• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to WC...Building Trial 1

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dragon_Pearl

Hello everyone, I want to thank everyone in advance who can help me figure this out.

I have a two-fold reason for wanting to watercool:
  • First need to reduce the noise level in my living room.
  • Want to cool and overclock slightly. I don't like that my video card runs 75+ C.
My budget is <$300. If the whole wc system costs more than that I want to build with future expansion in mind.

As far as tools go. I have access to a dremel and drill. However with that said if it involves more power tools than those I do not feel comfortable at all. I understand that because I am not comfortable with DYI it will cost me more but those are the breaks. Besides I really do not want to fry my system.

I do have a Thermaltake VA8000 Armor Case (Black) that I bought. I had WC 'ing in mind and do not want to do much cutting. I could do some small modifying to my case but this is my pride and joy. The best way to say this might be I want "Pretty".

The rest of my computer parts are listed in my signature.

Now, on with the show....

I have been exploring the options available mostly with "kits". It gave me a starting point. The three that I have interest in are Asetek WaterChill KT12A-12VX, the Innovatek SET R4D , and the Zalman Reserator 1 Plus.

After all the Googling and reading the forums my poor head is hurting. :bang head

I have no problem buying parts and putting something together so buying each piece separately doesn't scare me, I just want to do it right the first time.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

I am not set on buying a kit. That is just where I started looking. I have read many of the stickies here but some of the ones that dealt with buying a heater core for an old car kind of frightened me with what could be involved and so I thought I would start asking questions.

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob. :confused:

It looks like me an you are both doing the same with similar restrictions and wants. You might read through my thread as well. As as a WC newb I ask a lot of questions.

Certain car heater cores make good radiators, but you don't have to go that route. Lots of good computer radiators available, like Swiftech and Dangerden just to mention a couple. The main modding will be mounting the rad and getting good air flow through it. Take a little time to research and read, then start asking lots of questions... just like you're doing. Good luck.

Back