• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Wireless adapter, high latency and spikes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

I just bought a wireless adapter today (TP-LINK n900 tl-wdn4800).
I first tried World of tanks. It was unplayable. After switching to lan it had 280ms latency and sometimes spikes
with wireless adapter again it was 500ms when i first got into the game then reduced to 300ms-280ms and it had jitters but not like the first times

I then tried TF2. With my wireless adapter it had so many spikes and I kept teleporting backwards but with lan it had the same latency but it didn't spike(only did it few times)
it works good when i tether the same network using my note 4 other than slight lag but with my wireless adapter its unplayable!

EDIT: wot launcher gives error with wi-fi
I was testing it again with netgraph 2 in tf2 and my ms goes to 500ms when it stutters then goes back to 199-250ms
and the last time I paid attention the lags/stutters/teleporting back happened at same patterns!

Last edited:
Have you tried changing the wireless channel in the router? Sometimes interference (like refrigerators, microwaves, phones and even your house's electrical wiring) can interfere with a wireless signal, causing drops (the high pings you are experiencing).

Generally speaking, on most routers, you need to open a web browser and type in your DNS server's IP address (usually 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.254.254, easiest way to find out is to open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and look at the "DNS Servers" field). From there, you should be greeted with a login prompt. Default administrative logins are usually either "user" or "admin", and the passwords can be any of "password", "admin", "user", or the password to your wireless network. Then, you should be able to find a tab or section for wireless settings, and then a field or section labeled something to the effect of wireless channel. Default is usually channel 1, which if you live in an urban area, is probably what everybody else's channel is set to. Try changing it to channel 6, save the changes and reboot the router. Then try again.

If channel 6 doesn't do anything, try channel 11.

Have you tried changing the wireless channel in the router? Sometimes interference (like refrigerators, microwaves, phones and even your house's electrical wiring) can interfere with a wireless signal, causing drops (the high pings you are experiencing).

Generally speaking, on most routers, you need to open a web browser and type in your DNS server's IP address (usually 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.254.254, easiest way to find out is to open a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" without quotes and look at the "DNS Servers" field). From there, you should be greeted with a login prompt. Default administrative logins are usually either "user" or "admin", and the passwords can be any of "password", "admin", "user", or the password to your wireless network. Then, you should be able to find a tab or section for wireless settings, and then a field or section labeled something to the effect of wireless channel. Default is usually channel 1, which if you live in an urban area, is probably what everybody else's channel is set to. Try changing it to channel 6, save the changes and reboot the router. Then try again.

If channel 6 doesn't do anything, try channel 11.

I tried channel 6 and 11 it was the same on 6 and on 11 it showed the connection as limited and i couldn't even get to 192.168.1.1 .
It was on auto before!

It does the same with my brother's router

Few other problems i have with this is:
Sometimes after restarting my pc it requires me to enable it in device manager
and it shows me router which is like 2m away from my pc like it has no signal, once i connect to it i get full signal!

Last edited:
edit:

i tried it again today, without the tp-link driver(i did it last night and it made no difference)
now i had no problems on world of tanks, no problems expect 600ms latency :| i have 300 when i tether from my phone

edit:

I tired to ping 192.168.1.1 on windows and it kept going to 500-100ms from 3-7ms
on ubuntu 15.04 i did a ping to 192.168.1.1 and it was around 4-5-3 the whole time!

and my signal droppig fixed with removing tp-link driver and software and letting windows do it(there was no driver installation dialog but my device was now known as qualcomm in device manager)
its back :(
on linux i had a few 99-100ms after long time of pinging but i think thats different and normal!

Last edited:
Not sure for now but i guess using older drivers helped me! right now i see no spikes, barely small spikes that you barely notice(i think thats Wi-Fi's fault!).

Back