• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg NO MORE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think that may be a Cali thing, I think New York is that way now because they were tired if no one paying it.

I had to pay use tax for Colorado and then later on Texas residents when they purchased Mushkin products. I could have tried to zap the consumer with it but I never would have sold anything! I had free shipping on all parts also. I had very few sales to Indiana residents so it was no big deal. California was the killer!

What about NCIX...worse?
Same tax on everything here in Ontario. 13% no matter where or what company you buy from.

Food, gas, tires, washer fluid, furniture, electronics everything.
It's a lot, but pays for senior care, welfare, health care, verteran's care etc.

It works out in the end. :)

Same tax on everything here in Ontario. 13% no matter where or what company you buy from.

Food, gas, tires, washer fluid, furniture, electronics everything.
It's a lot, but pays for senior care, welfare, health care, verteran's care etc.

It works out in the end. :)

Wish I had free healthcare...there's the difference! I would gladly pay the 13%! As far as the Egg, I always try to give smaller businesses a chance whenever possible. The Newegg exclusives are sometimes unavoidable though. Best selection of G.Skill memory!

Wish I had free healthcare...there's the difference! I would gladly pay the 13%! As far as the Egg, I always try to give smaller businesses a chance whenever possible. The Newegg exclusives are sometimes unavoidable though. Best selection of G.Skill memory!

I paid ~$90 for the G.Skill's in my sig.
$90 shipped mind you :p

A bit late to the party (Well, that escalated quickly...), but yes as mentioned here, and in a few other threads, just because an online retailer doesn't charge you sales tax, doesn't mean that you aren't responsible for paying that tax to your state government. There are a few exclusions in some wonky states, but for the most part, as an individual you are obligated to claim all of your internet purchases for which you were not charged sales tax, and pay that amount every tax season. So complaining because you now have to pay taxes when you didn't before is basically admitting to tax fraud.

Newegg has of course gone to 3rd party (amazon does it, walmart, best buy...blah blah blah). I never buy anything I need in a timely manner from anything other than the primary seller. Lessen learned, if you still don't want to do business with what's most likely the most affordable and best customer servicing business in the market that's your call, best of luck doing better from another retailer.

Yep, no 3rd party sellers for me, just makes accountability more murky...

I have been buying from New egg for ????? maybe 2000. Back in the 478 days. Anyway I've never had a problem with them. Every business can't please everyone.... but I'm sure there's more great service then bad service. I said the same thing about gigabyte when my video card shet the bed. They took care of it and everything is good. Its how they handle the mistake that keeps us all as returning costumer's.

If you pay taxes on out of state purchases, then the taxes are being paid twice. How the government must love you. Started building in 1995, buying from Newegg since 1998. There is quite a bit of good with the Egg but you will never fully understand the severity of their monopoly until you sell computer parts yourself. My opinion of monopolies with computer parts is exactly the same as my opinion on monopolies in general. They are great for lower costs but terrible for smaller companies.

If you pay taxes on out of state purchases, then the taxes are being paid twice. How the government must love you. Started building in 1995, buying from Newegg since 1998. There is quite a bit of good with the Egg but you will never fully understand the severity of their monopoly until you sell computer parts yourself. My opinion of monopolies with computer parts is exactly the same as my opinion on monopolies in general. They are great for lower costs but terrible for smaller companies.

Their income tax is not your sales/use tax. Do you like your roads and police and water and gas and telephone lines and cable? If so, pay your dang taxes.

newegg doesnt have a monopoly lol there are tons and tons of sites that sell pc parts, they dont have the best prices either.

lol, settle down...until they open a warehouse/office in your state or change the laws which they would have to ensure as well, we'll be ok.

Even if a retailer does not have a physical presence in your state, you are still responsible to for paying the equivalent of sales tax on all purchases for which a retailer did not collect sales tax.

Will the government find out and penalize you? Doubtful. Is it illegal? Yep.

That's not what a monopoly is. In fact, it's pretty close to the exact opposite. If Newegg were a monopoly, they could charge higher prices than your mom-and-pop PC shop, because they'd be the only game in town. Newegg is the exact opposite, they charge lower prices because they can afford to buy in bulk. Attempting to sell computer parts yourself is an awful business plan... there's absolutely no way you can sustainably compete. To make a profit, you have to buy your parts from some other retailer (doubtful you get them directly from the manufacturer..), which is exactly what places like Newegg want.

Last edited:
That's not what a monopoly is. In fact, it's pretty close to the exact opposite. If Newegg were a monopoly, they could charge higher prices than your mom-and-pop PC shop, because they'd be the only game in town. Newegg is the exact opposite, they charge lower prices because they can afford to buy in bulk. Attempting to sell computer parts yourself is an awful business plan... there's absolutely no way you can sustainably compete. To make a profit, you have to buy your parts from some other retailer (doubtful you get them directly from the manufacturer..), which is exactly what places like Newegg want.

They buy in bulk from distributors. The same distributors that I used. Ingram Micro, ASI, MA Labs, etc. I got certain products direct from manufacturers like Silverstone, Mushkin, Scythe, etc. Was working on Corsair at one point. I started out selling ONLY custom builds. Then everyone was asking why I didn't sell computer parts...so I did both. I ended up selling more parts than anything. I was trying to start selling liquid cooling parts also but my business partner fizzled out on me. Until a so called customer used fraudulent credit card numbers to order a bunch of extremely expensive stuff. My business bank account went to negative and I was forced to shutdown...temporarily. Anyways, when Newegg buys 10,000 GTX 680's and the distributor has zero to offer to your small business...naw that's not a monopoly...they're just greedy to the point of disgusting! As a matter of fact G.Skill is sold exclusively to ONLY Newegg...nothing drove me more nuts because I absolutely love G.Skill memory. Newegg exclusives...think what you want but you don't know the whole story so judge NOT!

As a matter of fact G.Skill is sold exclusively to ONLY Newegg...nothing drove me more nuts because I absolutely love G.Skill memory. Newegg exclusives...think what you want but you don't know the whole story so judge NOT!

Clearly, that's why I can also order it from Amazon or NCIX or Rakuten. Think what you want... :rolleyes:

To play devil's advocate for ratbuddy, the issue with having to click the radio button for "Sold by Newegg" is that the site requires you to click it every time you do a new search. It would be great if they could allow the user to set a preference to always search for products sold by Newegg.com as default. I have left feedback on their webpage requesting such a feature, as I couldn't find said feature in their account settings pages. Not having that feature won't stop me from ordering from them however, it is just a mild inconvenience for now. :thup:

Clearly, that's why I can also order it from Amazon or NCIX or Rakuten. Think what you want... :rolleyes:

That's because they get it from Newegg. I guess some people just have to argue with everything. Good luck getting under the skin of everybody else...your infantile tactics do not work on me.

Back