• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new water cooling rad

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ecthellion

ive got an ek coolstream xe 360 rad that i need to replace, i was wondering is there an alphacool radiator that has similar performance to this one? any thoughts would be greatly apreciated.

The XE is the 60mm? That would be the UT60. You'll want to make sure to clean the rad really well, otherwise it should be a great performer. What went wrong with the EK?

its been throgh 2 burnt pumps and im not sure i can get it fully cleaned, i put together a new loop but my temps are not quite as good as they were with the ek rad. the pumps i was using basically froze up and there was a lot of black debris running throught the loop and the pump motors were scored which i believe introuduced a lot of metal particulate into the loop. it started eroding away the nickel plating on my heatkiller iv pro so i had to replace that as well, i basically just redid the whole loop.
- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

ill get some pics posted somtime tonight or tomorrow of the old heatkiller iv

Last edited:
IMG_5466.JPG IMG_5467.JPG IMG_5468.JPG IMG_5469.JPG IMG_5470.JPG IMG_5471.JPG IMG_5472.JPG IMG_5473.JPG IMG_5474.JPG IMG_5475.JPG IMG_5476.JPG IMG_5477.JPG IMG_5478.JPG IMG_5479.JPG IMG_5480.JPG IMG_5481.JPG MMMT5744.JPG VRPF6132.JPG
this was from the first burnt out pump, there was a blackish residue that was left on the tubbing that im pretty sure is in the old radiator, i dont want to reuse it and have that residue recirculating through my system, it seems really hard to get out and im pretty sure its inside the radiator

Last edited:
Wow that's a lot of damage. Did you post about that several months ago or was that someone else?

IMG_5959.JPG IMG_5960.JPG IMG_5961.JPG IMG_5962.JPG IMG_5963.JPG IMG_5964.JPG IMG_5965.JPG IMG_5966.JPG IMG_5967.JPG IMG_5968.JPG IMG_5969.JPG IMG_5970.JPG IMG_5971.JPG IMG_5972.JPG IMG_5973.JPG IMG_5974.JPG IMG_5975.JPG IMG_5976.JPG IMG_5977.JPG IMG_6016.JPG IMG_6017.JPG IMG_6018.JPG IMG_6019.JPG IMG_6020.JPG IMG_6021.JPG
this is from the second time i broke down my rig, i replaced all the tubbing, got a new heatsink and a radiator/res combo.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

yea that was me that posted, i was hoping cleaning everything out would help but in the end i just ended up redo my enitre loop, i think i need to go up a bigger rad tho, my temps are off which is why i was adking about the rad in start of the post

Last edited:
Wow, looks very frustrating and damaging. Seems to have cost a lot in time and money, sad to hear. Sorry if this was covered in another thread but did you figure out the original cause? Was it the original pump failing?

What parts are you trying to cool? We generally advise 1x120mm fan worth per 100W of power draw. A thicker rad will help somewhat, but it will not substantially compensate for inadequate area.

im cooling a 6850k, but the temps are about 5 to 10 degrees higher than my older loop, i replaced the heatkiller iv with the copper version instead of the nickel version this time and i got the smaller radiator so im tryin to lower the temps back to where they were. im not sure why the other loops went south, never really figured it out.

Only the 6850k or are you doing a GPU as well? Do you know how many watts it's drawing? Seems like 240 should be more than enough. What rad are you trying to use now? The EK rad that is suspected to be clogged or a different one? Are you sure you got the air bled out?

yeah im only runnning the 6850k on the loop right know, it was running in the lower 20's in the old loop, i usually play in the evening times when its much cooler, know the temps are in the lower 30s and they usally peak around 51 and 52.the new loop is using a alphacool u45 v.2, ive got my cpu overclocked to 4.3ghz atm

Last edited:
yeah they are bent, i dont know if that is factory design or not, but when i opened my new heatkiller,to clean it before install, which i got about a week ago the fins seemed to be slightly angled like that too, im not sure if thats the way they are suppose to be or if its a design flaw.

i was looking at this radiaor, https://shop.aquacomputer.de/product_info.php?products_id=2886 , and was wondering how well it performs, does anyone have any particular experience with this radiator? i cant seem to find out how well it performs. how would it perfrom up against something like this https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...acool-nexxxos-ut60-full-copper-560mm-radiator. i maybe doing a new system at the end of the so im starting to try to plan out my loop, plus i want a better rad as well. thx

Nobody has done reviews like that in some time, this is the most recent I could come up with. It is not the same rad but appears to be similar (although a lot can change without the appearance changing). https://www.xtremerigs.net/2015/05/18/aqua-computer-airplex-radical-2-copper-radiator-review/5/ It also appears to be rather expensive, but I haven't looked at thick 480mms recently to see how it compares in pricing. Most people use three brands: Hardware Labs, Alphacool and EK. There are some bitspowers thrown in and some others, but I can't recall seeing an aqua computer rad in use here.

yea, maybe ill just stick with the alphacool rads, maybe go with an alphacool 560 or a monsta rad.

no i havent acutally everr heard of digikey. im still trying to figure out which rad to go with, cant decide if i want to go with a monsta, or get another ek rad. i wanted to go with the monsta becuase i like the way it looks but it doesnt seem to have great thermal dissaptation compared to some of the other higher fpi raditors, im still looking at different raids

Last edited:
Digikey usually likes to sell in bulk, or at least you get a better price that way.

A monsta 560 or even the ut560 will perform very good, they have low density fpi because the are thick, and in order to be easier for common fans to drive air through.
For fans i would say EK-Vardar EVO 140ER Black BB (500-2000rpm) or Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC - 2000 pwm, with these you are guaranteed that no push/pull is needed.

Back