• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to water, might be drowning!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Darkpyro:

When you say I need plenty of good airflow, is that because you're figuring the franken-radiator and the shade-tree-reservoir will be in the case? 'Cause that will not be happening. I know I'll probably have to add a bit more tube, but I'll be going outside with the homemade crap. Only trustworthy parts on the inside. Things with superglue or JB stay outside. Besides, if I do the radiator the way I'm thinking I will, it'll be around 30" tall!

BTW, I'm returning the store-bought stuff today. I'm thinking that, since I'll be getting the 655 now, I can rig up either the 1/2" copper or even dig out some 3/4" and build the radiator onto the reservoir so pressure won't be as adversely affected. Also, I'm going to get some aluminum flashing to make fins (I KNOW, don't mix metals INSIDE the loop). This will be all outside of the loop, outside of the case, and hopefully not given to condensation.

"What about that fog on the window?" "That is not fog, John. It, too, is condensation."

Aight, homeslices.... I've made my purchases. I bought nylon elbows to avoid the kinky stuff, and I bought the blocks I mentioned. I bought a submersible that is 500 GPH, but sacrifices a couple feet of head. It still hits 191 GPH at 6', though. I also purchased snake clamps.... or whatever the metal ones with screws are called. They seem like the most secure.

As for the radiator, I have plenty of pipe, so my radiator is going to be about 30". I was considering spiraling some copper wire around it to add surface area, and even drilling tiny holes every 1/4" so I can insert copper down the radius of the pipe. Of course, I'd solder the wire in and seal it well.... or just skip it because of how immensely lazy I can be. I also have three-or-four 140mm fans with metal casing laying around... I think they're around 80 to 100 CFM when powered at 12V. I also have lots (maybe six or eight) of 80mm fans that push plenty of air. The width of the rad will be 66mm at its widest, so 80s would cover it. Any reason to avoid a high CFM?

Remember:
I care not about noise. I have around 600 to 700 watts of tank blasts and carjackings surrounding me. What's a few more decibels?
I also do not care about room temps. If I have to suffer through 80-degree heat, I can open a window.
In essence, the typical downsides to ultimate cooling have no affect on me. The only suggestions to withhold are the ones with side-affects like hairloss (I have a righteous mane) or terminal cancer. Notice that I said TERMINAL. Oh, and I'm not buying anything over $5. Sealants and art supplies are awesome, but more piping or blocks from DangerGodTech for half of Britain's GDP "ain't on."

Yes yes, pictures WILL happen.

Also, I've had a chance to look at the fins in some radiators, and it really doesn't look like a hard issue to tackle. Most of these rads are flatpipe with a metal folded like a tight ribbon in the middle. I know aluminum sucks compared to copper, but I'm sure I could find a long, narrow piece that can be folded and pressed against the pipe. Bonding might be annoying, but I'd say I could case the aluminum in with the copper pipes at the ends. I could even use some thermal paste at every point of contact between the fins and pipe. In fact, these blocks and other things I've purchased have come with so many quarts of Arctic Silver that I could practically run it through my system instead of water (don't worry, I'm not THAT stupid).

Dude, I'm totally stoked to see what this looks like! I've gotten pretty into your project over the past week. I honestly can't wait for the pictures!

By the way, how much did it all end up costing you?

I'm still locating the right piece of metal to make the radiator fins, but the rest is going to hit about $225 after shipping. I suppose if you figure in the cost to me for the scraps I'm using to make the radiator shroud and reservoir, then about $227.50. The plexi I have could make at least three computer cases, and I got the whole thing for $5 because I knew the right people at Macy's when I worked there. I may have to throw in a bit more for some aquarium epoxy stuff.

Anyways, I'm actually moving in a slightly different direction with the fins. I went to an art supply place to find copper sheets, and the sales lady reminded me that I could buy larger-guage (10 or 8?) copper wired, run a heavy roller over it, then hammer it out and make some decent strips. I could get around 10+ feet of it, roll it, and instead of just folding it, I THINK I could push in a fin, wrap around the pipe, come back around with the "ribbon" and do a twist-tie effect to close the loop around the pipe, then place the next fin. I may even place thermal adhesive under each loop. This will be hard to explain without pictures, so when everything gets here, I'll try to get a camera to show what I mean.

I'm getting pretty excited. I hope it turns out. Tomorrow, I locate my oversized fans and prepare to build the reservoir. DREMEL 400XPR POWER..... ACTIVATE!!

Back