• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neweggs open box policy explained: NOT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The lady wasn't misleading you, you didn't like her answers and began to harass the poor lady. That's a pretty gentleman thing to do....

Boo hoo. If it was a guy my conversation would have been fine? Next time i get a girl on there, i'll request to speak with a man, that way i can really lay into him. Women just can't handle it. Please...

What makes you think i'm a guy, anyways? I know you guys all think you're knights, but women don't really appreciate being patronized anymore in this day and age.

*EDIT*
One more thing. My biggest concern was with the wi-fi antenna. Since its crucial to the functioning of the wifi system, is it included? According to the website it is not.

I argued something similar to this a while back, although with a twist. Newegg was selling two open box items of the same type. One with accessories and one without, for two different prices. It would be the equivalent of selling the motherboard in question with and without the Wi-Fi adapter for two different prices, respective of the accessory being included or not.

However, according to the representative, neither of the items included the accessory. So you basically had two purchase options, spend xxxx amount or xxxx+xxxx amount...you were getting the same thing regardless.

Newegg removed one of the entries after I complained, but only the entry that was listed with the included accessory...the more expensive of the two. The accessory is still not included...which can be debated until the end of time, I don't really care. Newegg contradicts themselves, at best, regarding open box:

Newegg said:
The pictures shown are from the NEW version of this item. If you purchase this Open box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE, meaning it is just the item itself. Accessory items are NOT INCLUDED with Open box products. Accessories are shown in the pictures so that customers will know what is missing from the item.

Also

Newegg said:
If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

and

Newegg FAQ said:
# What is a open box item? Does Newegg.com open box items or does the original manufacturer?
Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it.

Yet the reps still insist that it may or may not come with it. I'm paying for a possible bonus in my case. If both items had not been listed, there would have been no problem from me.

It really does no good to complain about this sort of thing here because someone will come up with an excuse for them or you'll just get someone to repeat to you what the Newegg reps do over the phone or on the chat. You can only stop buying open box, take your chances, or stop buying from Newegg.

Last edited:
I tried this again, it went a little better. Here are some excerpts.

Me: According to the website, no accessories come with OB items.

Evy: Open Box is an item that was sent back to us due to personal reasons ( no longer
wanted, change their mind , etc) It only carries a 15 day refund period only no replacement. The accessories are not guarantee to come with the
product.

Me: I understand they are not guaranteed, is there any reason no one can check though?

Evy: Unfortunately not.

No reason no one can check. Thought so :)

Me: Do you know why this policy is in place?
Evy: Due to the fact that this is a return item. It is very limited per the manufacturer.

Me: I'm sorry, i don't understand what you mean. Could you elaborate?

Evy: Since the item is returned, the manufacturer has set up a strict return policy in which we give out to the customers.

Me: A policy that you don't check boxes?

Evy: We check them as in testing to see if they work. However we have warehouses all over the states that we are not able to to check of what is inside.

Me: I guess i'm just a little confused. If the item is opened and tested, how is it not checked to see what's in it?

Evy: If there is accessories then it will be shown or listed on the product page. However there is no guarantee. You are taking a chance with a open box.

Me: I understand that. But i'm trying to figure out how an item is able to be tested, but not able to be checked for parts.

Me: I realize you have to cover yourselves, but i also don't understand why notation cant be taken on the contents of a box when it is tested.

Evy: Per the manufacturer request we send back all the accessories, If the accessories are listed then those open box items come with it.

Me: Send back the accessories to whom?

Evy: The manufacturer.

So now they are telling me they send the accessories back to the manufacture.

Me: Why can't newegg just check to see what is there?

Evy: I do apologize since we are not in the proximity within the warehouses that it is not possible to physically check what is in the box. It is just the item itself that is guarantee.

Evy: As I stated if there was accessories then it would be listed on the website. However there is no guarantee

Well now that seems like a logical answer, they simply have too many locations to check everything. But that raises a question...

Me: Just to clarify though, an item is tested when it's returned right?

Me: ...to make sure it works

Evy: Yes sir.

Me: Does newegg do this?

Evy: Yes sir.

Me: So how then is it impossible for newegg to check the items in the box?

Hmm, this is where it gets good.

Evy: I do apologize for the confusion, we do not test the products.

Me: So they aren't tested at all?

Evy: They are tested if they were returned to us defective. However people who are returning to us for personal reason are not tested.

Fair enough, seems a risky practice on their part, but whatever.

Me: But in either case, the items are not checked for contents?

Evy: That is correct.

So far what we have is this:

A customer buys a product, they return it for some reason. If it is returned for being defective, it is tested. If it is returned for any other reason, it is simply re-shelved as an OB and sold as is. This got me wondering...

Me: So what happens if someone returns a heat sink but instead puts a rock in the box?

Evy: Then we will throw the rock away and informs the customer about the situation.

...sounds to me that they do check the boxes after all, just as i suspected they do.

Evy:I do apologize however I have informed you of what an open box item is and how it is handled. As I stated again there is no guarantee, you may proceed to take a chance but that is at your discretion.

Me: I would just like someone from newegg to explain to me why this policy is in place, that you don't check for accessories. Who can i contact to get a straight answer.

Evy: One moment; let me get that information for you.

Me: Thank you.

Let me just pause for a moment here to explain myself to you, consider this putting on my flame suite. I understand the risks involved in buying open box items. Newegg.com isn't the only company to do this though. I've bought many products from bestbuy, for example, that have been returned.

They are cheaper for a few reasons. One is merely marketing. Take an OB ipod from BB (which i've bought before). You don't think tarnished packaging takes away from the buying experience? It is nice to be the first person to open a product. You pay a premium for this. Also though, typically the warranty differs, if not being absent at all. Lastly, you run the slight risk that its defective.

This has little to do with knowing what you're buying though. How can you sell a product and not actually know what the product is you are selling? This seems a bit crazy to me from both the seller and buyer's prospective. When i buy an OB ipod from BB i know what i'm getting. Most companies don't accept returned items if everything is not included with it. Newegg.com has built a great reputation because they take just about anything back. Unfortunately, what they have done is hurt another side of customer service It seems, based on this thread though, that most people don't care. You're willing to not know what you're buying because it's cheaper. This seems to be the sentiment. You are letting a company control you.

If th is is their policy though, that is fine. Most policies are easily explained though. This is a policy that does not have a clear explanation. Logic tells me that they don't have the time/desire to check every single returned item to make sure everything comes with it. You know what, i'm fine with that actually. I'd be fine with that if they would just tell me that too, but they haven't. Instead i get various conflicting explinations. Furthermore, this rises another issue. If that is the case, then one would imagine they aren't checking the returns at all. What then prevents me from returning something that i said wasn't actually going to be returned. Lets say i buy mobo X for $300, install it, and send back a broken mobo Y. Based on what they are telling me, this would "work". Certainly wouldn't be ethical, but it would work. This is why i mentioned returning a rock instead of a HS. Her response is what i expected though. That wouldn't work, it wouldn't work because they check the contents of the boxes when they are returned.

Instead of telling me this and then explaining that even though they check them, they prefer to list items as not coming with acessories for liability issues. If they would just tell me this than i'd probably write a letter to them suggesting some sort of system. For instance, why not something like this alongside OB items:

__This OB item comes with most accessories
__This OB item comes with minimal accessories
__This OB item comes with no accessories.

This would reduce "risk". Everyone keeps talking about "risk" including newegg, but it's a risk that isn't needed in my eyes. If i did end up buying that p5b deluxe and got it without the accessories i wanted, i would likely return it. This would cost me both time and money and it would cost them both time and money. It could be avoided.

Alas, this is all based on the assumption that i understand their policy, which i still do not.

Evy: Thank you for your patience...
Evy: Thank you for holding Me. After reviewing your question with my supervisor, his response is as follow. These items have been previously opened and returned by another shopper due to dissatisfaction, incompatibility or just no longer needing the item. They may not come with all the accessories, and they may have scratches or other superficial irregularities. All opened box items has been tested to be working, however we might not get all the accessories back from the previous customer so we do not guarantee that all the accessories will be included. Must customers who purchases opened box items just need the actual part and not other accessories. If you are looking to purchase this part and would need to have all the accessories then we would suggest that you purchase the new retail item instead of opened box.

Ahh...ok...seems like i can write that letter now.

Hawk

Let's see if we all have it correct.

1. You don't like their open box policy.
2. You think their open box policy should be different
3. You want the world to know you are frustrated with this.

I think we got all three. Move along...nothing to see....

Hawk
1. You don't like their open box policy.

Correct, but until about 30 mins ago i didn't even know what it was.

2. You think their open box policy should be different

I think minor adjustments would benefit all parties

3. You want the world to know you are frustrated with this.

Incorrect.

Why are you reading/posting in this thread?

As others said:

1. They guarantee it comes with the ORIGINAL item, that is it.
2. You have a CHANCE of getting SOME accessories

I'm sure they do check them, but there is no way for them to label the items and sell it to people. What they do instead is mark them all as ONLY THE ORIGINAL item and you have a chance of getting the accessories ;)

But yes, it sounds like even the people that work there don't even know what the policy is, they contradict themselves many times.

Correct, but until about 30 mins ago i didn't even know what it was.

I think minor adjustments would benefit all parties

Incorrect.

Why are you reading/posting in this thread?

ahahaha
1. If you didn't know until 30 minutes why are you so upset and beating this dead horse?
2. Newegg doesn't think so and they are a multimillion dollar a year operation, and you gross how much?
3. Sure Seems like it.
4. Why are you posting this to begin with? Newegg has done nothing wrong and you are blowing something completely out of proportion. I am tired of seeing Newegg bashed here for stuff that is not Newegg's problem. We bash them enough, then they go the extra step like having a new egg on here to help us out etc....

ahahaha
4. Why are you posting this to begin with? Newegg has done nothing wrong and you are blowing something completely out of proportion. I am tired of seeing Newegg bashed here for stuff that is not Newegg's problem. We bash them enough, then they go the extra step like having a new egg on here to help us out etc....
I think you need to ask yourself why you are posting this. At this point, you are being pretty rude to him. I'm tired of people bashing the OP for a legitimate question.

This thread was not made to bash NewEgg, it was asking about the policy they have in place for returned items.

I think you need to ask yourself why you are posting this. At this point, you are being pretty rude to him. I'm tired of people bashing the OP for a legitimate question.

This thread was not made to bash NewEgg, it was asking about the policy they have in place for returned items.

Correct. I love newegg.com, they provide excellent customer service, a vast selection of goods and sell them at competitive prices.

I completely understand the reasoning behind their policy in that the amount of goods they move is likely too extensive to check every box to determine what the previous customer has included in it.

The issue i have is that they tell me that NOTHING comes with it. Recall, this is initially how my original conversation started, i was asking if this was indeed the case. I was then informed that this was not the case, that what they tell me on their site and what they practice is different.

This is not good business. Even if it might benefit me sometimes, this is not good business. The truth of the matter is that if that motherboard doesn't come with the accessories that make that motherboard more expensive, then i'm not going to buy it. Thus, if it is their policy to not send an item with any of the items then it would be my policy to not buy such products.

This actually isn't their policy though. Their policy, it seems, is to send back whatever has come with it upon return. This may mean that it comes with the accessories, it may not. This seems like a benefit to the customer, but in reality it isn't always because ultimately you don't know what you are buying.

Let us take a look at tiger directs policy:
Once TigerDirect receives an opened return unit it goes through a rigorous 7 point check to assure that our customers are getting what they paid for. There may be situations where a customer may have neglected to send back the manuals and some documentation so those situations are reflected in our low prices.

They say nothing of accessories, i then can assume that i'd be getting all accessories, right?

Now neweggs, which i just discovered is what her supervisor "said" :bang head
This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg.com often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they bear this limited 15-day refund-only return policy through Newegg.com. Such items can only be returned within 15 days of the applicable invoice date. Newegg.com cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including (but not limited to) scratches, dings or dents. Should these items prove defective following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg.com) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

As i mentioned though, this isn't actually the case.

Doesn't that bother you? If they don't follow this policy, then who is to say what policies they actually do comply with?

Furthermore, as i mentioned, if this is indeed their policy, then i'm going to buy with this in mind, and avoid open box items. But again, this isn't their policy, which means i may be spending more money than i need to be.

All i ask from newegg is that they follow their own policies and to be able to explain them when i ask about them.

When i asked about the policy i was told:

"we don't look in the boxes"
"we don't test the items"
"We do look in the boxes"
"We do test the items"
"We don't look at accessories"
"We do make sure we know what's in the box"

Well...what is it? Maybe the confusion with the customer services reps is the result of the company not even knowing or following its own policies.

This is dirty business, it's not clean. It's not fair to the customers and ultimately it isn't fair to themselves.

Include the accessories or don't. If you don't and simply can't guarantee what will be included, then just tell me that. But don't lie to me in order to cover your ***, ultimately that's what they are doing. The lie is in that they are telling me that these items are never included, and they are saying this so when i don't get something i was expected to, i have no leg to stand on. I understand the liabilities that cause them to do this, truly i do. What i don't understand is why they feel the need to mislead me.

Completely unrelated, as i don't run their business, i don't see why they can't implement a system like the one i described a few posts above. Ultimately i think that would save them money by dealing with less returns. As the CSR mentioned, "Open Box products do have considerable higher return rate than brand new items.". Why do you suppose that is? My guess is that, more often than not, people aren't satisfied with the product they bought because ultimately they weren't positive about what they were buying. You don't think this costs them money? If they implemented such a system, one that was more direct with what people were buying, they could then implement stricter return policies with OB items, even stricter than they already have. This could save them money, and their customers time. Everyone is happy...

I already explained my view on their open box policy in Jon's thread, but I will add this from that thread:

I think they should reword their open box disclaimer to say:

The pictures shown are from the NEW version of this item. If you purchase this Open box product you may receive only an OEM BAREBONE, meaning it is just the item itself. Accessory items MAY OR MAY NOT BE INCLUDED with Open box products. Accessories are shown in the pictures so that customers will know what is potentially missing from the item.

Last edited:
I agree 100%. It's a subtle difference but i think its implications are fairly huge. I know this whole thread would never have been written.

I thought the newegg rep was fairly simple to understand.

They test the product by sending it to the manufacture if its returned defective. They don't test the product if its returned as the customer simply just sending it back for other reasons than functionality. The manufacture checks to see if the actual item is still in the box and functioning but does not check for accessories. Newegg does the same for when they are returned for the other reasons than defectiveness.

There needs to be no correction. If you really want to argue over and over again with entry level tech support instead of someone in their policies department, you'll just be spinning your wheels.

I thought the newegg rep was fairly simple to understand.

They test the product by sending it to the manufacture if its returned defective. They don't test the product if its returned as the customer simply just sending it back for other reasons than functionality. The manufacture checks to see if the actual item is still in the box and functioning but does not check for accessories. Newegg does the same for when they are returned for the other reasons than defectiveness.

How can you be sure of this?

I've been told by two reps two different things, one rep told me two different things alone.

There needs to be no correction. If you really want to argue over and over again with entry level tech support instead of someone in their policies department, you'll just be spinning your wheels.

This isn't about arguing. This is about customer support giving me customer support. They don't even seem to understand their policies, how am i suppose to be able to?

Please re-read the initial post. It is a bash about their Open Box Policy. No where in it is a question about it. Heck even look at the title of the post. Me being rude? I don't think so. You being condenscending, yeah. So maybe you need to ask yourself why you are posting in this thread. Go re-read the title. Then go to Newegg and read their policy and tell me WTF is the problem? They post their policy on their page. It is quite easy to understand. The only problem here is someone self-pontificating themselves as the almighty customer and how they want everything explained to them. Policy was explained. They wanted to know why. That is really not needed as the policy is what it is and Newegg is the only one to decide differently. Please re-read the post, your post and the every that went along with it. This thread was started as nothing but to bash newegg for not giving the retail product away and open box prices. Period.

All you need to really do is decide if you are willing to gamble on all accessories being inside the box. If you are, buy the open box. If you aren't, buy it new.

The reality is that it is cheaper to have someone buy it, not like it since it doesn't have everything in it, and then do an RMA on it than it is to try to create some sort of system to do all of the things that you think would be so simple. So let's say that they have 10 open box mainboards. Each box is missing one accessory (one box missing backplate, one missing a cable, one missing a sticker, etc.). You call and ask them to see if the open box has the widget in there. They tell you yes. You place your order. Of course, that was the box where the widget was not the missing piece, but someone else placed an order prior to your order, so that unit gets shipped. The next open box in the pile is yours, but this happens to be one that is missing the widget. They send it to you, and you are dissatisfied with the product, but now you are also angry because they specifically told you that it was in the box! Double loss for Newegg. Now maybe you would just return it, or maybe you would create a website devoted to how much Newegg sucks based on your opinion of this transaction, or maybe you try to get some sort of class action lawsuit against Newegg along with anyone else who was told that an accessory was inside of the box but it wasn't there when you got the product. That is the risk. We live in the days of a criminal suing a homeowner when they hurt themselves during a break-in.

Again, if you want guarantees that everything will be there, buy it new.

How can you be sure of this?

I've been told by two reps two different things, one rep told me two different things alone.

This isn't about arguing. This is about customer support giving me customer support. They don't even seem to understand their policies, how am i suppose to be able to?

Dude or dudette, please get a total grip on reality. Their policy is explained many times over on their page. You are arguing a moot point. Newegg will not change their policy for you. Their policy is in place for their reasons, and they don't have to answer to you about the whys of their policies. Get a reality check and quit trying to scam them. If you want all the accessories, pay retail, if you want to chance it, order open box, period, but do not come here and complain about their policy when they have done you no injustice. Have you purchased your product? No, didn't think so, so that means you are not a customer. Just a potential customer. They provided adequeate customer support for someone being a complete *** to them and they kept their composure quite well, how would you have done? Get a grip. Get over it. You aint changing their policy. You want it all? Pay the premium, it's called retail...

Dude or dudette, please get a total grip on reality. Their policy is explained many times over on their page. You are arguing a moot point. Newegg will not change their policy for you. Their policy is in place for their reasons, and they don't have to answer to you about the whys of their policies. Get a reality check and quit trying to scam them. If you want all the accessories, pay retail, if you want to chance it, order open box, period, but do not come here and complain about their policy when they have done you no injustice. Have you purchased your product? No, didn't think so, so that means you are not a customer. Just a potential customer. They provided adequeate customer support for someone being a complete *** to them and they kept their composure quite well, how would you have done? Get a grip. Get over it. You aint changing their policy. You want it all? Pay the premium, it's called retail...
See my quote below please. Not being rude? You just accused him of trying to scam NewEgg. I do agree with you on your point, just not the way you are conveying your message.

Please re-read the initial post. It is a bash about their Open Box Policy. No where in it is a question about it. Heck even look at the title of the post. Me being rude? I don't think so. You being condenscending, yeah. So maybe you need to ask yourself why you are posting in this thread. Go re-read the title. Then go to Newegg and read their policy and tell me WTF is the problem? They post their policy on their page. It is quite easy to understand. The only problem here is someone self-pontificating themselves as the almighty customer and how they want everything explained to them. Policy was explained. They wanted to know why. That is really not needed as the policy is what it is and Newegg is the only one to decide differently. Please re-read the post, your post and the every that went along with it. This thread was started as nothing but to bash newegg for not giving the retail product away and open box prices. Period.
I don't need to re-read it. His question was implied. He was confused about the policies and was asking what other thought/knew about it.

I am done arguing with you and am removing myself from this conversation. If you want to discuss it further, I'd be happy to do so via pm.

/offtopic

Wait wait wait, where have i tried to "scam" anyone?

I can see i'm dealing with little kiddies here, like most computer forums.

Sad.

Wait wait wait, where have i tried to "scam" anyone?

I can see i'm dealing with little kiddies here, like most computer forums.

Sad.

feel free to replace scam with any of the following
1. haraass
2. bother
3. pester
4. annoy
5. abuse

The only little kiddie here is you. Go read your little rant you called chat with the Newegg rep and see if that is not the soundings of a child saying "why why why why?"

You want it all, pay retail, but don't complain how their open box policy says you do not get ANY accessories and you want them to check to see which ones you will get. You are guaranteed to get none, any in there is a complete bonus.

I want to understand the policy i'm about to agree to by purchasing a product. They couldn't really explain it to me. That isn't harassment, it's called being an intelligent consumer. Go back and look at my initial question to newegg.

feel free to replace scam with any of the following
1. haraass
2. bother
3. pester
4. annoy
5. abuse

The only little kiddie here is you. Go read your little rant you called chat with the Newegg rep and see if that is not the soundings of a child saying "why why why why?"

You want it all, pay retail, but don't complain how their open box policy says you do not get ANY accessories and you want them to check to see which ones you will get. You are guaranteed to get none, any in there is a complete bonus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back