• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to watercooling, Where to start?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

oghabib

Hello all, Im new to watercooling. I am considering running a watercooled setup for my rig as im having heat issues with 3way sli. I watched some videos on how to set up a water cooled system. Im interested in seeing which items and from which brands you guys would recommend for a setup. Looking for higher quality items.

Im running a
In Win S Frame
5960x
3way SLI Titan X

Thank you for any input :)

Sticky Thread Sticky: Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Sticky Thread Sticky: The Ultimate Water Cooling Thread

Read it all twice and make notes.

Thanks guys, I've read the stickies. I was wondering which parts you would recommend for cooling 3 Titan X and what would work with my case.

Wow TBH I have not even had a chance to read what their TDP is ?

What CPU ?

Ultra Quite = 50 watts per 120mm

Medium quite = 75 watts per 120mm

Moderate = 100 watts per 120mm

loud IMO = 125 watt's per 120mm

insane = 150 watt's per 120mm

Please note, this assumes proper water flow

The TDP of the 5960x stock is 140 W BUT once you overclock look out! My 4.4Ghz with vcore set at 1.32 is estimated per PSU Calculator extreme to pull 248W!

I just ran Aida 64 Extreme stability test stressing all components with all my rad fans on high and my Kill A Watt meter was reading @770 W.

My twin D5s are set at level 4. Level 5 (max) would draw more wattage.

Personally, I'd spend some $$ buying a custom case (or even the Thermaltake Core X( I'm using) to allow for more rad space.

Stuffing WAY too much power drawing components in a case listed to support only 1 360 rad. If all you want is to water cool the cpu you are ok but if you have visions of water cooling 3 Titan Xs LOOK OUT! You need rad capacity. A single 360 WILL NOT suffice.

Think about it, you are going to spend $3,000 on 3 video cards yet not have a big enough case to water cool them?

You could use an external rad like the Watercool MO RA (I have a MO RA3-429 Pro 9x140 fans per side) to supplement the internal rad.

BTW, what PSU are you using?

Are you OCing the cpu?

Last edited by a moderator:
His case appears to hold two 360 rads? On on the bottom, one on the rear? The bottom at least holds 3 120mm fans...

770w * .90 (for your psu efficiency) and you are back to 700w actual, for the record.

But yeah, if.you are adding in your cpu, that is almost 900w you need to dissipate and 2 3x120mm Rads will not do the job... assuming your case can even hold two rads.

It's time.for a different case and at least 9x120mm worth if rad.

I read a review on the OPs case and it sounds like a magnificent case, expensive (@$800!) but small for radiators.

Without extensive mods which would probably ruin the case, you might want to try and sell it. With the $$ gained from the sale, you could probably swing a CaseLab or Mountain Mod case with tons more room for rads.

You could also do what I did, and buy a Thermaltake Core X9 for less than $200 BUT it won't be nearly as pretty as the In Win S.

Third option would be an external rad such as the MO RA3 or Phobya.

Since the OP appears to have enough $$$ to buy 3 Titan Xs (@$3,000) I would opt for a new and big CaseLab case which would have enough room for any rad combo.

Suffice it to say your case is too small to add enough rad capacity to properly water cool your cpu plus 3 TitanXs.

Here's how I calculate it. At stock your TDP of the cpu = 140Watts and each cpu =250W for a total of 890W. To have a decent watercooling system with low running fans to keep a stock system running quiet even at max you'll need 890w/130 120mm rad capacity or @7 rad spaces. Overclocking the cpu and adjusting the gpus to 275W output will easily bump it @200 watts for so 1090/130 =8.3 rad spaces or at least 2-480 rads.

See where I'm going?

For your setup to have some breathing room to OC I would shoot for a case that would hold 3-480 rads. Mine does but it is frankly too basic for someone who owns what you do case wise. Take time at the CaseLabs or Mountain Mod web site and do it right. You won't regret it.

Last edited:
Wow TBH I have not even had a chance to read what their TDP is ?

What CPU ?

Ultra Quite = 50 watts per 120mm

Medium quite = 75 watts per 120mm

Moderate = 100 watts per 120mm

loud IMO = 125 watt's per 120mm

insane = 150 watt's per 120mm

Please note, this assumes proper water flow

I actually don't mind your listing but yea, I usually say 100w per 120mm rad if you want quiet in the 400-1200 RPM range and loud if you're pushing more in the 2000-3000 RPM range. Of course it would also depend on the FPI but that would be based on the acoustics the user would want.

Back