• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newb Ocer looking for advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rcole23

I am not one of those guys that just sits here and asks questions without trying to help my self first.

I just built this system, I am a computer tech and a gaming enthusiast (or I would not be posting here). Thing is I have never Over clocked before.

Here are my system specks.

Thermaltake Tsunami Dream Case
Intel Duo Core 2 now over clocked to 3.0gig
Seagate Barracuda 7200 2x80gig @160gig Raid Configuration
Antec 550 Watt Power Supply
Asus P5N32-E SLI Motherboard
Asus 8800 GTX Video Card DX10
OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 2GB (2x1024MB) Platinum Revision 2 XTC Dual Channel Kit 800 – 900 MHZ
Audigy Sound Blaster ZS Sound Card
Plextor DVD Burner
Optiarc AD-7170A DVD Burner
Fan Speed Controller x 4
Sony 3 ½ Floppy
Infinity Cpu Cooler
Cooling 3 x 120mm Fans, 1 x 92mm fan & 1 x Standard HiFlow Panasonic Fan
Logitech 5.1 speaker set
Logitech G7 Mouse
Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard
Sceptre x20 widescreen monitor
Windows XP Pro.

I have three questions for the experts out there.

1) Do you see any weakness in this system? Things I should change? I spent a lot of time researching and bought accordingly.

2) I ran 3dMark 06 and received a 10692. I have never run it before but everything was awesome..except for the CPU even with this much OC. It seemed to bottle neck. Why? Or is this normal? Is this a good score?

3dMark.jpg

3) I am hitting an over clock barrier at 3.0 mhz. I have seen people take the e4300 to 3.47 mhz most commonly and sometimes beyond (but not by much and with very expensive ram 500.00 bucks +)

I would like to hit 3.47 mhz but I am now starting to lack the knowledge, and reading more articles cannot provide the information I need, I need first hand assistance from someone w/ more knowledge than I. I have been reading them for two days to get where I am now, remember I have never done this before.

Here are my current OC settings and some pics of cpuz.

MOBO BIOS settings

AI tuning set to manual
Linkboost off
FSB - 1333 (333.33333 * 9) = 3000 mhz
FSB Memory clock rate - linked
FSB mem ratio 3:2
Vcore voltage - 1.5
mem voltage - 2.0
1.2v HT voltage - 1.5
NB core voltage - 1.5
SB core voltage - 1.5

CPUz pictures

cpuz1.jpg

cpuz2.jpg

Please comment and I hope someone out there can help. Maybe I cannot push this system any more, maybe I can.

The temps of the cpu's seem really cool and I have a lot of air cooling.

Please comment as to my current OC setup. I hope that I am not doing anything dangerous...as I would not know!

Looking for any and all assistance please.

Sincerely,

R. Cole :beer:

Last edited:
It is not uncommon for the e4300s to top out around that speed. Actually, I'd say its extremly rare for an e4300 to hit higher than 3.4GHz on air. You gambled on a low end chip and didn't get a good one. Like it or not, alot of this stuff comes down to luck... That is, getting hardware that clocks well. Keep in mind that when you see CPU-Z shots on a forums you can't always know if that was a stable clock, what kind of cooling was used, or if the person cherrypicked. Basically, don't expect to get what you've seen other get just because the hardware is the same or similar.

That said, lets see if we can't get this system performing a little better, and perhaps even bump your overclock up a little it. Heres a couple things:

1. Fix your memory timmings and run 1:1 for now. 5-6-6-17 is a bizzare timming. I'd manualy set it to 5-5-5-15. Also, set the memory to run 1:1 for now. This will help to eliminate the ram as being the cause for instability.

2. What kind of instability are you having? Is it a hard lock, or a BSOD? Give me some more information to work with here. Try running orthos on both small and large FFTs. Which one is stable, shich one is not?

3. Does more voltage help? Inch up the core voltage. Does this make the system more stable? Same for the MCH voltage.

I'll be available on Aim/Skype/MSN tommorow if you would like to discuss any of this or have me walk you through anything.

EDIT: and just a heads up... Hardware wise I'd say you did a good job. The power supply is about the only somewhat questonable choice. I've been less than impressed with the recent Antec units.

Long awaited reply

Sorry for the long wait time before replying. I have taken you advice and worked on my system pretty hard.

I am at work so I cannot post my current config but I have tweaked everything a lot and I have a fair understanding of what does and doesent work.

I will post a full config when I get home for your critique.
:santa:

Back