• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newbie to Overclocking needs some guidance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gibbs989

Registered
I have already received tons of help with overclocking my cpu from several people in these forums thanks again! I have found that 4.6GHZ is the max 24/7 OC I want to run anything higher requires an ugly amount of vcore that I just don't have the cooling for. So to follow the next step in my first OC adventure I would like to learn the why's and how's of overclocking my Ram to squeeze the most out of it that I can for 24/7 use even if gains are negligible I would really like to learn how to OC my Ram. My current settings are as follows. And the exact part number of my ram is G. Skill Ares F3-1866C9D-8GAB.

PS Im not afraid to do some reading so if you can direct me to any guides or threads regarding what I want to do I will certainly read up on them.

Attachments

• 4.6 242 fsb cpu.PNG
    4.6 242 fsb cpu.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 104
  • 4.6 242fsb mem.PNG
    4.6 242fsb mem.PNG
    39.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 4.6 242fsb.PNG
    4.6 242fsb.PNG
    42.5 KB · Views: 149
does your motheboard bios have an option to enable the xmp profiles? by the looks of it, the ram settings are on auto. you're already clocked above and beyond day to day usefulness, so anything here is just fine tuning. have you ran something like maxmemm to see what numbers you're putting up? i'd say, based on your xmp profiles, you could stay around the same frequency but tighten your timings; you could also set these timings manually.

I will have to check and see if I have the option for xmp profiles and the settings are on auto because I have no idea what I am doing when it comes to adjusting anything related to my ram. I have not run anything other than memtest86 for a few passes to make sure that it wasnt my ram limiting me with my OC.

Overclocking depends from used IC and it will be easier if you tell us at least part of serial number. Example : xxxx0240xxxxxx = Hynix so we need only numbers from 5-8.
In ARES 1866 are usually Hynix or Micron chips.
Timings from 1st XMP profile should be about right so if board won't read this profile then set it manually to 9-10-9-27 , command rate: 2N, voltage: 1.50-1.55V

I will try the timings from the first profile the S/N on the side of the sticks are 12382400270959 and 12382400270960. How do I check afterwords? memtest86?

Looks like hynix so try something like this:
1866 command rate 2N
8-10-8-27
8-10-9-27
8-9-8-25 ( probably won't work but good to try ;) )

Probably it will be running easier with higher clock than tighter timings so you can try also 2133:
9-11-10-27
9-11-11-28

Later can be memtest86+ but to check if memory controller is working good then best is to run something like Prime95/blend test for at least 1h.

Ok thanks a lot I will do some playing around today and see what is going to work.

If I try any of these timings I either cant boot into windows or get a BSOD and when I go back into the bios my mobo says I only have 4GB of ram not the 8GB thats installed.

Try higher CPU-NB voltage that is required for memory controller's stable work at higher clocks ( usually at 2133+ ). Also try higher memory voltage up to 1.65V. These chips are rated up to 1.8V by Hynix but it's generally max safe voltage and most producers are selling kits based on them up to 1.65V.

My CPU-NB voltage is set at 1.3 so I will try upping the voltage on the ram to see if that makes a difference.

so I have the timings set at 9 10 9 28 ran p95 for an hour and all seems good. These are the timings that the ram was supposed to be made for but when I first tried to run them I had all kinds of issues so i just let it go on auto. It looks like all I needed was the voltage bump to tighten things up. Thanks for the quick responses and advice.

If you are running memory @1866 then you can probably set lower CPU-NB voltage than 1.3V.

I had to raise the CPU-NB voltage to 1.3 to give me stability to have to NB frequency over 2400.

So I have settled on setting of 9-10-9-28 2T which is what my ram is supposed to be set at ran a 2 hour p95 stress test temps peaked at 58C on cpu and package (up 4c assuming this is from extra DRAM voltage) It just seems a little weird that I had to bump the DRAM volts to 1.65 to run these timings since it was rated for 9-10-9-28 @1.5v

Probably board is reading wrong some sub timings and they are tighter than it should so it needs higher voltage to stabilize.
This memory should work using XMP profile. It will probably set wrong voltages what you can change manually.

Update

It could very well be I have all the other timings set on auto as I have no idea how to go about setting them or if I should even adjust them at all. What I do know is that I either cant boot up or get failed workers/BSOD if I try to run timings any tighter than what the ram is rated for. I have also lowered my OC and will be running these settings 24/7 as they yield much lower temps at a significantly lower vcore. So I have these timings 9-10-9-28 @1.65v

Attachments

• 4.5fsb.PNG
    4.5fsb.PNG
    42 KB · Views: 75
  • 4.5fsb spd.PNG
    4.5fsb spd.PNG
    34.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 4.5fsb mem.PNG
    4.5fsb mem.PNG
    28.8 KB · Views: 77
Cool thanks for the help I would have been still chasing BSODS and dropped workers without your advice

Back