• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Open Box MoBo

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The only couple of times I risked it, they sent me a dry board, no accessories. Not even an I/O plate. That's very frustrating. Honestly they should have a listing of what accessories come with it.

Just saying, "You might not get the accessories" is really really narrow minded for the sake of your customers.

Just saying, "You might not get the accessories" is really really narrow minded for the sake of your customers.

NewEgg.com said:
If you purchase this Open box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE, meaning it is just the item itself. Accessory items are NOT INCLUDED with Open box products.

Since I can get all the parts separately if need be, I decided to risk it.

I got the MoBo a couple days ago, but I'm working on a case mod so I can't test it out yet.

Unfortunately the board came with NO accessories at all. That means no mobo shield, no LCD poster, no fan AND NO AUDIO CARD! :bang head

Anyway, I'll order the shield and the LCD poster (comes out to about $25 for the two) and forget the fan (for now). I guess for audio I'm stuck with getting a real sound card. Oh well... :)

Thanks for all the help guys, the board certainly LOOKS nice! :beer:

You might concider sending it back...by the time you get everything...you have killed your deal and odds are only a few more bucks will get you a full retail version...

Did it come with a WB or HS for the NB cooling?

BTW - Those are real sound cards that come with the Formula...the RE actually has the next step up for its sound card...

I just chatted with Newegg customer support. They gave me an RMA for refund with no restocking fee because I'm a "very good customer" and they appreciate it. Now I just have to decide whether to return it and get the retail, or buy the accessories.

It comes with a HS for the NB. It comes attached. I don't believe the formula is supposed to come with a WB, is it?

How good is the sound card it comes with? Is it just like onboard or is it actually GOOD?

The only couple of times I risked it, they sent me a dry board, no accessories. Not even an I/O plate. That's very frustrating. Honestly they should have a listing of what accessories come with it.

They have already told you what comes with them. They tell you that absolutely none of the accessories come with the board. 0.0 of the accessories are included. So when you make the conscious decision to purchase a refurb / restock board, you are buying a board that you know they have told you has absolutely nothing but the board included. I don't see that they are being anything other than 100% honest here.

Now that being said, if you get lucky and some items that are not included with the item happen to be in the box with it, all the better for you hehe. If you want to guarantee that you will have everything the retail box comes with, buy a new one. That is what it boils down to hehe.

Thanks for sharing your experience BigBadBaz. I was considering an open box purchase of a motherboard as well, but will steer clear for now. I was lucky enough to receive an open box Epox 8K3A+ motherboard with all the accessories from Newegg years ago.

So what do you guys think? Should I Just keep this mobo and buy the LCD poster, the mobo shield and a sound card (e.g. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102024) which would still be a bit cheaper and probably a better sound card, or should I return it for a full retail one?

Does anyone know just how good the sound card is as compared to one like the aforementioned?

Also, if I return this mobo, I'd end up paying return shipping on top of everything else.

Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

I have bought 3 open box mobos in the last year all have been box damage only. I would be happy playing the lottery again for just shipping! I would RMA it for another open box!

The sound card is worth getting my on board soundmax is crap as far software. This is on a p5q-e...

little late for what i have to say but i have got open box stuff that had everything and didnt have any thing, of course usually when they didnt have any thing it was alot cheaper than retail

Definitely get full retail box.
f3144cefe89a60d6a1afaf7859c5076b.gif

Just call Asus for accesories

Mine came bare bones with no accessories as I expected. However knowing Asus free replacement warranty on MBs less than one year I called them (510-739-3777) and told them I bought an open box from Newegg that did not come with any accessories. The young lady was very nice and said no problem I can send you out the i/o plate, optional fans and a pack of 3 thermal sensors for free. This is all that I needed since I already have plenty of cables laying around and extra sound cards. This is definately an awesome deal.

Mine came bare bones with no accessories as I expected. However knowing Asus free replacement warranty on MBs less than one year I called them (510-739-3777) and told them I bought an open box from Newegg that did not come with any accessories. The young lady was very nice and said no problem I can send you out the i/o plate, optional fans and a pack of 3 thermal sensors for free. This is all that I needed since I already have plenty of cables laying around and extra sound cards. This is definately an awesome deal.

Wow! I'm going to need to try this. I tried chatting with them without success. But I'll definitely try this one out!

Thanks Cryptic, I'll let you know how this turns out.

EDIT: I've been looking around for this free replacement warranty and don't see it mentioned anywhere. Can you please give me a link to some info on this warranty?

Last edited:
BTW - Those are real sound cards that come with the Formula...the RE actually has the next step up for its sound card...

Ha. Ha ha. With the cover off it looks like the picture. It may be a real card, but the audio quality is crap compared to a real real card. It's actually quite a bit worse than many onboard audio chips on other boards I've had.

^ So you think I'd be better off just getting a $90 card like one of the Asus Xonars or HT Omega (I'll post the links when I'm at a computer)?

I will still try getting the accessories like Cryptic said, but it just in case that doesn't work out. I may even want one of these cards anyway if I'm convinced it's worth it.

Either of those are good. If you do a lot of gaming, you might want to get an Auzen X-Fi Prelude, for EAX support.

Wow! I'm going to need to try this. I tried chatting with them without success. But I'll definitely try this one out!

Thanks Cryptic, I'll let you know how this turns out.

EDIT: I've been looking around for this free replacement warranty and don't see it mentioned anywhere. Can you please give me a link to some info on this warranty?

Who have you been chatting with Asus or Newegg? The number I listed was for Asus, you will not get anywhere with Newegg except maybe a free RMA.

Assus warranty period for motherboards is 3 years, however from my experience they will typically send you replacement accesories for up to one year from date of purchase without any hassle.

Here is a link for the accesories if you have to buy them, like I said Asus shipped them to me free of charge.

http://estore.asus.com/shop/category.asp?catid=594

Back