• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

newbie ic7-max3 owner needs advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orbotrox

Hey all!

I just bought a new rig this week and after reading about the vdimm/vtt issues with this board I'm wondering if I should return it.

On a related note I looked for the mc64 cap that seems to be at the center of stabilizing the vdimm issue and its not on the board, just two solder spots. Does this mean my board doesn't suffer from the vdimm issues??

My goals for the this rig are to build a rock solid gaming rig that I can oc (air cooled) to a 3.0 range and still be relatively quiet.

Here are my specs:
p4 2.6c
ic7-max3
corsair twinx 1024-3200c2pro
stock intel hsf
radeon 9800xt
2 seagate 7200.7 sata

Case: Xaser III Super Tower with included power supply 420w silent purepower

My two questions are: should I keep the rig as is?
and two, are there any suggestions to what I should replace to attain my goal.

Any advice is welcome to this newbie overclocker.

Thanks again.

/me drools

send me that IC7-Max3 and i'll keep them for just hmm about couple of years to see if it'd survive the vdimm issue or not...i'l take the risk and test it for you mate.

:D

If the mc64 cap is missing, then it has been modded for the vdimm stabilication issue. The VTT is another story, but it's only a problem if you use vdimm from 2.9v to 3.1v. As long as you keep the vdimm at 2.8v or less, you'll be perfectly fine. If your goal is only a modest overclock, you'll have no trouble. All my signature rigs are both regular IC7 mobos with max vdimm setting of 2.8v if that gives you an idea that you don't have to use super high vdimm unless you are super hardcore.

Re: modest overclock

Thanks for the reply guys. Batboy thanks. I was looking for first-hand stories of what a modest overclock would experience on this board. I'm also looking to upgrade my hsf. Any suggestions?

:)

I would go for the Thermalright SP-94, it's a wonderful heatsink.

Put a 92mm ~50cfm fan on it and you will experience lownoised highperformance cooling ;)

Last edited:
I have mine at 300fsb @ 3:2 2.8v on my kingston 3200 bh-5 @ 2225. Solid as a rock this board is fine. i am prime stable and i have had this board up to 3.7ghz before at loose mem timings. Its a good board even alot of people talk trash about it. The bad things on this board asus makes up for and the bad things on the asus board the abit makes up for. Its all the same just different!

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate all the advice given, especially by the senior members. I couldn't wait till monday or tuesday to test the rig out so I went with a zalman cnps7000 hsf. If I wasn't so impaitent I would have went with the sp-94. I've got a ton of questions but I want to read all the stickys to see if its been already asked. Thanks again.

Back