• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie Guide to Setting up Your Own Apache Server on Windows

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
haha, finally a guide.

since dfgold first posted his "how to guide", is it better to try newer versions of apache, mercury, filezila, etc. or is it better to stay with the versions he used?

if you have a current apache server running and you want to upgrade to a newer version do you lose everything or does the update automatically config itself?

hi guys!...... :)

good day to all!... :)

i have installed Email Server (Mercury Mail Trasport ) and configure it and its running okay..... i even tested it, i was able to receive an email from my other account....

now, my question is, how do i access the email i received at my MERCURY MAIL TRANSPORT?..... cant figure out how open or access the emails i get?..... :(

hope to here from u guys soon..... :)

A little supplment to this guide, i have been banging my head with few DNS clients for zoneedit.com :bang head . The free ones are tottaly lame! and the good ones costs money.
So i created one!
If you are on windows machine and you want my free zoneedit.com dynamic ip client
http://cpdns.cellphoto.net

Enjoy.

EDIT: I'm retarded, I accidentally assigned the wrong static IP to my computer running the server. No wonder port forwarding wasn't working. Sorry.

Last edited:
how can i protect the server [BigApache] from being accessed from outside of localhost, and how do you forward ports

can some one please help me

Thanks in advance

i know this was originally posted a while back, but i just wanted to say it's an awesome guide thus far. has inspired me to turn my A64 3000+ into a part-time server until my C2D is built and a full-time server (email, http, ftp, file server) at that time.

thanks to everyone who has contributed to making this one of the best all around threads I've read on this forums :beer:

How do I get PHP running on Big apache? A friend and I have been grouling over this for a few days now but cant figure it out.
Does anyone know how, or of a tutorial that is actually usefull. All that I have found have been so vague that you dont know what the hell your doing.
Any help would be apreciated.

diggingforgold said:
Configuring Anonymous Account:
An anonymous account is required for many browsers (such as FireFox) to be able to access and display the contents of a directory (in much the same way HTTP does in browsers). First you need to create an account named "anonymous" (with no password). Second, you will need to give that user access to a directory (example: C:\BigApache\Apache\htdocs\). Third, you will need to give that user READ and LIST privileges. If you want to let the user navigate through subdirectories, also give the user +SUBDIR access. Once your finished, you can type ftp://yoursite.no-ip.com and you will be able to display, via FTP, the directory contents.

Where do I type:-
ftp://yoursite.no-ip.com

I have a small problem.. I cant login to phpMyAdmin.. when i was seting up Appserv it only asked to create a root password.. im very new to all of this and a wouldnt mind a little extra help.. add me on msn if you can @
[email protected] thanks!!

~Dewy

omg thanks for the guide. could have used this when I was trying to learn how to set up ftp and http servers. I didn't know they came in a opensource package too. man ocforums is starting to look better and better.

and yeah guys watch out for the brute force attackers. when I was running mines with admin disabled and only anonymous read access. someone kept trying to login with admin, jeez stop hindering free spreech. website making sounds really fun if i were any good at it tho. I do know a cg graphic artist, maybe I'd think about doing some amateur stuff. i'm posting here for no reason other than to have it show up on my posts instead of bookmarking it somewhere.

Last edited:
Would it be better or easier/harder installing Apache, php, MySQL plus some other ftp and mail programs separately rather than using apserv (and similar) packages?. I am planning on setting up my spare pc as a webserver and being (very) new to this i just thought i should have a look around and found this post the other day.

I will be hosting a forum (phpbb3) with ftp and a few very basic web pages!

I just purchased a domain name and tried to set up ZoneEdit and DirectEdit so that my domain name points to my IP address, but it is not working. :( At the time I purchased the domain name I was given the option to enter custom nameservers, so I entered the ones given to me by zoneedit.com. If I go to the "Edit Zone" page on my zoneedit.com account, I do not see the warning about incorrect nameservers, so I assume everything should be working, right? What could have gone wrong?

EDIT: Nevermind, it seems to have started working after an hour or so. Thanks again for the awesome guide!

Last edited:
Anyone still struggling with setting up a server can go to XAMPP.com and download their simple package including Perl/Apache/Mercury Mail/ WebZilla FTP and a bunch of addons, very nice for the novice user.

This thread motivated me to setup my own webserver using it as a guide. I tried AppServ, BigApache and XAMPP. I've setup my first webserver, email server, photo gallery and blog. I am really happy with what I've been able to accomplish. This thread is a concise and informative resource, but some of the information needs to be updated. I thought I'd list some of my notes and opinions in hope that it would help the next guy.

XAMPP (http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html) is now a much better solution for who this guide is designed for. XAMPP is a distribution like Appserv or BigApache, but IMO provides a much more complete and accessible package. It comes in a lite and full version. It works with Linux, Windows, and Mac.

It includes Apache, MySQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, Ming, JpGraph, FileZilla FTP Server, mcrypt, eAccelerator, SQLite, and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql.

That is everything you need to do some powerful stuff with your webserver. And it is very easy to install.

Gallery2 (http://gallery.menalto.com/) is a great free photo gallery program to run on your apache server. It is highly customizable and full featured. This following link allows you to view the many different available themes, and it demonstrates the variety of pages that you can produce with it. You can setup user and passwords, restricted galleries, youtube like video hosting, automated registration processes, really just a ton of stuff. I'm using it to host pictures for my girlfriend's photography clients' pictures. They log in with a username and password in order to see their stuff.

Some other notes

Direct update now costs. There is a 2 month trial period, and the end of which your service will be shut off and it will no longer update zoneedit. You pay a one time fee of $25 for the program.

For zone edit, you get an account with 5 credits. For each domain you add, you lose 1 credit. For each year that an added domain is on, you lose 1 credit. After those 5 are gone you must pay $11 per additional credit. Because I registered a total of 4 domains, this could get expensive.

Wordpress (http://wordpress.org/) and Movable Type (http://www.movabletype.org/) are both powerful blogging software with a wide user base.

Thunderbird is a nice free email client from Mozilla that you can use to check and send email from your Mercury server.

If I can think of anything else worth saying, I will.

Edit: For zone edit, you get an account with 5 credits. For each domain you add, you lose 1 credit. For each year that an added domain is on, you lose 1 credit. After those 5 are gone you must pay $11 per additional credit, or they will turn off service. Because I registered a total of 4 domains, this could get expensive, so I looked for free alternatives.

http://www.everydns.com/index.php offers the same service provided by the direct update and zone edit combo, but is completely free. It functions through donations. You are allowed up to 20 domain names.

Last edited:
Back