• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie here - Did I fry my intel i5-2500k?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jared80KA

Hey all -

So we all learn by making mistakes, and I'm pretty sure I made a big one while attempting my first OC. Here is my setup:

Intel i5-2500K
Gigabyte z68a-d3h-b3
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212+
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 1600
EVGA GTX 560 ti

Before attempting the OC, I spent (what I thought was) a considerable amount of time reading guides and getting prepared. When I finally attempted it, everything in the BIOS looked good. EXCEPT when it came to setting the Vcore. Instead of an option to set vCore to 1.35, I had the Dynamic Vcore option.

I don't know what the hell I was thinking, but I initially set this to +0.3. Not +0.03, but +0.3. (I know now this should have been left to +0.00 and only increased if needed.) I saved, booted into Windows, and fired up HW Monitor and CoreTemp. With my board, HWMon showed voltages of 1.06 (which I also know now that this is the QTI value, not vCore). I don't remember what CoreTemp showed, but I didn't like it.

Seeing this, I rebooted into BIOS and saw that my voltage was 1.67! Yikes. I reset the BIOS to defaults, rebooted, and all levels were back to normal. I haven't tweaked them again.

I have used my PC a bit since this happened and haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. But I know every guide I've read basically says 1.6v = instant death for CPU. And I was above that limit.

So here are my questions:
- Since my mobo uses Dynamic Vcore, and I was only logged into Windows for a minute and didn't stress test, is it possible my CPU didn't hit this voltage since it wasn't under heavy load?

- Even if it seems to be working now, is there a good chance I did some serious damage and my CPU will be eating dust very soon?

- Should I attempt to overclock again (now that I've learned the hard way) or leave it at 3.3ghz and just pray for survival?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I used to think I was a smart guy...

You should be fine the CPU was never under any real load at that vcore nor for any real amount of time

Jared,

I think you're fine too agreeing with what Janus said.

Did you see this Featured thread?

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7036736#post7036736

RT

Thanks for the reply RT. Yes, that's actually the guide I used. The problem I encountered is that my BIOS doesn't have the standard Vcore setting, I have to use the Dynamic Vcore. I then thought my Vcore would be the sum of the QTI + DVID (hence the original DVID setting of +0.3).

Now I have a better understanding and am hoping I've dodged a bullet.

My first i5 2500k i killed doing the same thing only i was stress testing and then it was causing BSD Blue Screen of Death at stock settings and i had to get a new one.

I told intel i made a mistake with voltage and they said they would warranty it one time only.

looks like you dodged a bullet and you should be safe to overclock now.:popcorn::cool:

No worries.

I took mine to 1.65v to find the max multi. 8 month later, it was still running rock solid @5GHz/1.49v.

Back