• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Neweggs open box policy explained: NOT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to understand the policy i'm about to agree to by purchasing a product. They couldn't really explain it to me. That isn't harassment, it's called being an intelligent consumer. Go back and look at my initial question to newegg.

The policy is readily available on their site. It is pretty clear. Accessories do not come with Open box items. That's pretty clear. You decided to press further and ask leading questions and try to make it look like they should be doing something different. OPen Box: No Accessories. New Box: All Accessories. It's really pretty simple to understand. If you can't understand that, then you have some other deep rooted issues and you might want to seek professional help. It is harassment. It's called being an *** of a Consumer. I did re-re-read your initial post.

Title of Post: Neweggs open box policy explained: NOT

Newegg's open box policy explained: "Phoebe: :We do not guarantee the accessories for open box item. "
Explained again: "Phoebe: :There is no way to determine the accessories of the open box item since they are returned by our customers."
Explained again:"Phoebe: :Newegg is limited to the barebone part of the item itself. "

That's pretty darn clear there... explained 3 times... If you can't get it in those three explanations, then, well, you are not an intelligent consumer...

The policy is readily available on their site. It is pretty clear.

It's also inaccurate.

You didn't re-read very carefully. Why don't you take a look at how my conversation with newegg started. I asked if it was true that open box items never come with accessories, as their website indicates. They told me that that is not entirely true.

What we then have is an accurate statement regarding their policy. Their policy does not represent reality. Does this not bother you?

Newegg's open box policy explained: "Phoebe: :We do not guarantee the accessories for open box item. "

This seems to be correct. They could just say this in their policy, don't you think?

Explained again: "Phoebe: :There is no way to determine the accessories of the open box item since they are returned by our customers."

Incorrect. The item is checked to verify that the customer hasn't stolen from newegg, and often the item is tested.

Recall the rock in the heatsink box. I didn't ask that question to be a jerk, i asked it to find out if they check the contents of a returned box. They do...

Explained again:"Phoebe: :Newegg is limited to the barebone part of the item itself. "

Incorrect also. I was told this after i was told that they send the item back to the manufacturer for testing. Not only was i also told that newegg does the testing, but i was also told that if the accessories are included in the return and thus sent to the manufacturer when tested, the accessories are returned to newegg.

They are telling me that they only have the option to resell OEM because of the manufacturer when this is not true. The manufacturer returns everything back to newegg.

That's pretty darn clear there... explained 3 times... If you can't get it in those three explanations, then, well, you are not an intelligent consumer...

Newegg said:
The pictures shown are from the NEW version of this item. If you purchase this Open box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE, meaning it is just the item itself. Accessory items are NOT INCLUDED with Open box products. Accessories are shown in the pictures so that customers will know what is missing from the item.

OK, no items.

Newegg FAQ said:
# What is a open box item? Does Newegg.com open box items or does the original manufacturer?
Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it.

Ok, maybe some items.

Newegg said:
If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

Hmmm...

Phoebe said:
Phoebe: :There is no way to determine the accessories of the open box item since they are returned by our customers.

If there is no way to determine the contents, then why this?

Newegg Purchase Agreement said:
Customer agrees that all returned products will be 100% complete, in re-saleable condition, and will include the original packaging material, manuals, blank warranty cards, and other accessories provided by the manufacturer. If any component of the returned product is missing, Newegg.com's Return Procedure will be breached and Newegg.com may in its sole and absolute discretion reject the entire return or choose to impose additional charges against the customer for replacement of the missing component(s).

Taking those quotes, it's pretty darn clear that it is not clear, Mr. intelligent consumer.

OK, no items.

Ok, maybe some items.

Hmmm...

If there is no way to determine the contents, then why this?

Taking those quotes, it's pretty darn clear that it is not clear, Mr. intelligent consumer.

Ok. Here it is directly from Newegg.com
"Open Box items have been opened and touched and/or returned. Because they originate from different situations, they may or may not include accessories, documentation or retail packaging. Refurbishment is done by the manufacturer. Open Box products are warranted for only 15 days. We recommend that you try out your open box product immediately after receiving it."

Ok. It's pretty darn clean that the accessories may or may not be there. Period. End of Story. The may not means I may just get the main item, the may means I might get bonus materials. That's pretty easy to understand if you have an opposable thumb and have actively firing synapses. Giving the employees a hard time about this is harassing and assinine and makes the person look the fool, as his initial post. There is a HUGE difference between policy^^^^ May or May Not, and procedure. Hawk dude(ette) is splitting hairs on the procedure and not the policy. It's a pretty moot arguement that you both have.... They may or may not have the accessories, buy at your own risk, if you want it all buy it new/retail!

I completely understand that. Maybe it's my opposable thumb or my synapses firing, but it's pretty damn easy. I guess only the unintelligent consumers are hung up on it.

I get that too, but its not the only thing they are claiming.

Any reason you're being such a prick?

My issue isn't their policy, it's the vagueness and inconsistency of their policy. That make sense to you?...twit.

All of my quotes are from Newegg.com. I'll remain an unintelligent consumer and you can continue being played a fool.

I get that too, but its not the only thing they are claiming.

Any reason you're being such a prick?

My issue isn't their policy, it's the vagueness and inconsistency of their policy. That make sense to you?...twit.

Name calling won't be tolerated...from anyone.

All of my quotes are from Newegg.com. I'll remain an unintelligent consumer and you can continue being played a fool.

I guess you'd have to have purchased open box items from newegg before to understand how it works. :shrug:

maelstromracing and others have said it repeatedly, and its very simple: do not buy open-box with the hope of getting the accessories, if you get any accessory then consider it a bonus. Hell, if you get the actual product box consider that a bonus too, because newegg sets the precedent that you will only get a white box with the main product item. I mean c'mon people, they're discounting the product in the first place, and you're still getting a limited warranty in case the product doesn't work. What else would you have them do, place pictures of poker chips and roulette wheels all over the open-box section to further get the point across??

Yes, their website could be more clear on the subject, but in the end if you don't like how newegg handles their open-box policies then buy your products elsewhere. They could just get rid of the open-box section altogether, would that satisfy folks?

No wonder the newegg rep hasn't chimed in. :rolleyes:

I guess you'd have to have purchased open box items from newegg before to understand how it works. :shrug:

I have. About a half-dozen times.

maelstromracing and others have said it repeatedly, and its very simple: do not buy open-box with the hope of getting the accessories, if you get any accessory then consider it a bonus. Hell, if you get the actual product box consider that a bonus too, because newegg sets the precedent that you will only get a white box with the main product item. I mean c'mon people, they're discounting the product in the first place, and you're still getting a limited warranty in case the product doesn't work. What else would you have them do, place pictures of poker chips and roulette wheels all over the open-box section to further get the point across??

No, they could get their point across by changing their policy to reflect that. That is, afterall, what this thread is about. Not the "great deal or warranty" you get.

Yes, their website could be more clear on the subject, but in the end if you don't like how newegg handles their open-box policies then buy your products elsewhere. They could just get rid of the open-box section altogether, would that satisfy folks?

So I guess sticking my head in the sand is the way to deal with things that don't make sense. No thanks, help yourself.

No wonder the newegg rep hasn't chimed in. :rolleyes:

No wonder is right. Would he recite policy, or the same thing all other representatives on their site do? I don't know, they're two different things.

I have. About a half-dozen times.

No, they could get their point across by changing their policy to reflect that. That is, afterall, what this thread is about. Not the "great deal or warranty" you get.

So I guess sticking my head in the sand is the way to deal with things that don't make sense. No thanks, help yourself.

No wonder is right. Would he recite policy, or the same thing all other representatives on their site do? I don't know, they're two different things.

Humor me Jon,

Please tell me what part of the policy is confusing? The may or may not get accessories part. Please. I am interested hearing how that policy is unclear. Maybe Newegg can dumb it down some more for the rest of the masses....

I've quoted it twice.

Read. I can't dumb it down enough for you.

what you quote was two situations.
1. You don't get the accessories
2. You may or may not get some accessories.

This leaves, using logic, that if you do not get the accessories, that you will get some of the accessories upto including all. that's dumbed down pretty good that Forrest Gump can understand it.

That's pretty easy to understand. I might get some, I might get none. It's pretty dumbed down that only two people have issues with it, you and Hawk. Now since I am an intelligent consumer and I want an item and I want all the accessories, the open box route is not the way to go....

This is directly from neweggs policy page

http://www.newegg.com/Info/ReturnPolicy.aspx
newegg.com said:
Open-Box Items

* Return for refund within: 15 days
* Return for replacement within: non-replaceable

This is our Detailed Open Box Item Return Policy. Newegg.com often sells items that are listed as "open-box." Because these items are sold at greatly reduced prices, they bear this limited 15-day refund-only return policy through Newegg.com. Such items can only be returned within 15 days of the applicable invoice date. Newegg.com cannot provide replacement service for these items, as their stock is limited. The entire risk as to the quality and performance of these items is with the buyer. These items have been tested for functionality, but may have superficial physical defects including (but not limited to) scratches, dings or dents. Should these items prove defective following their purchase, the buyer (not the manufacturer, distributor, or Newegg.com) assumes the entire cost of all necessary servicing or repairs, unless otherwise required by law. These items are not covered by any 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Let me stop here for a moment. Do you recall this:
Evy: I do apologize for the confusion, we do not test the products.

Me: So they aren't tested at all?

Evy: They are tested if they were returned to us defective. However people who are returning to us for personal reason are not tested.

So, which is it? Are all products tested, or only products that have been returned because they are ineffective. I'm going to assume that all items are tested, i can't imagine why they wouldn't be. So...whatever, let us continue reading from their policy page.

newegg.com said:
If you purchase an Open-Box product you will receive an OEM BAREBONE item, meaning you will only receive the item itself. Accessories are NOT INCLUDED with Open-Box products, even if the missing accessory is required for the item to function properly.

That's very specific. This implies that the accessories, no...there is nothing implied, they state it specifically, no accessories. Fair enough.

newegg.com rep said:
Evy: Per the manufacturer request we send back all the accessories, If the accessories are listed then those open box items come with it.

Wait...what? That's not what your policy says.

Mr maelstromracing dudeman, i understand this is difficult for you to grasp but my problem is not with their policy. I actually get it...you get what was returned, nothing more, nothing less. The problem that i have...here i'll give you a moment to get ready for this, take a sip of coffee, maybe stretch a little bit, do whatever you need to to pay attention, ok...are you with me? Focus now...alright

The problem i have is that when i go to purchase an open box item, the website informs me that i will not, let me repeate for dramatic effect, i will not as in ever get accessories with an open box item. Alright mr maelstromracing dudeman, i know that was a complete sentence, its an unfortunate byproduct of proper grammar but i'm not done yet, so keep reading. When i ask newegg.com reps about this, because it strikes me as odd, they tell me that i might get accessories. *still not done yet, bear with me* What this means is that they have a very explicit policy on their website that they do not actually follow. This means that the policy that they inform me of is not the policy that they follow which means i'm being mislead. *still not done, keep reading, i know its tough* Now, if i get an open box item and it comes with accessories, this is a plus for me right? More stuff for the same price, this is a good thing. *still with me?* The thing is, this isn't about open box items nor is it about accessories. This is about principle. How can i trust what they tell me if i know that they do not follow their own policy? Does this mean they are picking and chosing what policies they want to? Does this mean that if i call in to see if i can RMA an item a single day after the time limit to do so, they tell me no, but you call in and ask the same thing and they may say yes? This isn't about products or money, it's about trust. Trust with a company that i value and trust with a company that i've spent a very large portion of my income into over the last couple of years.

This is an issue of customer service, not about specific company policy.

Do you understand this?

what you quote was two situations.
1. You don't get the accessories
2. You may or may not get some accessories.

What I quoted was exactly what is posted on Newegg's site regarding all open box items. It pertains to every possible situation.

My specific situation is simply what caused me to inquire about it. That is where I found that the site, and their employees, give conflicting information regarding open box accessories.

Not participating or blindly accepting what someone tells you does not make me, or anyone else, a moron.

If I want a new item, yes, I'll buy new. That is not, nor has it ever been, a topic of this discussion, however.

Anyway, I'll cede on this argument. You say might and not are the same thing, so OK.

This is directly from neweggs policy page

http://www.newegg.com/Info/ReturnPolicy.aspx

Let me stop here for a moment. Do you recall this:

So, which is it? Are all products tested, or only products that have been returned because they are ineffective. I'm going to assume that all items are tested, i can't imagine why they wouldn't be. So...whatever, let us continue reading from their policy page.

That's very specific. This implies that the accessories, no...there is nothing implied, they state it specifically, no accessories. Fair enough.

Wait...what? That's not what your policy says.

Mr maelstromracing dudeman, i understand this is difficult for you to grasp but my problem is not with their policy. I actually get it...you get what was returned, nothing more, nothing less. The problem that i have...here i'll give you a moment to get ready for this, take a sip of coffee, maybe stretch a little bit, do whatever you need to to pay attention, ok...are you with me? Focus now...alright

The problem i have is that when i go to purchase an open box item, the website informs me that i will not, let me repeate for dramatic effect, i will not as in ever get accessories with an open box item. Alright mr maelstromracing dudeman, i know that was a complete sentence, its an unfortunate byproduct of proper grammar but i'm not done yet, so keep reading. When i ask newegg.com reps about this, because it strikes me as odd, they tell me that i might get accessories. *still not done yet, bear with me* What this means is that they have a very explicit policy on their website that they do not actually follow. This means that the policy that they inform me of is not the policy that they follow which means i'm being mislead. *still not done, keep reading, i know its tough* Now, if i get an open box item and it comes with accessories, this is a plus for me right? More stuff for the same price, this is a good thing. *still with me?* The thing is, this isn't about open box items nor is it about accessories. This is about principle. How can i trust what they tell me if i know that they do not follow their own policy? Does this mean they are picking and chosing what policies they want to? Does this mean that if i call in to see if i can RMA an item a single day after the time limit to do so, they tell me no, but you call in and ask the same thing and they may say yes? This isn't about products or money, it's about trust. Trust with a company that i value and trust with a company that i've spent a very large portion of my income into over the last couple of years.

This is an issue of customer service, not about specific company policy.

Do you understand this?

Sorry, this is well beyond this thread's comprehension. It has run its course and must be closed. We're going to have to go down as conspiracy hounds. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back