• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S 2.0 Dual Channel RAM timings/FSB must be set lower than Single Channel?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kaswyn

Hey guys and gals, the setup for my 2nd rig is listed in my signature. For a few months now, instead of running my 2500+ system at:

([email protected])@1.675Vcore in BIOS, I've been running it at:

([email protected])@1.525Vcore in BIOS with 1 stick of 512MB PC3200 Corsair XMS and timings of 8-3-3-2 @ 2.6V. It has been very stable.

I had another stick of 512MB PC3200 Corsair XMS memory in a different system, so I swapped it out and added it to this computer. My computer POSTS but wouldn't boot into Windows. I had to up my timings from 8-3-3-2 to 8/11-3-3-2.5 and currently have my FSB lowered from 215 to 200. Otherwise, Windows doesn't boot, or if I did, once I get to Windows, there's random reboots/freezes only a few minutes into the desktop.

EDIT: Now I just found out I need to lower my CPU multiplier from 10 to 9.5, or else Prime95 gives me an error during its test after only a few minutes. DoH!!!

Is there any known issues with having to run losened timings or lower FSB if I am running dual channel? Or could it just be that the 2nd memory stick can't handle as much?

On a separate note: Although the manual says to use DIMM3 slot first in that order, which is what I had before on single DIMM mode. But when I used dual channel, it won't even POST if I used DIMM3 slot. I had to switch the memory to DIMM1 and DIMM2 slots.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
does your ram pass memtest+ ok? UBCD can be helpful there if you haven't checked it out.

and with that board you have a wealth of bios options out in the world.

NF7's have a very hard time with over 512 of RAM. If you want to use over 512 I would suggest using a CPC off BIOS
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=4596525&postcount=2402

Yes, there is known issues with using more than 1 stick and with using dual channel. It just wasn't 'made' to use over 512 of RAM back then.

I'd try cranking my RAM voltage and a touch more Vcore. IF that doesn't work flash that BIOS and you should be good to go, or just flash it now, as it is optimized for NF7-S using more than 512 of RAM.

pimpinaman said:
does your ram pass memtest+ ok? UBCD can be helpful there if you haven't checked it out.

and with that board you have a wealth of bios options out in the world.

I found what the issue was. The new ram stick won't run at CL 2 too well like the old one. I tried memtest with the 2nd ram stick by itself and it finds errors at CL 2. Also, if I set the FSB too high AND use CL 2, the system won't boot up at all.

When I first inserted the 2nd ram stick into DIMM slot 2, my settings was already at CL 2, so it didn't boot. When I changed the two memory sticks from DIMM 3 slot + DIMM 2 slot to DIMM 1 slot and DIMM 2 slot, it booted up, but not in dual channel mode.

Now after I lowered the CL 2 to CL 2.5, and booted them in slot 3 and 2, it says "Dual Channel Enabled" at startup, whereas it didn't before. And surprise, it works at ([email protected])@1.525Vcore fine.

Back