• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New trying to OC fx-6100 3.3 GHz to 3.8

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PS2junkie

Registered
My first build and I was just hoping to overclock to 3.8 so I can maybe run PS2 at decent rates. here's what I have:
CPU: amd fx-6100 3.3 GHz
Mobo: ASrock 970 Extreme4
GPU: Radeon HD7770 GHz Edition
Ram: 8BG KINGSTON HYPER 1600
Power: 600w
Windows 8 64bit
Stock cooler with diabloteck case w/4 fans
I'm trying to overclock using the amd overdrive program. Any help would much appreciated

That oc should not be hard to reach by just increasing the multiplier.One thing to be aware of is your motherboard specs.The Extreme4 has a "4+1" power phase,so I would not take it higher than 3.8g.Use the bios to make changes vs windows based programs.They normally give to much overhead when voltage is concerned.You need to do some testing with prime 95,to make sure your running stable,and temps follow suite.There are numerous oc-ing guides all over the net,or maybe someone here can give you the crash course :) Normally,you increase the multiplier,and run prime for 20 minutes to check for stability.Once you reach your desired oc,and your running stable,you could decrease the voltage by .025v,and test for stability.Continuing down until it blue screens,then increase it back up to prior stable oc.I dont mess with front side bus settings, ram speeds,or nb voltage.A good phase motherboard,and adjusting voltage is all I needed to get my fx6300 @ 4.4g w/1.3v.

Using a Hyper 212 Evo with 2 fans.Also using a Gigabyte 970A-UD3.Having a 8+2 power phase mobo,definitely helps,but you should be fine on present board @ 3.8g.

Last edited:
Download Cpu Z, Hwmonitor and Prime95. Run prime95 for 20 minutes at stock clocks with HWmonitor open. Then post a pic of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in cpu-z cpu spd and memory. post the pics using the in forum attachment tool under the "go advanced" tab and then click the paperclip to load them. As wipeout stated your board is going to be one of the limiting factors, on how much you will be able to overclock but you may run into heat issues before you even get there. We will see how it goes after you post everything.

If I start by increasing the multiplier how much should I increase it at first? My mobo is 970 extreme4 am3+socket if that makes any sense. All this may be over my head and step by step directions could help. I figured I would give the overclock a try and if all else fails upgrade cpu and cpu cooler

Not sure how to take pictures of what's on my screen I ran prime95 on
for 20 mions on stock setting and my cpu is at 34c(93f) on 90.00 W

I'm more a do'er vs a teacher,but consider the 970A-ud3.Its 99 dollars plus shipping.If you can wait,prices fluctuate on Amazon and NewEgg often. Your oc-ing worries will be solved! http://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-GA-9...ie=UTF8&qid=1361159258&sr=8-3&keywords=ga970a

Screen-shot-just hit the print screen button,then open up paint program in windows,and paste,then save as jpeg image.

Up your multiplier to 3.6 or 3.7 to start.Have all those programs running CUPID,Prime 95, ect..in separate windows,so you can see temps and voltages,and after 20 minutes of prime,take a screen shot,and post back. Upload your results using attachment feature here, for images.

Last edited:
ok I am running stable on the blend mode in prime95 I was maybe going to bump the multiplier up to 19.5 at 1.3 volts and call it good since everything seems to be good. My last question is do I have to change settings in the bios or will the settings I changed on the amd overdrive program be saved?

Attachments

• Screenshot (1).png
    Screenshot (1).png
    284.5 KB · Views: 743
My last question is do I have to change settings in the bios or will the settings I changed on the amd overdrive program be saved
Really? Out of courtesy to the people who are helping you that are doing it because they like to, you should read their entire response to your posts. If you re-read wipeouts post #2 he stated to not use windows based programs to overclock and to use the BIOS. Now, how long did you run prime for, if you haven't passed at least 2 hours it's not usually considered stable. I would also be careful about bumping the multi up more, you socket temp is getting toasty at 65c.

Last edited:
PS2Junkie, AMDOverdrive is not the way to go when overclocking. I have found it to misreport frequencies and voltages when you start taking things off of stock. You should overclock using the manual bios tools. We will take you by the hand in order to do that but I strongly encourage you to take the dive and learn to overclock the right way. The easiest way for us to help you with that is for you to take digital camera pics of the relevant overclocking sections in bios and then attach them with a post.

Also, make sure you go into bios and disable Cool N Quiet, Turbo core mode, C1E, C6 and APM before you start overclocking. Those are "green stuff" power-saving technologies that fight against overclocking.

Oh sorry I wasn't disregarding what he was saying I just wasn't following. It was late I apologize. Heres what I changed in the bios and was going to run prime again. I took a picture but for some reason the screen resolution is off when I booted into bios so everything wouldn't fit on the screen

Attachments

• IMAG0369.jpg
    IMAG0369.jpg
    782.9 KB · Views: 687
Sorry if I'm being an idiot. Im a true virgin when it come to Over Clocking. just trying to get my feet wet. Thanks for your patients

:bang headGot an error right after I started prime. Should I start lower?

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    226.1 KB · Views: 699
You probably need to increase the CPU voltage. 1.2875 is pretty low. I would add .025v. Then retest with Prime95 blend test for 20 minutes. Whenever you do a Prime95 stress test, make sure you have HWMonitor open in the background to monitor temps and voltages. Increasing frequencies and voltages causes temps to rise. You want to keep an eye on CPU temp and package temp. CPU temp is the temperature in the motherboard CPU socket area. Package temp is the temp of the processor itself. Actually, package temp is not a directly measured temp but a calculated temp but let's not go into that now. Both are important. You want to keep CPU temp at or below 70c and package temp at or below 60c. If either of these temps exceed those levels, stop the test. You are handicapped by only using the stock cooler.

So make that change in bios to the CPU voltage and retest. Post back with results when you are done.

OK I was only looking at the package temp but I noticed the CPUTIN was at 64 so I put the multiplier back to 18.5 and that temp seemed to stay at 62c running prime for 20 mins. Im guessing that's still too hot 18.5 with 1.3 volts is what its set at. Was thinking maybe I should get cooler master hyper 212 if I went higher?

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    382 KB · Views: 692
Ps2, overclocking takes patience and understanding in order to do it correctly. First a little bit of reality for you, your board isn't the best platform for overclocking on with a FX chip. We have found that these new processors need a lot of clean power from the VRM section of the motherboards in order to be stable when overclocked. You board, as Wipeout pointed out, only has 4+1 power phases in the VRM section. This may cause issues for you when overclocking and we will cross that bridge if they arrive. Second what 600w PSU do you have, it does make a difference.

What I feel you should do is lower your clocks to say 3.6 and then test prime for 2 hours, make sure your temps on the cputin stays below 70c and the package temp below 60. If you can pass 2 hours then bump the multiplier up and run it again, if it fails in any way you need to increase the V core 1 notch. This is where the process takes patience. Is it a pain to just sit an do nothing waiting for 2 hours of prime to run in order to see if it's stable, yes. This method works though and it is worth it.

If you really want to get a new heatsink the CM 212 + is a good low cost heatsink but you may find your board cannot handle the overclocks before you even run into temperature problems. I would worry more about getting it stable and then see how far you can take it, keeping the temps in check before you go buy a new heatsink.

Yes, it is obvious that you need better cooling. The stock coolers that come boxed with the processors are designed to be adequate only when frequencies and voltages are at stock levels. But here is a very important question to answer before you throw down bucks on a new cooler: How wide is your case? The CM Hyper 212 evo cooler (and any of the tower style coolers based on 120mm fans) will require a case which is at least 7.5" wide across the top. This is necessary to give clearance to the side panel. Do you understand the point I am trying to make?

So measure across the top of your case (outside measurement) or just post back with the case make and model # so we can look the dimensions up.

I feel your motherboard is adequate for the modest overclock goals you have.

Last edited:
I have been running prime for the last 1 1/2 hours at the last setting I posted and the CPUTIN seems to be staying at the mid 50s now. This might be a better question. I built this as a semi budget gaming system with hope that I could run most games on high and it has disappointed. From the specs I have listed above am I missing something that may improve my performance, how much improvement will I see with this overclock or was I just way off when building this rig? I am headed to work but I will keep checking back.
My power supply is:Thermaltake TR2 600W
The width of the case is only 7 1/4 so thank you for pointing that out to me.

If your case is only 7.25" wide then I would look at going with a self-contained water kit like the Corsair H100 or H100i if you want to upgrade your cooling. Or, buy a wider case. I would think your video card is the weak link in the performance chain of your system.

Back