 at default. nothing.

Check your motherboards booklet, specifically which slot to use when you are only using 2 sticks of ram. My Taichi requires the ram in slot 2 and 4 when only running 2 sticks. It looks like you have populated slots 1 and 3. If my memory is right someone else had similar issues.

ram.png

Last edited:
this may be it..... you are correct as i just looked at the book. wrong slots apparently. its recommending 2 & 4

Updating now......

I thought I had the latest bios. Should I try docp again after?
of course! Make sure they are in the right slots. ;)

Edit:
this may be it..... you are correct as i just looked at the book. wrong slots apparently. its recommending 2 & 4
Well... hopefully that did it along with the flash. :)

Slots 2/4 or a2/b2 have been the primary slots for generations now. :)

of course! Make sure they are in the right slots. ;)

Edit: Well... hopefully that did it along with the flash. :)

Slots 2/4 or a2/b2 have been the primary slots for generations now. :)

seems it worked! no beeps or loops. started up and restarted into bios and its still showing the docp settings. is this looking better?

3200 memory.png

if this is all good, on to the CPU

im trying ryzen master for the cpu. tried it on auto OC and everything seems to run fine. are these temps ok?

temps.png

Those temps are fine as long as they're load temps. But realize that for games you will likely get better performance if you leave things on stock. The reason is that that these CPUs seldom overclock on all cores even to the max core boost frequency. Games seem to like high frequencies on a couple of cores rather than a lower frequency on all cores.

Almost 1.5v seems really high!

Forget about auto OC, do it in the bios if you really want to.

But as Trents clearly describes, keep in mind that you will most likely experience a performance drop in gaming.

Momentary voltage spikes of up to around 1.5 are normal for Ryzen CPUs even on stock settings. It's part of the max turbo boost algorithm.

Stevokinevo, what kind of stress testing have you done to confirm the stability of your overclock and max temps?

I would also recommend using HWInfo64 for monitoring your Ryzen voltages and temps. It gives a lot more information and seems to use readout labels that are more meaningful than HWMonitor.

with that said i put the cpu back to default through ryzen master.

what should i stress test with?

Back