• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NEWSFLASH! Properly mounted blocks work better!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JeremyCT

That's right, boys and girls*, you heard it here first!

Do you want better performance out of your existing loop without changing your equipment?

Do you enjoy gear that works the way it's supposed to??

Then this Pro tip (just the tip) is for you!!!

Recently, I began doing some cryptocurrency mining on my system for giggles, just to see what it was all about. After a few days I realized I had a 5850 sitting on my shelf doing nothing, so I put it in my rig along with my 660ti which was part of my existing water loop.

I had to work pretty hard to get the 5850 in under 660ti without draining the loop (see build log pics in build thread in sig), but I got it done. Problem was, temps on the 660ti after re-assembly SUCKED. Before the change, I was seeing around 50 deg C under full load on the 660ti. Now it was topping 90 deg C.

So I put the rig on my desk and started poking around for obvious flaws. I found that one of the screws on the MCW82 had managed to loosen significantly. As in, there was a multiple millimeter gap between the head of the screw and the mounting plate on that one corner. I re-snugged that nut, then tightened all the fasteners down for good measure.

I haven't seen the GPU reach 40 deg C since. I have no idea what caused the nut to loosen exactly. It's possible that I didn't put enough oomph behind it when I mounted the block initially due to fear of cracking the die on the GK104, but who knows really. Obviously not I.

I'm just glad it was simple and I didn't have to drain, re-mount the bloc, re-fill, re-bleed, etc.

I'm both relieved and feel like a dope for finding a problem like this one. So make sure those blocks are properly mounted, folks!

Jeremy

*do we actually have any females here at all?

Back