• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

[NEWS] Rockstar confirms Manhunt 2 PSP hack

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
http://gamepolitics.com/2007/11/01/breaking-rockstar-confirms-manhunt-2-hack/

Rockstar has confirmed that, by editing config files available on a dumped PSP Manhunt 2 disc, players are able to remove the censoring effects applied to Manhunt 2's graphic kills.

However, it's not like this hack is easy to accomplish for the average person. You need to dump the PSP disc, edit the files, re-burn the disc and make sure you have a hacked firmware to play it with. More of a pain in the *** than it's worth, if you ask me.

Rockstar hasn't shot themselves in the foot . . . too much. More like grazed their foot. The ESRB states that if you leave content in and only modify it so it is not shown correctly, it's ok to do so long as you inform the ESRB about it at the time of submission. Rockstar has done this. They are in the clear with the ESRB. Unfortunately, the talking heads just don't give a damn about that.

Bah.

I was just reading though the comments of that article.

looks like no matter what, Rock star is not liable what-so-ever. They didn't put anything extra in the disc's that can be unlocked.

First off, a company CAN put in game content, then lock it out. its just that the rules state that the ESRB HAS to know about it. If the ESRB is notified of locked content, then having that content on the disc is 100% LEGAL.

but as i said, this hack does NOT unlock locked content. In this game, evidently there is a flash or something whenever you kill someone. making it harder to actually see the kill. what this hack does, is it goes into a .ini file and deletes 3 lines of code. The 3 lines of code is what creates the flash effect. By getting rid of the flash effect, you get to see the kills completely, without anything obstructing your view of the kill.

So while the hot coffee incident was content that was unlocked, this hack actually changes the game itself to a small degree. RockStar was forced to create the flash to get the game from a AO rating to a M rating. Its not their fault if people found out how to edit out the flash.

Also, this hack only gets rid of the flash. Evidently there was other content that they had in the game, but completely got rid of, and isn't on the disc. so the hack doesn't fully expose the game as it originally was.

the funny thing is, Rockstar themselfs said...

"We encourage them to enjoy our games as they are meant to be played."

its funny because the people who hack the game, are doing exactly that. playing the game the way it was ment to be played.

I know on the wii the kiling scenes are edited so mcuh it is hard to see what is going on. It really gets rid of what made the first one so good. I am hoping this same type of hack comes out for the wii simply because I want to play the game how it was made.

As for the comments on the article, I can assure you that yes, that is Jack Thompson and yes, he does act like a 13-year-old Halo player.

This is a hack that is in no way easy to accomplish, and does not unlock material that has been removed from the game (like the castration kill. This has been removed, not locked up). This is also different from Hot Coffee in that, like stated above and in the article, the ESRB has been informed of it's inclusion in the game code, and is OK with it being there. The ESRB were NOT informed of Hot Coffee.

Rockstar has covered themselves pretty well against the tech crowd. It's the talking heads they have to worry about.

As for the comments on the article, I can assure you that yes, that is Jack Thompson and yes, he does act like a 13-year-old Halo player.

Do you really think its him? Did you read all of his comments? Like this one?

This game will be banned I give you my word!

All you haterz can suck me off hard!

Well, some users use his name 'cause he's not registered on the site (makes him easy to ban), but the majority of the posts are his (his nick is 'jack thompson, attorney' sometimes he adds (and you're not) to the end of it). He's a **** most of the time, actually.

All it does is remove the stupid blur effects. It doesn't bring back the content that Rockstar removed, like the castration kill.

Honestly, I don't know why people are so worked up over this little thing. 1) It's not rocket science, but it takes some skill to do (or at least it did. There may be a no-nonsense patch out by now) 2) The ESRB KNOWS about it. They know about it 'cause Rockstar TOLD them about it. 3) If your 10-year-old manages to perform this hack, I think he's pro'lly mature enough to play the game, anyways.

It's not like we've got 10-year-olds buying the damn game, anyways. You'd have to be living under a God-damned ROCK to not know that this game is NOT FOR CHILDREN IN ANY WAY, SHAPE, OR FORM! Even mindless store drones know that, and probably wouldn't sell it to a kid due to that.

Also, this also seems to be an America-only thing. We don't get coverage like this in Canada. We just don't care, I guess. I have not seen one news report on any major Canadian news channel regarding the Manhunt 2 release, or how violent it is, or how it will rape your eyesockets and turn your children into mindless killers. :shrug:

Give it a rental first and see if it's your cup of tea.

I tried renting it last night but they didn't have it in for the Wii :(

Back