• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

next upgrade decisions/help ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

georgebower1

Hi guys, been a bit of a long time reader but now need specific help from the forum so thought it was timed i signed up said hello and asked for some help, just wanted to say this site has helped a great deal with me already just from the info i have read so even if i dont get what i am looking for it is nice to just be able to say thankyou to you guys anyway ! :)

time has come where i have decided i want upgrade my build just need a bit of help deciding on which parts to upgrade ?

i will post my specs and what i was thinking and was hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction or maybe my choices were right ?

motherboard : gigabyte p55-ud3r http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

cpu : intel core i5 750 http://ark.intel.com/products/42915/Intel-Core-i5-750-P...

gpu : gtx 660 ti http://www.zotac.com/uk/products/graphics-cards/geforce...

ram : corsair ddr3 4gb http://www.ebuyer.com/173122-corsair-4gb-ddr3-1600mhz-m...

psu : corsair tx 650w

hard drive : 500gb 7200 rpm drive

now the upgrades i was thinking was to go to 8 gb ram, get a 256 gb ssd and then upgrade my gfx card at christmas time too a r9 290 ?

i want to spend about 70 each on the ram and ssd but could go higher if there was a good reason ( like for say 10 more you get much higher speed etc )

the graphics cards i dont need a link for as yet as will only be getting around christmas but any heads up or info wouldnt go a miss

i must admit i thought my cpu and mobo were out of date but someone told me there not that bad and to not worry as of yet to update ?

i am in the uk so any uk links would be appreciated , but if not i can obviously find the parts on a uk site

thankyou guys !

The SSD looks good. Also look at a Samsung EVO 840GB.

For RAM, I would just get two more sticks of what you already have.
1600 CL9 RAM won't be a bottleneck and 4x2GB still gets you up to 8GB :thup:

As for the GPU wait until the time you're buying.
There's new GPUs coming out very soon, so it'll be better to advise when you're ready to buy.

cheers would you say im best to upgrade them parts to see an increase in gaming or would it be better to upgrade my cpu and mobo ? i know both need an update really but money is tight and can only do one at a time so is it best to go for these now or cpu and mobo instead ?

thanks for the advice on the ram will go with that then, and yeahi was gonna wait till the time to decide on gpu but was just checking that i was along the right lines,
thanks for help !

An SSD is almost a must for a system now. They just make daily use more pleasing.

The GPU is the next thing I'd do for a gaming system for sure.
A CPU/mobo would help you some, but a GPU will help you more for now.

The next time you come around for an upgrade you'll be able to keep the GPU and SSD to reuse :)

GPU and CPU will be what really show you a performance difference in games. SSD will only affect load times and I'm honestly not sure what effect the extra ram will have :)

You will notice a difference in just about every other windows task with those two upgrades, though.

I take it that you have ~150 to upgrade with now?

If you can't do everything at once, then I think the order you have is good.

250GB 840 EVO SSD and another 4Gb of ram, now.

Them the GPU and, finally the CPU, likely going to whatever the equivalent of an i5 is then.

yeah unfortuneately money is tight at the moment, will go with that order thankyou both ?

one last thing am I being stupid but i cannot find like a thankyou button on here ?

Bottom left of the white bar below each post. Or if you're on the mobile app, I think you click the post and the option comes up?

There's no rep system or anything on the forum, though. We just help out of the goodness of our hearts (and boredom at work ;)).

oh ok thankyou very much anyway guys do appreciate the effort ! and hopefully it was better than work ;) !

Back