• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neweggs new layout is incredibly terrible

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GatorChamp

So I am on newegg this morning and I noticed that advance search is now gone and is replaced with some new check box monstrosity. Normally there would be options at the top of the search to go between different types of searching, but there is just power search now. Am I missing someone or did newegg just make it 50 times hard for me to look for stuff on their site? I'm calling them today if this is the case...da fuuu. :mad:

Same for me. I had gotten earlier and hadn't noticed the change, but of happened within past few hours. I can see what you mean by it will be harder to find, but in general it is going to be a lot friendlier to noobs, and they probably others will just use the power search..

So bad!

I've not had a post here on OCF for a while. I built new rigs for myself at the end of last year and that pretty much took care of my personal hardware needs for a while. Further my personal life took me away from having to service any other hardware up until now. So all in all I was a pretty happy camper.

But it is the season when I'm going to be near relative's computers and I thought I'd brush up on what is what so I went to good old Newegg.com. I was shocked and pissed.

Just to highlight what is wrong. You can no longer search RAM by size. Let me make that clear. You can't go into their web site and say I want 8G of RAM. Never mind the fact that you can't sort by speed. You can't even sort by size anymore.

WTF.

And that issue is indicative of what has happened to their search options across the board. Want to search for a motherboard by what chipset it has? Nope, can't do that. Want to search what type of socket it has even? Nope, sorry.

That something that dysfunctional to system builders would even go live is beyond me. When putting together a system or upgrading a system the need to make sure that all of the parts are going to work together is critical. That I would have to dig though page after page of items just to manually check that the motherboard is indeed the correct type for my CPU and RAM is insane.

Has there been some change in Newegg's execs? I don't mind the idea of them offering listings for other retailers but to downgrade their own search functionality is unacceptable.

Ya, that must have changed this week.. As I recall a few days ago searching ram by size.

It is a joke. I am finding myself to use the "search within" field toward the top left of the posts - a lot more than I like.. as I almost feel like I could be missing products that do not list that specific in title..

Then again in the past, the items often did get put into wrong categories in the side.

I'm in total agreement, try searching for a motherboard, you can't even specify what socket you're looking for. Terrible update to the website!

There is no justification for that change to the website. As I said that they let this version of their website go live is just unacceptable. The data is there in the specs field.

So my question again is did something happen with the Newegg execs? I personally will not be using Newegg now or recommending in this state. Further that they have done such a thing is damaging to their reputation.

When I speak to people over the upcoming holidays I can no longer say that I like Newegg and that they are a good company to do business with.

I'm actually going to call tomorrow and just ask one of their phone reps what is going on. Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all that.

I fixed the title. Don't want to be too nice.

Just took a look myself and that is horrendous. Rising prices and horror stories of bad support has been driving me away as of late. This is just another item to add to the pile: now we can't even find the items we want to buy, so they can't charge us higher prices or rip us off when it comes to support.

Actually, now that I think about it, is that good or bad? Maybe someone internally does care about us. They know what we'd go through buying there and are valiantly deflecting customers before the purchase takes place. Ingenious!

I fixed the title. Don't want to be too nice.

Just took a look myself and that is horrendous. Rising prices and horror stories of bad support has been driving me away as of late. This is just another item to add to the pile: now we can't even find the items we want to buy, so they can't charge us higher prices or rip us off when it comes to support.

Actually, now that I think about it, is that good or bad? Maybe someone internally does care about us. They know what we'd go through buying there and are valiantly deflecting customers before the purchase takes place. Ingenious!

Thanks for this, Thiddy- the "horrendous" reality of the customer's experience needs to trickle-up the food-chain to the attention of those at Newegg that make critical decisions. This isn't the first time that the design of NE's site has flirted with dis-functionality, but sure seems to top any fubars that have been previously implemented. :shrug:

I hope they get it fixed soon it has been a mess for a while, they had it fixed last week now it is bad again they should of just left it alone.:(

Thanks for this, Thiddy- the "horrendous" reality of the customer's experience needs to trickle-up the food-chain to the attention of those at Newegg that make critical decisions. This isn't the first time that the design of NE's site has flirted with dis-functionality, but sure seems to top any fubars that have been previously implemented. :shrug:
I honestly can't believe that someone at Newegg saw the new layout and approved it. No one stepped back for five minutes to use the interface and see that it was horrible to work with.

Newegg UI Update Checklist:
☑ It doesn't explode
☑ It looks cool
☑ Can describe it with those hip new words those young kids made up
☐ Make it easy to use
☐ Add features that people would actually want

Seriously, Newegg: give me a full time job and I will tell you how crappy your website is to use. I'll be honest! I might even sometimes give hints on what you could do to make it not suck.

Well as I said I'm going to call in tomorrow and speak with a live rep. Hopefully they will be someone with their ear to the ground like I was when I worked the phones.

But if nothing else is Amazon now the place to go?! Really? It is not like I've never changed vendors in my life...hell I remember using Computer Shopper back when I put together my 1st 486 but Newegg always seemed so...good.

So again I ask, and this is my 3rd time so if nobody answers I'll stop, has there been a change in execs that has caused this change?

Oh, wow. Just a week or two ago, I was shopping for a monitor for a family member. I made heavy use of the resolution and screen size filters. I'd narrowed things down to a few options, but didn't bother to write them down.

Now I can't find them again! What on earth were they thinking? I literally can't find the monitors I was considering for purchase! Do they even want us to buy things??

I don't understand. Could this possibly be in error?

I honestly can't believe that someone at Newegg saw the new layout and approved it. No one stepped back for five minutes to use the interface and see that it was horrible to work with.

Newegg UI Update Checklist:
☑ It doesn't explode
☑ It looks cool
☑ Can describe it with those hip new words those young kids made up
☐ Make it easy to use
☐ Add features that people would actually want

Seriously, Newegg: give me a full time job and I will tell you how crappy your website is to use. I'll be honest! I might even sometimes give hints on what you could do to make it not suck.
Too funny Thiddy :thup: and I like the new title as well. Now if I can just figure out what my 10 yr old is saying half the time I'd be all set!

At the risk of being flogged... I don't mind it. :chair: :D

My search habits there are apparently different enough that the changes do not effect me too much. For example, regarding the socket thing, I never search by socket. I search by chipset. So I use "Z87 motherboards" (they are all on the same socket!). And then I can use the check boxes to widdle things down from there.

I search by chipset. So I use "Z87 motherboards" (they are all on the same socket!). And then I can use the check boxes to widdle things down from there.
Understood but you can't narrow down Z87 Motherboards either, unless you type it in the search functions. Which isn't that big of an issue, but say I'm looking for an AM3+ motherboard and I want to narrow it down to 990x and 990fx chipset. Again non of this is all that difficult to get around, but isn't the web designers job when doing updates, to make it easier to navigate not harder?

Sure there are... I can select intel motherboards (link at the top), then it has the makers below in the check boxes.

To put it another way, I use the search bar to start. So in your example, I would type in 990x or 990FX and widdle down that way.

ngpaint.jpg

Back